Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini truck build....update Started

gray07

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Been making some mods to correct some shortcuts for an old Snap-tite kit.

Cut off the spare tire. I forgot to take a before pic, but it was literally just a round gob. As a kid, I thought it was the gas tank... :rolleyes: . Gonna mount an actual tire there for the spare.

102_2616_zpsgmydues5.jpg

Fixed the gaping hole in the firewall.

Before:

102_2612_zpsngdtroj8.jpg

After:

102_2617_zpsdipuxdik.jpg

Cut off the thick license plate bracket, and will recess the actual plate by mounting it on the frame:

102_2618_zpsqpbdguvw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a kid, I had two of these, so I used those Goodyear tires instead of the new blanks. I drilled out the divots, cause they're supposed to be full round holes.

Blurry front:

102_2665_zpsmtps4lyp.jpg

Rear and spare:

102_2664_zpsanareixc.jpg

I wanted to paint this a stock looking light blue metallic, but I also want to use the decals, and I don't think the colors of the stripes would look good on light blue, so I went dark. You can see the interior tub in the background painted the base color, I will be adding some med blue as the fabric part of the door panels and seats.

102_2668_zpspr8naz2m.jpg

That's two coats of warmed up Testors dark blue metallic spray paint. came out nice and (relatively) smooth. not going to polish this, cause I'm going for a stock-ish build.

Edited by Zarana-X

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the Datsun. It gave me more issues than I care for. The decals didn't adhere well, so I used Future to make them stick. Then the chassis wouldn't sit flush, because the interior was hitting the windows. So, I had to clearance the windshield, and the tab that held the interior tub to the body, in order for the chassis to sit flush. And I broke the shocks and spare tire off during my repeated test fittings.

102_2678_zpscz0ehtpn.jpg

Glad I spent the extra time to detail the Datsun script on the grille :rolleyes: , also added a radiator. You cant see it, but there's an opening behind the bumper, if I didn't add it, you would see the fan.

102_2675_zpsfxcqkzm6.jpg

You can sorta see the Datsun script here. The holes in the skid plate should be actual holes, but its a mounting point on th emodel, otherwise I would've opened them up.

102_2688_zpsp8vrjksx.jpg

Distributorless engine, not really enough room to add one, either. I did add a carburator, but you can't see it anyway.

102_2687_zpsnsgc5zjm.jpg

Added a rearview mirror.

102_2683_zpserynbri7.jpg

Replaced blob with an actual spare tire. (yeah, I know it has lugnuts in it still, I'm not that good) and added shocks.

102_2681_zps8icdfolm.jpg

For whatever reason, there's a pretty big gap behind the cab, and roll bar, so I made it a double tube to fill in the gap. Added the license plate from the original release.

102_2680_zpshcihltuk.jpg

The taillights are molded into the body, that's one of my bugaboos. Tried to shade them, but I have mixed feelings how it turned out. :unsure:

102_2679_zpsvpytciqg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Would anybody be interested in a mini truck build, they could be new kits or started trucks, of ones that you bought to redo. They can be any year, lowered, lifted, prostreet, tuner, custom, ect. anyway you want to build it or anysize, like 1/48,1/32 and up. Heres a list of trucks that i know of, if you know of any other let me know and i will post it. No end date.

ford rangers

ford couriers

toyotas

s10

gmc version

sonomas

nissan

dakotas

s10 bazers

samurias

cherokees

any other small trucks and suvs that i have forgot, no fullsize.

Ok let me know if you want to be involved in this, we will start this, Dec.26 and no end date, Only rule, just post build pictures and have fun.

Heres a list of people so far.....

Darrin----nissan 4x4

Grimreaper----

Airfilter-----

Diymirage----Datsun

Bandit1----nissan longbed

Timc----

Slammd454ss----1/20 ranger

Jared Roach-----S10

If it's still ok to join in (still no end date?),you can add me. I've been slow to build last few years (real slow :P:lol:),but I've been buying up some minis and have some idears needing out,soon as I get a little more done on a Tahoe,wanting to start a mini 

Edited by Olskoolrodder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had some unexpected oral surgery yesterday* so I'm not up to doing much around the house or getting out to enjoy the beautiful weather today,LOL,but I have been tinkering with the 720 a bit. Got some spray work done (hopefully it turns out ok),and have gone through th eparts box picking some interior bits that I like better,pics later today :)

*I was expecting to have a "simple extraction" of 1 tooth,but turned into surgery and non-simple removing of 6 all on the upper left,so not feeling all that great,LOL :P 

As promised...

Thinking hard about using these seats and center consol,stock 2nd gen S-10 parts (AMT kit)...

The hood and a spot or 2 on the bed needs a little cleanup of overspray before clear is shot,will try and get that (and either chassis or interior) tomorrow sometime :)