Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Mercury

StevenGuthmiller

Absolutely Beautiful Steven! Great idea on using the flexible plastic for your rear window! I did the same thing to my '57 Corvette's uptop when I wanted a rear window------and a regular clear plastic one was too "clear". Your reworking of Revell's '59 Chevy uptop for the Mercury is flawless.

Yeah, '59 Mercury styling is hard to forget...........imagine being three years old and being nearly run over by one! That's a true story that happened to me many years ago. :o

Thanks everybody! I'm just glad it's done! :) This was one that I kept putting off just because I'm not real excited about the styling of the '59 Merc. Adding the top added a little interest for me to get me going on it. I've always loved the silhouette of a convertible with the top up & the late 50s Mercurys had a very unique top. Steve

Absolutely Beautiful Steven! Great idea on using the flexible plastic for your rear window! I did the same thing to my '57 Corvette's uptop when I wanted a rear window------and a regular clear plastic one was too "clear". Your reworking of Revell's '59 Chevy uptop for the Mercury is flawless.

Yeah, '59 Mercury styling is hard to forget...........imagine being three years old and being nearly run over by one! That's a true story that happened to me many years ago. :o

I could understand the fear of one of these things bearing down on you Bill! Especially when you're only 2 feet tall! :) Steve

Excellent work Steve! It looks like it just rolled out of the showroom! I prefer photos in low light also. Yours do seem to have a blue cast to them. I get the best ones on an overcast day. If I take photos in the sun, it seems like the color gets washed out somewhat. The color always has a richer look to it in lower light. Plus, there's no shadows from mirrors or door handles.

Excellent work Steve! It looks like it just rolled out of the showroom! I prefer photos in low light also. Yours do seem to have a blue cast to them. I get the best ones on an overcast day. If I take photos in the sun, it seems like the color gets washed out somewhat. The color always has a richer look to it in lower light. Plus, there's no shadows from mirrors or door handles.

I mainly don't like the "glare" from being in direct sunlight. I also like to get photos on a slightly cloudy or overcast day. Or better yet, under some trees or such where you get a little of both. I probably should have adjusted the color saturation on my camera to make up for being in the shade, but, hind sight is 20/20. :) Steve

Thanks guys! I guess I'do have to agree with you. The more I look at it, the more it looks almost "gray" & black rather than green. But hey....you live & you learn. I have a lot of pics of other kits where they came out a little too "washed out" also. I usually try to get pics in at least a couple of different lighting situations & then I'll just let you all decide. :) Steve

I didn't know that Merc used that wrap-around window on their convertibles. I found out that Edsel used them on the Citation convertibles too. A guy at a car show yesterday had this beauty!

The Edsels were built on two different chassis in '58. The shorter wheel base Pacers were built on the Ford chassis & had the same top as the Ford, & the Citation was built on the longer Mercury chassis, so I guess it only makes sense that it would have the same style top as the Merc. Although I had forgotten about that until you reminded me. Steve