Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello, all-

I've finished much of my first Meng F-350, but I'm at a crossroads: what do I make with it?

I'm thinking of Logan Airport's Rescue 1:

http://www.capecodfd.com/Pics%20Fireboats/FB%20Massport%20Boat%2031%20Dedic%20112111g-02761.jpg

Any suggestions on paint?

I have duallies on order from Scenes Unlimited.

I need to fab or find the box.

I need to draw or find the decals.

Any advice from the cognoscenti would be greatly appreciated.

Best-

The paint, it looks like its a lime green color, Scale Finishes has a color that should be very close to that, other than the stripe at the bottom, the decals are going to be easy, just type it out in word, find the correct font and print them on decal paper, you will want to use clear decal paper .

Edited by martinfan5

Nice subject matter! If you decide to do Logan's Rescue 1, the above mentioned Scale Finishes color would be great! If you want to go the Krylon route, they have a color called Citrus Green that should work. Put it over a white primer. If you aren't adventurous with doing your own decals, give Firebird Designs a try. Several fellow modelers have worked with him recently and gotten great decals, quick turn around time and a reasonable price. Good luck with your project! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Ok. Engine, chassis, and interior done.

post-15569-0-16029500-1432952746_thumb.j

post-15569-0-85522300-1432952777_thumb.j

My general philosophy is to make a model look like "one year out, after a car wash."

That generally means engine and undercarriage are a bit grimy, and for work trucks, a grimy interior.

Dually tires and rims just rolled in from Scenes Unlimited; how to achieve faux shininess is TBD.

Next up: paint the exterior, scratch the box, draw a crapton of decals, and get scale diamondplate.

Any advice, please let me know.

(Other than "get a better camera." I know that one.)

Nice job on this one so far.

For utility beds. Spaulding Trading and Shipping has one. But I am not sure it will fit that particular truck. Modelhaus also has a couple that are very nice. But again not sure of the fit. Or as you mentioned .You could scratchbuild your own.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

• 2 weeks later...

SCI-FI,

If you have never scratbuilt a rescue box before, I will share my method with you. I build a 3 dimensional "framework", similar to stick building a house. Build each "side" separately, making sure that each is true and square. Drawing a template to scale and a miter box with a stop or chop saw can help. I like to use .080 or .10 square Evergreen stock. Once you have created your "rectangular box, you can glue it all together. The wheelwells can be square, as you will cut the circular openings in the sheet plastic "skin" tthat you will apply over the frame. Wheel moldings can be built by applying strips of Evergreen stock that is tall than the thickness of the side frame and skin. By using stock that rises above the exterior "skin" of the box, you can build up multiple layers of strip, the apply a small section of 1/4 round,styrene or simply round over the edge with a file. Pretty easy actually. You can use cardboard to gauge you spaces before you commit to more expensive styrene.

20140824_031146-picsay.jpg

1408499782_picsay-1408499782.jpg

20140723_214422-picsay.jpg

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

I measured the rear box of Massport's Rescue 1... and found that the wheelbase of the Meng F-350 is about 1 inch too short.

A "stock" F-550 has a 176in wheelbase, but Rescue 1 appears to have a 200in wheelbase.

Um...

This adds an unforeseen step: I have to cut the chassis and add about an inch to the rails, driveshaft, and exhaust.

I measured the rear box of Massport's Rescue 1... and found that the wheelbase of the Meng F-350 is about 1 inch too short.

A "stock" F-550 has a 176in wheelbase, but Rescue 1 appears to have a 200in wheelbase.

Um...

This adds an unforeseen step: I have to cut the chassis and add about an inch to the rails, driveshaft, and exhaust.

Yeah, it looks like the F550 cab and chassis models are available w/ a 200.8 wb (regular cab) or a 200.2 wb (crew cab), among other wheelbase lengths..

These are 2015 numbers, but I would assume previous years would be the same..

Wheelbase Regular Cab: 140.8" (60" CA); 164.8" (84" CA); 188.8"(108" CA); 200.8" (120" CA) SuperCab: 161.8" (60" CA); 185.8"(84" CA) Crew Cab: 176.2" (60" CA); 200.2" (84" CA)