Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Blue Beetle

This is a restoration of an original model that I actually built when I was a kid , maybe 11 or 12 years old ! I used only the original parts with no extra detailing or aftermarket goodies , and the only modification I made was to add the poseable steering .

It was in pretty bad shape so after I cleaned everything I polished the blue plastic and cleared it with TS-13 . The chrome was stripped and sprayed with Alcad Chrome . And I made my own decals .

Here's what I started with

And here's the finished restoration .

Edited by TooOld

Nice work. Did you have to redo the original decals?

Thanks Bob !

I printed decals that are basically a blue background on white decal paper . The white is still a bit transparent and some of the edges show where I cut the paper but they turned out okay .

I have a set of new decals from Billy Gooche that I'm saving for one of the new kits .

Wow. Impressive resto. Very very nice, especially considering you were able to get it to look that good without paint.

Thanks very much Bill !

The plastic has to be prepped before paint anyway , so I figured why not polish it a little bit and clear it . I'm very happy with the results .

Beautiful job Bob!!!! I would never believe it was the same model if you hadn't told me. Great history on this one also, I am very impressed. It really looks super next to the Little T, very cool! 5 Stars *****

Thanks Ron !

I've always ignored these early Monogram kits but now that I've restored a couple I really like them ! :)