Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear it ILLINOIS modelers

Monte's Motors

N.W. Suburbs here also. Been going to Al's hobby shop since I was a kid. Raced RC cars for many years all around the midwest. I remember all of the old school local H.S. we used to have around these parts and miss all of them deeply.

It's nice to know that other folks also got into RC cars. I started racing rc cars at Stanton with my son. Back then we had a pair of RC10-DS's then we graduated to HPI RS4 Pros. Went out to Leisure Hours to attend the HPI Challenge and managed to win the Concourse Challenge. Started building and detailing Tamiya's and went to Trackside (Wisconsin) several times to attend the Tamiya TCS races. Also managed several "Best of Shows". I still a have an unfinished project sitting in the closet :lol: Anyway, it's good to talk about RC again. Had so much fun. Wish we had a sub forum for it.

It's nice to know that other folks also got into RC cars. I started racing rc cars at Stanton with my son. Back then we had a pair of RC10-DS's then we graduated to HPI RS4 Pros. Went out to Leisure Hours to attend the HPI Challenge and managed to win the Concourse Challenge. Started building and detailing Tamiya's and went to Trackside (Wisconsin) several times to attend the Tamiya TCS races. Also managed several "Best of Shows". I still a have an unfinished project sitting in the closet :lol: Anyway, it's good to talk about RC again. Had so much fun. Wish we had a sub forum for it.

I still have this box in my garage....... I wont say what kind of old VHS tapes are currently kept in there. But I loved the car and could not get rid of the box when I sold the car.

I have spent so much time at L.H. over the years.... I do miss it.

post-13809-0-04515100-1398533001.jpg

I still have this box in my garage....... I wont say what kind of old VHS tapes are currently kept in there. But I loved the car and could not get rid of the box when I sold the car.

I have spent so much time at L.H. over the years.... I do miss it.

Haha...nice one Mike. I think those are pretty rare. Funny thing is I managed to hang onto my electric DS:

IMG_1049_zps1af50e53.jpg

It was an absolute pile of understeering junk and easily the worst RC car chassis I've ever owned. Stanton used to have a parking lot series and I used it for a couple of seasons until we switched to the RS4.

Hate to be the bearer of awful news but.......heard today that Als hobbys is biting the dust tomorrow (5-3) went there tonight but they closed early. Im gonna try to stop by tomorrow (was told they will be open 9:30-5:30)

• 2 months later...

There's gonna be an NNL style model car show and an outdoor swap meet in the parking lot of the Algonquin Township Office at 3702 US Hwy. 14 in Crystal Lake, Illinois on August 3rd, 2014 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The swap meet is free to all, vendors included as you'll be selling out of your car trunk, pickup bed, or "easy up." Check it out.

• 2 months later...

After all the years I have been on here kinda surprised I never made it on here.

Born in the city, raised out Hoffman Estates, Cary, and Elgin. I now live back in Cary. My dad had a factory on the far south side and I would spend a lot of time there and my grandfather had his factory on Belmont. Both now long gone.

I moved to Wyoming for school and down state for college, fell in love with the small town feel. I would like to move down south, really liked the people down there when I worked down on the Gulf. People were VARY easy going and it was weird to see not one 4x4 truck with a plow around Christmas time.

But do the deceased vote in the Windy city?

A few years back it was noticed that some of the prominent founding fathers of St Louis voted in the elections.Pierre Laclede, Augustus Chouteau, even Adolphous Bush voted.

Laclede's been dead for nearly 150 years........................

Ah the joys of city living.

G

Won't be long now. Do people still bother installing snow tires in the winter ? My first job when I lived in Oak Lawn Ill. was at a service station and I put on many a snow tires for people. Most didn't even bother to have them on a rim so I had to dismount the "normal" tire to install the snow tire plus balance. The old time bubble balancer . I actually enjoyed doing that. Got a pocket full of tips.