Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mpc annual Dodge chargers 1966-1974

iangilly

There was slso a Richard Brooks Charger Daytona kit. And it was NOT the same kit as the K+K car.

The Brooks kit has a full blown Nascar chassis , where I think the K+K has a stock chassis and interior

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-BROOKS-NASCAR-CHARGER-MPC-1-1705-225-OPENED-/252243323863?hash=item3abadfabd7:g:UsYAAOSw8-tWZ3u0

Edited by gtx6970

• 4 weeks later...

It would be great if Round 2 could get an original 1968/69/70 MPC Charger Annual and have it scanned to re-create tooling for new releases of the annuals.  

The current General Lee kits' body is starting to break down.  There are a couple of areas missing plastic, i.e. - around the passenger side fender wheel opening and the front top of the driver side fender.  In addition the details on the body aren't as sharp anymore not to mention the door scoops aren't correct.  The rear window was 'fixed' back when ERTL owned MPC for the Fast And The Furious release, however it's not correct.  The rear window is too small and basically a rectangle.  It should be larger and curved at the top.  If you put the MPC Dukes Charger next to a Revell 69 Charger the rear window really looks badly shaped.

The 68/69/70 body in the original annual kits was far superior and in some ways even nicer than the Revell 69/69 Chargers.

Edited by crowe-t

In my stash I also have a couple of the first gen Charger bodies (66-67) that feature an altered wheelbase. I picked them up in a trade many years ago without the box or any other parts. Have them on my to do list, yet I would like to see the box top illustration for them. I remember that upon looking closely they were based on the MPC molds and were definitely factory issues and not someone's alterations.

any info would be very welcome!

Cheers Misha

Misha

Here is the '66 Color Me Gone Charger.   You may have the body from this kit.  It could probably be completed with the frame and parts from a current Polar Lights kit.  I remember my cousin having that kit when it first came out, I thought it was great as the kit manufacturers were finally releasing funny car kits that were of cars that were running on the drag strip.  

Ed

1_1d24ea85cee903963304bc6f9cbfb539.jpg

Misha

Here is the '66 Color Me Gone Charger.   You may have the body from this kit.  It could probably be completed with the frame and parts from a current Polar Lights kit.  I remember my cousin having that kit when it first came out, I thought it was great as the kit manufacturers were finally releasing funny car kits that were of cars that were running on the drag strip.  

Ed

1_1d24ea85cee903963304bc6f9cbfb539.jpg

Yep, as far as I know the Color Me Gone kit was the only altered wheelbase charger produced.

To be honest I think the chassis from the AMT 67 Cougar funnycar is pretty close. ( I have them both and could ck if wanted )

Problem is I am almost positive the interior tins are very unique to that kit

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks Ed & Bill! That's the one alright, plus thanx for the info on fitting the PL chassis, another project comes to the forefront. Would imagine that fitting the interior panels wouldn't be all that difficult, start with file cards first. 

Thank again guys, this is what makes this forum so useful.

Cheers Misha

• 4 years later...
On 10/23/2014 at 5:58 PM, Edsel-Dan said:

If they re-issue that 67, I hope they still have the Stock Hubcaps No One offers anymore

I have the 70's Street Machine issue I started to restore.

I am kind of tired of only the 5 spoke Mag's in almost all MoPar kits lately.

(Though, AMT did replace those with Ralley's in the 70 Challenger kit Johnny-Lightning re-issue!!)

Edsel D,

Did you have any luck finding any new '66-'67 Charger hubcaps/Wheel covers?

That's what brought me here, wanting to maybe use them on a new build.

I did find the unchromed resin cast '68s at Fireball Modelworks, but I would like to try to get the older ones to see which I like the best.

On 2/15/2016 at 1:49 PM, gtx6970 said:

Yep, as far as I know the Color Me Gone kit was the only altered wheelbase charger produced.

To be honest I think the chassis from the AMT 67 Cougar funnycar is pretty close. ( I have them both and could ck if wanted )

Problem is I am almost positive the interior tins are very unique to that kit

The Cougar chassis WAS used under the Color Me Gone early Charger, but the one in the Charger was slightly longer.  The tooling for the chassis side pieces had a section spliced in to change the length.  The Unswitchable GTO funny car used that chassis also, but it isn't correct for that car.  The '68 and '69 GTO (but not the '70) used it also.  Body interior parts are specific to each kit.  I pieced together a Color Me Gone Charger from two incomplete built ones, was going to raid a Cougar for some small chassis parts but between the two Chargers I have all of the needed parts in good condition.  I sold off the leftover body a long time ago, so no spare parts left.

17 hours ago, Mark said:

The Cougar chassis WAS used under the Color Me Gone early Charger, but the one in the Charger was slightly longer.  The tooling for the chassis side pieces had a section spliced in to change the length.  The Unswitchable GTO funny car used that chassis also, but it isn't correct for that car.  The '68 and '69 GTO (but not the '70) used it also.  Body interior parts are specific to each kit.  I pieced together a Color Me Gone Charger from two incomplete built ones, was going to raid a Cougar for some small chassis parts but between the two Chargers I have all of the needed parts in good condition.  I sold off the leftover body a long time ago, so no spare parts left.

I need the engine cover from the 67 Color Me Gone Charger , otherwise my builtup is complete

While on the topic of MPC Chargers I got a parts box last year and it had the "slot car" interior filler piece to take the place of the interior it you went the slot car route in 66. I also found the head and the roll bar for the filler. Found the same stuff for a 66 Bonneville. Fun stuff from a unique moment in time.

Another great Charger kit is the current "City Slicker" '69 Charger that was formally the new tool Dukes of Hazzard snap kit from a few years ago.

I have the Dukes version and I think this is a great kit.  Much better than the old worn out MPC version and when assembled, it looks just like a promo.  I hope R2 does more versions of this great kit.