Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Models '59 Dodge & Chrysler Turbine Car.

W-409

I just saw this on TRaK and I thought I should post it in here too. As speculated in another thread, looks like Moebius Models is reissuing two old Jo-Han kits, '59 Dodge and '64 Turbine Car that will be the promo version without an engine. I'm really looking forward to these, I gotta get several of both of them.

2014iHobby_Moebius%5B19%5D%2Bcopy.JPG

More info here: http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2014/10/marvels-from-moebius-sneak-peek-at-2014.html

The Dodge has merit, dunno 'bout the Turbine.

If I were king I would scan the Dodge body and related parts, to use in the design of a compete new kit series of Chryslers "forward look"

Know of a couple great engineers who could help Dave with such a project.

;^)

Edited by Luc Janssens

My brain hurts thinking of what Mobius could do with that Dodge…… :blink:

I'm with you John! I have one of the old X-EL reissues (along with the '59 Plymouth), and a reissue with proper chassis and interior details would be a super-duper winner!

The Turbine Car I've already built, and I have a couple more "builders" to restore if I get the desire. But that '59 Dodge-------I want another one badly as that's the only car that would be readily available, and has the CORRECT '57-'59 Dodge/Plymouth 2 dr hardtop roofline.

For there's a certain '58 Plymouth that could stand some correcting.............. :P

Sooo, (directed to you 1/25 Mopar experts), if a builder wanted to bring more detail to this potential, Moebius/Johan reissue of the '59 Dodge, are there any existing 1/25 kits that could donate an accurate engine, chassis and any other needed parts to combine and build into a full-detail '59 Dodge?

Would the 1/25 '58 Plymouth Fury from AMT/Ertl be an accurate donor for engine and chassis pieces, or if not, is there something better out there?

... probably not going to be the easiest hood to cut-out on that '59 Dodge, either! :unsure:

I would DEFINITELY get several of the '59 Dodges if and when they come out. (I used to own a '59 Dodge Coronet). The firewall from the AMT '57 Chrysler would work as might the one from the '58 Plymouth. The inner fenders might work too.

The hood on the '59 Dodge is NOT an easy one to cut out, but if you take your time, it can be done neatly. Just angle your XActo blade handle towards the outside edges of the fenders, or, add a styrene strip to the underside of the fenders, at the hood opening to keep the cut out hood from falling through.

The only problem with the interior would be the depth of the floor as either the promo interior or Modelhaus' resin interior are very shallow.

This would be a GREAT kit to see reissued. The prices that the promo's go for on EBAY are just absurd.

58 belvedere or 57 Chrysler be the best bet if the details are not up to snuff.

'58 Belvedere, simply because Plymouth and Dodge were sharing the same basic body structure, chassis, and once Dodge's small Hemi went away, pretty much the same engines. The Chrysler is physically a larger car, with a heavier chassis.

Art

'58 Belvedere, simply because Plymouth and Dodge were sharing the same basic body structure, chassis, and once Dodge's small Hemi went away, pretty much the same engines. The Chrysler is physically a larger car, with a heavier chassis.

Art

Please explain the difference in chassis. and what are you basing this on ? Because you are 110% wrong ..

what I don't get is that I thought Johan molds were of some way different than every other molding system and therefore required a whole specialized (and completely outdated, the equivalent of the VHS) set of doodads to use. does this mean Moebius has that system? or maybe were able to make some sort of adaptation? or could it be that these particular molds were of a more modern design and therefore compatible with more modern systems?

glad to see em back, especially that turbine car. I think I'm going to put a hemi in it.

jb

Overheard at Sylvania last month at the Moebius booth that the holdup in bringing this model (and the mid 70s Olds hardtop) is a question of tool ownership.The legal ownership and right of usage of the current tool holder has to be proven before Moebius can proceed with production.

Overheard at Sylvania last month at the Moebius booth that the holdup in bringing this model (and the mid 70s Olds hardtop) is a question of tool ownership.The legal ownership and right of usage of the current tool holder has to be proven before Moebius can proceed with production.

Was the '59 Rambler wagon mentioned, too?

Not sure whether to read more into Steve Goldman's "These items were in the best condition so that's why there being run first." comment or not from this post: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49120&hl=