Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Nova Saturday Night Special

DrKerry

Dr K. You were not losing your mind.

The Orange Hauler was constructed from a '62 Chevy pickup cab on a '55 Chevy passenger car frame.

I had the good fortune to hang out at Star Kustoms a little during the summer when Darryl was building the Ultra Truck (Monogram renamed it the Orange Hauler). I was surprised to see he was using a truck cab to build a custom, but even more surprised to see the finished product!!!

And, by the way, Starbird was a truly great man. He graciously tolerated a young teenager hanging around, contributing little although making every effort to stay out of the way, and even provided some narrative of what he was doing as he went. Had I more sense back then, I would have parlayed that into a part-time job, then full-time job, then career. Or at least, tried.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Very nicely built. This is my style of old school short tracker. This is reminding me memories. Back in 1970-71 and '72 I took pictures of 3 different Novas / Chevy IIs running in the Late Model Sportsman cars at Riverside Speedway, on the northshore of Montreal. I really like your Nova!