Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 F100 to F500 conversion

Here's the '54 F-600, and as you could see space is pretty tight...

And here's a visual for the idea I had.

Like I said- cut away the existing lip marked in pencil and add a new one to the enlarged opening and it should look pretty close... but I think I'm gonna try it out and then go back and compare it to the 1:1 and see how it looks before I reccomend my method! B)

Chuck, please do follow up on this. I have several 50, 53 and 56 Ford truck kits that could benefit from this. Lots of ideas brewing. :)

Edited by Aaronw

Another thing I'm wondering... could it be possible that the heaver-duty trucks also had a slightly taller fender than an F-100? I ask this because it seems that the heavier trucks sat just a little bit higher off the frame. I don't have a half-ton '53-56 Effie to compare against the F-600s. I'm not sure- I seem to remember reading that some shady swap-meet vendors would try to pass off the heavier-duty truck fenders as F-100 units, and they would physically fit the F-100s.

Chuck, please do follow up on this. I have several 50, 53 and 56 Ford truck kits that could benefit from this. Lots of ideas brewing. :)

Count on that. A '53 F-600 model project has been brewing in the back of my mind for quite some time. I'm working getting a 1:1 '45 Ford 1-1/2 ton truck, if I get really ambitious I might even try doing that in 1:25.

If I remember right, the only height difference in the fenders is from the rear bottom part, lengthened a bit to match up with the running boards which are mounted a little lower in comparison to the cab (the apron between the cab and running board being taller).

Chuck, does that truck wear the 19.5 inch wheels?

I see what you mean, the front of the fender is the same but the back is longer to meet the lower running boards. Here is a stock F100, there is about two or three inches between the bottom of the door and the running board.

0710ct_02_z+1956_ford_f100+.jpg

But on the F500/F600 the running boards are almost six or seven inches from the bottom of the door.

Ford%2BF500.jpg

Brian,

I knew I had a link saved from some time ago just took me a little while to find it !! Good example of the kit being made into an F800 Big Job, fenders lengthened for running

boards and wheel openings hogged out:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/685199-the-first-1-24-scale-big-job-model-is-almost-done.html

Rick

Yepper, there ya go.

Another point worth mentioning about the running boards is their termination; they end a tad after the door rather than at the back of the cab. A lot of folks seem to just lop them off at the back of the cab and neglect to round off the outer corner, etc. The little extra attention it takes to get this part right makes a big difference in capturing the look...kind of a make it/break it point.

• 7 years later...