Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snake Eyes 41 Willys, First Build of 2009

Dr. Cranky

Hi, C Millar--thanks for the kind comments. I wrote a how-to in the October issue of CMM (October) which describes the technique. It's really not that difficult.

You can use water to make the salt stick . . .

I've done it with both rattle cans and the airbrush, and by far I like the results I get with the airbrush much better . . .

As you can see I tend to overdo the technique on these two builds because I was really thinking rat rod junkers . . . or at least that's my excuse . . .

Really, it's a stress-free technique. The idea is to have fun with it and wow yourself.

Okay, here comes some progress on the coupe . . . the chassis and the interior are done for the most part, and now I am mocking up the engine to make sure it looks just right and it gets me the hood swing clearance I need . . ..

IMG_4-vi.jpg

IMG_3-vi.jpg

Once the interior goes into the body, most of the details will not be seen, but I will know they are there! B)

IMG_9-vi.jpg

I still smile every time I build one of these Willyses and see that the wheels actually turn . . . nice touch courtesy of Revell!

IMG_5-vi.jpg