Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '69 Charger Daytona or "polishing a t*rd"

Tonioseven

Hey. I picked this one up from Hobby Lobby.com for just under $14 including shipping so I figured "why not?". Chuck warned me but it was too late by then :unsure: . Although NOT the doorstop that is the '67 GTO, this one has its share of issues. Nevertheless, I will build it and try my best on it. Here's what I have so far...

PART_1323957035898-vi.jpg

I'll use these wheels from the '39 Wagon Rod...

DSCN5049-vi.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I'll post a few more tomorrow. Thanks for lookin'. :)

badsign4-vi.jpg

badsign5-vi.jpg

badsign6-vi.jpg

Edited by Tonioseven

Man if i could only find my camera cord!!!!! I could hi jack your thread and we could group tackle this thing, got the hemi built, went with the 'custom' option with double pumper carbs and waitin as we speak for blackwash to dry on the velocity stacks. Keep on keepin on! Eventually the boogeyman will gimme mah camera cord back!

Although NOT the doorstop that is the '67 GTO,

You know I have this kit in my stash, and I haven't really looked at it. But this kit got thoroughly bashed in the "worst kit" thread and Antonio mentions it again here.

I'm starting to see this kit like the biggest bull at the rodeo. A challenge not to be backed away from.

Tonio, I like where you're going with this, keep it going.

Looking good T! One of the things I like about attacking these type of projects is making miracles out of the worst possible models, it's one of the things that makes one modeler better than the other (not meant to criticize or demean anyone) :rolleyes:

So ive got the motor built, building a distributor as we speak and hinged the hood, did you address the back of the hood? The corners dont come to a point and im trying to brainstorm how to go about that issue, as filler would probably snap the first time i touch it. No cord btw and its driving me insane! I have a feeling my post before this inspired you to take a stab at this thing. KEEP IT COMING!

Told ya... :lol:

In your hands it should be a marked improvement over most of the models built from this kit, at the very least! Fit of the nose pieces and wing are already worlds above what's possible by just gluing them on with this kit. If you really want to practice bodywork and parts fit, this might not be a bad kit to work on in that respect.

As far as the bad kit sweepstakes? '67 GTO? Come on... the AMT '65 GTO is waaaaaay worse!

...did you address the back of the hood? The corners dont come to a point and im trying to brainstorm how to go about that issue, as filler would probably snap the first time i touch it.

I had the same problem with a RevMono 1968 Firebird and solved it my own way. I have a jar of dissolved parts tree sprues (dissolved in ethyl acetate) that I use as putty sometimes. I like it because it blends in with the styrene of the actual piece I'm working on. It also stays as flexible as the surrounding material.

To make a "mold" you could cover the corners of the engine compartment with BMF. The styrene goo doesn't stick to the outer surface very much. Then you just put the hood in place and push some styrene goo into the voids. Let it harden, carefully loosen the hood and trim and sand It and you probably won't be able to see that there was anything wrong with it from the start. If the edges are very thin you could always sand them a bit to get a little more surface to stick to. You could also "prime" the surface prior to pushing the goo in. Just put some ethyl acetate on with a brush and let it melt the surface a bit first.

It worked for me, anyway. :)

Edited by Borgis