Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting back into the hobby with Project Beater Bel Air

Jon Geddes

It's been a while since I've sat down and really tried getting creative with a model car. I figured it's been too long so I got my hands on a Revell '57 Bel Air kit and went to the work bench. I gathered up my other parts models and then tossed the Bel Air's instructions in the trash. My goal is to just build something I think looks cool. I'm also experimenting with different paint techniques. I've never done the weathered, patina look, but I have several ideas as to how I want to try it. First off was a series of painting, sanding, painting, sanding, and so on. I got it to look like this:

2i23o1w.jpg

It's sitting on a '69 Nova SS floorpan and wheels for sake of mockup there. I liked the results, and figured it needed to be a hot rod. At first, it was going to be a fairly traditional drag car. I mocked up stance and wheels to get an idea of what it would look like and came up with this:

2myn4m1.jpg

I started cutting up the chassis from a Revell '65 Chevy pickup to tub it and run the big MT Sportsman rear tires. But then I stopped for lunch and a cigarette and came back inspired to try something else. So then I mocked up stance to see how it'd look as a gasser. Something like this:

2wdyqn8.jpg

I REALLY like the look of this with the beat up paint, so it looks like this will probably be the style I go with. I'll probably use a dremel to radius cut the rear wheel openings a bit so I can bring the rear end down and have the tires still poke out the sides a bit. I'm also going to do a few experiments with rust powder to see what I can create. I'll keep taking pics and keep you guys updated with how things go!

I chose the color scheme of the interior and layed down the main color base coat (or at least most of it) tonight before the sun went down. My "paint booth" is my gravel driveway and my gun is a rattle can right now lol. I'm going with flat olive drab for the main color with brown accents and silver trim. I'm trying to create the effect of it being just an ugly old car color scheme. It should look pretty good. I'm fortunate to work in close proximity to a Hobbytown USA, so I'll get the rest of the paint I need tomorrow after work and start getting down to the detailed stuff.

Bought some Tamiya model paint from Hobbytown USA today. Got gloss red, chrome silver, and flat red brown. The brown is the same color as my actual '73 Ford Maverick's vinyl seats, so it should give a neat effect. No time to paint tonight, looks like I'll shoot to start it tomorrow after work.

The build has started! I have the day off tomorrow, so I hope to get the motor glued together, painted, and ready to drop onto the chassis. I'd also like to get the last base coat of OD green on the interior so I can start painting in the brown "vinyl" accents. There will be plenty of pics tomorrow! I already glued the 2 engine halves together and put the oil pan on and I want to do more tonight, but we're having company over and I'm supposed to be taking a shower and cleaning the house, not fiddling with models lol

Started painting the flat brown accents in the interior and quickly found I do not have a very steady hand. The results look terrible, but I'll find a way to fix that later. The motor doesn't look too bad, though. Sorry for the poor quality, all I have available right now is my cell phone's camera.

2v80fp4.jpg

The block, oil pan, and intake manifold are from the Bel Air model. The carb, air cleaner, and valve covers are from the '65 pickup model

Edited by Jon Geddes

Started painting the flat brown accents in the interior and quickly found I do not have a very steady hand. The results look terrible,

Very few of us do! We tape off our lines. You can try the painters blue tape but we like the Tamiya tape for the actual edge. Your hobby shop should have it. It is expensive but we only use it for that critical edge, then tape off the rest of the body as needed with the painters blue or normal masking tape.

Very few of us do! We tape off our lines. You can try the painters blue tape but we like the Tamiya tape for the actual edge. Your hobby shop should have it. It is expensive but we only use it for that critical edge, then tape off the rest of the body as needed with the painters blue or normal masking tape.

Good call! I'll check it out. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Updates! I was getting burnt out on the Beater Bel-Air since my skills aren't up to par with what I want to build. I figured I would buy another model and slowly build it up box stock. Right after I got that model, my girlfriend got me a dremel tool! So back to the Beater Bel Air tonight. I didn't do much, just radius trimmed the rear fenders and fenderwells to clear the big Mickey Thompson Sportsmans in the back like I wanted. I also got inspiration from Mike Finnegan's '55 Gasser and figured I should probably slap a Hemi in there under the hood. So once again, more mock up pics.

2wqgajm.jpg

23s4rm.jpg

2itg6cz.jpg

Also got almost all my projects together (minus the '69 Nova SS that I'm turning into a radio controlled car). From right to left (closest to furthest): My '65 Chevy pickup technique practice body, the gasser '57, my '69 GT500 (just started), and a very special Dodge Super Bee. My dad and I used to build models together all the time. The 14th marked 10 years since he passed and the Super Bee was the one we were in the middle of when it happened. It's currently just sitting in a box missing nearly all its parts. However, I do have an epic motor transplant planned for it whenever it is that I feel up to working on it. It's the Viper V10 from the Dodge Ram SS10 (or whatever they called the pre SRT10 Ram).

2hhdhzo.jpg

izlqph.jpg

Edited by Jon Geddes

• 1 month later...

I've been so busy helping everyone out with different projects around town on top of my full time work grind that my projects have been put on the back burner. However, I did pull the Beater Bel Air out of the box for a pic I couldn't resist. My girlfriend knows I like 1/24 scale vehicles, especially police cars and SUVs so she bought me this die-cast Tahoe done up in Chevy's PPV unveiling livery. I think this pic was worth mocking up the Bel Air for again.

Haven't all of us gearheads been in this position at least once? Motor swap is finished and you can't help but sneak it out of the garage and around the block and guess who shows up?

Its nice to get back on the bench I was away for about 20 years and now I have to many cars that I want to build plus the builds on this forum are just what I need for inspiration when I get stuck on a build plus the guys on this board are the best.

Keep On Building !!

Edited by Metalmad

Its nice to get back on the bench I was away for about 20 years and now I have to many cars that I want to build plus the builds on this forum are just what I need for inspiration when I get stuck on a build plus the guys on this board are the best.

Keep On Building !!

Agreed 100%. The stuff that this board's members build is amazing. I love the fact that knowledge is abundant and everyone feels welcome, even unskilled builders such as myself lol

Forgot to mention regarding the pic above, I'm going to make an order soon to PoliceCarModels.com and get half a dozen or so 3mm red/blue flashing LEDs for the Tahoe B)

Edited by Jon Geddes

Agreed 100%. The stuff that this board's members build is amazing. I love the fact that knowledge is abundant and everyone feels welcome, even unskilled builders such as myself lol

Forgot to mention regarding the pic above, I'm going to make an order soon to PoliceCarModels.com and get half a dozen or so 3mm red/blue flashing LEDs for the Tahoe B)

Your 57 Belair is looking good. Keep working at the bench...

Seeing as today is my birthday, I'm going to give the gift of time to myself... time to work on my models! It's early yet, but I've made a few notable changes in the plan.

First off, I've ditched the idea of running the big Hemi for now in favor of the 283 that came with the kit. Also, new plan for the interior. I figured if this thing is going to look like a ratty, cobbled together rat rod gasser, the factory bench seats weren't the best option, so I opted for some Peterbilt 357 seats (yes, Semi truck seats lol). They're not completely modeled in on the back since they were designed to go flat against the back of the Pete cab, but I like the look of them and was too lazy to correct it lol. Also, the Nova SS model donated its 4 on the floor shifter.

P82A0230.jpg

The front wheels have also been rethought. I think I'll go with the steelies and white wall tires from my '65 Chevy pickup. I'm painting them flat red and running the chrome dog dish center caps for the classic rat rod look.

P82A0231.jpg

And last but not least, I'm high-jacking my own thread with the Tahoe PPV again lol. As I was scrounging around the Nova parts box, I came across what was left of the decal sheet for it. Some "Chevy Tough" license plates seemed appropriate for the police cruiser.

eaae6bf7-5304-4e47-9cf0-7f44de75fe73.jpg

pic is a little blurry, but you guys get the idea lol

Edited by Jon Geddes

First glimpse of the Beater Bel Air with the new wheels. I like it, it goes with the look I'm going for. I'm at a standstill until I can get out to Hobbytown and buy a bottle of matte black paint to paint some of the finer details on the suspension, but for now, this is what I've got still in mock up

P82_A0235.jpg

My dinner table looks like a chop shop! And once the Beater Bel Air is completed, here's a teaser shot of what might be to come if I can find a way to make a radical rod like this look good

P82_A0236.jpg