Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix 1914 Stutz Bearcat

GeeBee

Spent the day in the hobby room and got the body, bonnet and wheels in body colour, also got the parts that need to be done in Alclad painted gloss black, for this I used Revell enamel thinned with lacquer thinners, just the engine and a few parts that need to be done in Aluminum to be painted, chassis was also painted using gloss black enamel.

2012-10-11165632.jpg

2012-10-11165022.jpg

2012-10-11175703.jpg

2012-10-11175651.jpg

Got the polished brass Alclad done this morning, although I would have prefered a lighter finish, I'm happy with the finish of the Alclad, sadly the photo's don't do the finish justice ... the steering wheel rim will be painted to look like wood using desert tan, dry brushed with copper and then clear orange

2012-10-12132558.jpg

2012-10-12132648.jpg

2012-10-12132848.jpg

2012-10-12132659.jpg

2012-10-12132810.jpg

2012-10-12132817.jpg

2012-10-12132834.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

The brass looks good, Geoff. I like the way it settled into the steering wheel- it looks like with a little fancy footwork, that paint could almost replicate bronze acceptably.

Charlie Larkin

It looks better in real life, but I still wish it was a touch light, next time I use it I might mix a little chrome with it, but for this build I will leave it alone.

Had a lunch break then got back in the hobby room, as I wanted to paint the engine and seats and the luggage trunk, for the engine I used Triumph Brooklands green, and the seats were done with Tamiya flat red with a few drops of brown to tone down the red, they will get a coat of satin varnish where there dry

2012-10-12170447.jpg

2012-10-12171740.jpg

2012-10-12171810.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Okay, so I have been looking along with your build and enjoying it. Today, at our model club meeting, a member brought a friend. That's not all that exciting. Until I find out the friend OWNS the George Barris car from the TV show! Yes, the real deal from the show. I showed him his thread and he thought it looked great - especially the brass. He said I could use the car for reference if anybody ever wanted to build the TV car (which is a replica Stutz with a more modern power plant, etc).

He said I could use the car for reference if anybody ever wanted to build the TV car (which is a replica Stutz with a more modern power plant, etc).

If you could find out, I would like to find out what colour the trim colour is on the front and rear wings and bonnet, I really can't make it out on the photo's I have

thats looking so cool , love the brass effect and it being a bit darker then usual doent bother me , like you said you wanted it a bit brighter , now it looks like it never got a polish :)

i find this topic particulairly interesting because i saw 2 kits like this for sale for almost no money (maybe they are impopulair here?)

now i see the content of the kit i can see i could build a cool little hotrod out of one of these

Got a few of the smaller parts detailed today, the dash was first sprayed using Tamiya desert sand, then dry brushed with Tamiya bronze, then coated with Tamiya clear orange, the steering wheel was done the same way ...

2012-10-15162219.jpg

2012-10-15162336.jpg

2012-10-15162258.jpg

The seats got a coat of artists satin varnish

2012-10-15162313.jpg

2012-10-15162306.jpg

2012-10-15162235.jpg

I love following your builds Geoff, but I'm still wondering about the excess height of those front fenders.

If you mock up the suspension/chassis/body, you may see what I mean. Better to catch it now than after it's painted.

I know you strive for accuracy in your builds... that's the only reason I mention it.

Tony

I can see what you mean, I'm not sure if it's the box art, but it does look a bit out compared to the original, I will see if I can shave off some plastic on the underside of the body before the chassis gets fixed, the Stutz I'm building has slightly higher suspension than the two photo's posted earlier in this post.

1914_Stutz_Bearcat-july12b.jpg

That looks very nice, Geoff.

The Collings Foundation, which is a small private museum near me, has a very nice Stutz in a soft pastel gray with red seats. If I ever get around to building mine, I think I'm doing that color scheme.

I enjoy seeing you put it all together.

Charlie Larkin

After thinking all night why my paint finish didn't come up to scratch, I thought I might have left the wrong needle set up in the airbrush, but checking this morning, it wasn't, anyway it was all flatted down last night and washed in warm soapy water and left to dry, go on with it this morning, and after a little bit of playing around thinning the paint a little, I got a much better finish, it will need to dry out for a few days before I crack on with the polishing ....

2012-10-19143611.jpg

2012-10-19143622.jpg