Model Cars Magazine Forum

Possible new NASCAR kit(s) coming

martinfan5

Right now, lets keep this as just a rumor, but its being talked about over at the NASCAR forum that Round 2 is in the stages of doing a current NASCAR kit, the following info has been posted.

That most of the engineering is done.

Contracts have been put out .

No release date, but speculating late spring/early fall

Sounds like it be more detailed than the last NASCAR kits, with new engine, seat, dash, Body, tweaked chassis.

Sounds like Ford is going to be the only one at the moment

The Famous #43

Dave Van is credited with this info

R2 currently has a blanket license with/for Richard Petty.

With I-Hobby fast approaching, maybe we might hear something more official, fingers crossed.

Edited by martinfan5

There is a demand for new NASCAR kits, how much, I dont know, but enough that Revell considered it, and for the time being, isnt going to , sighting cost reason's, and with the direction Revell seems to be going in, I am not surprised , but lets look at this, Mike @ Mikes Decals is producing a Chevy SS resin body, he started selling them I think at the end of last year, and for the first few months , he could not keep them instock, this a $37 body that people were eating up. The sales were so good that he did a Nationwide Camaro body.

A Ford would be nice, if it's successful, maybe they will do a Chevy SS..would like to see one, as the 1/24th diecast ones can be a bit pricey...

Agreed Rob, I am not a Ford person outside of a few vehicles, and would buy a few cases of a Chevy SS kit, but , I will buy a few Ford kits just for nothing else to support the efforts and hope that might bring us a SS.

Agreed Rob, I am not a Ford person outside of a few vehicles, and would buy a few cases of a Chevy SS kit, but , I will buy a few Ford kits just for nothing else to support the efforts and hope that might bring us a SS.

As far as a Fusion, I would like to do Carl Edwards or Marcos Ambrose's car.. But most of my favorite NASCAR drivers of today drive Chevys..

Well this is interesting news. I'd be down for a couple. I'm not going to model the entire 2014 roster, but I'd knock out a couple of my favorites for sure. I'd think current kits would be a nice shot in the arm for NASCAR, Round2, the various aftermarket decal makers, and of course the fans. Assuming NASCAR and the various sponsors get real about licensing it should be a slam dunk.

Wow... whod'a thunk? Now that we're living in NASCAR country, and interest is waning, the possibility of new kits exists. I would like to see them produced- and, please, be more than marginally accurate- and would buy at least two Fords to do the Penske team. The worst part would be the graphics.

Thanks for thinking I am in the know......but NO ONE at R2 has talked to me about a current car. We gave some help on the vintage Mercury and Chevy S-3 because I did some work on those tools when Dave Burket Model King re-issued them under RC2.....R2 just asked for some info and advise.

But current kits???? They ain't asking. I DID say that it looks like (and I heard it was true) that R2 has a blanket license with Petty Ent.....that's why we have a 69 Petty Torino, Petty Dodge, Petty die cast. So a Petty Fusion could make sense...... but I still have my doubts.....hope we get a good kit of a Ford....but no insider info on this one.

I'm not holding my breath. NASCAR's popularity seems to be waning as evidenced by the empty seats at nearly every venue, including the night race at Bristol! I'd love to see a new Indy car tool as well but it seems the same holds true there.

Agreed, they can't use the ol' "its the economy" excuse anymore. I am amazed how empty the Bristol night race was, a race that use to be sold-out years in advance, and if you wanted a ticket to the race, one was paying double face value of the ticket.

I was under the impression that the new Nascar bodies were all the same, just different decals on them :lol:

Thankfully only the greenhouse, trunk and rear panel are the same today. Everything from the A pillars forward is unique to each make and each make has it's own sides. The Gen 5 car was the same but for the hood and front fascia. We used to joke that someone could change car brands during a pit stop by changing decals!

Thankfully only the greenhouse, trunk and rear panel are the same today. Everything from the A pillars forward is unique to each make and each make has it's own sides. The Gen 5 car was the same but for the hood and front fascia. We used to joke that someone could change car brands during a pit stop by changing decals!

Are you meaning rear quarter panels or Tv panel?

Edited by martinfan5

Agreed, they can't use the ol' "its the economy" excuse anymore. I am amazed how empty the Bristol night race was, a race that use to be sold-out years in advance, and if you wanted a ticket to the race, one was paying double face value of the ticket.

It's not the economy. It's that they have put a boring product on the cookie cutter tracks.

I think a new kit would be a disaster sales wise. You can't give away nascar kits.

• 4 weeks later...

Not saying it has any effect on if there are any new NASCAR kits or not, but don't use this years night Bristol race as a yardstick for attendance records, it had rained most of the day and rain had been forecast for the night all week. And the race ended up being a Sunday day race after all, with the cost of tickets and travel, motel, and food a lot of people who had tickets didn't make the trip and on XM SIRRIUS on Monday almost every caller regretted their decision as most felt that they missed a great race. Now let's talk about the road races, I'm not a real fan of the them, but both races were virtually sold out, and the most exciting races of the year (up to that point) were seen, if it's any sign the races in the chase are doing great, and I have would bet that the rest won't be dogs either , I'd go as far as saying if you don't have tickets for Homestead yet that you're going to need a bit more than face value as far as what they will cost you.

Edited by horsepower