Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts kits - what's your favorite?

Remember the old IMC VW Beetle? It was later issued by Union, a Japanese company, and the tool hasn't resurfaced. I have several of that Union release and noticed that you can build the stock Beetle and still have the entire drag chassis to use elsewhere! I'm hoping to do that someday... great project idea number 698 on the list!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember the last kit I bought to just build as is. Ran into a couple of good deals on the kenz/leslie cougar f/c so now I've got relatively accurate logghe chassis for a dyno don comet I've been wanting to build. As the t-bolts are plentiful and cheap lately especially in the street burner series they're gonna be foundations for the 64 and 65 Comet drag cars I''m working on. Now with Moebius's pending 69/71 Ford trucks, I've finally got potential use for all the stuff I've been stockpiling in the way of drivetrain/body/4WD chassis from other truck kits...

mike

Revell "Miss Deal" is great because it contains pieces from the old Revell parts packs - engine, wheels & tires, & front suspension.

AMT Double Dragster - tons o' parts for vintage draggers

Pre-1991 Monogram/Revell NASCAR Thunderbird - with some minor tweaks the chassis & running gear can be used to vastly improve 70's AMT & MPC NASCAR kits (e.g. '75 Matador).

i would have to say the tamiya lotus super seven. probably bought 5 or 6 of those kits and used the motors, wheels, suspension, interior bits pretty much all of them in various builds. very nicely detailed components like foot pedals with master cylinders in place, kool rear link suspension, good stuff.

and then the fujimi enthusiast kits of the 356 Porsches in various forms. mostly picked up a half dozen of the testors rebox of them with broken bodies, and they are a wellspring of highly detailed upgrades for VWs as well as nice to swap into even later porsches for the added details.

when i was a kid i remember the double dragster kit being a real favorite and i would use that fiat body along with the coupe from the Sizzler a lot including the hemi from the sizzler because it looked so massive. and i used those clear cycle front wheels a bunch too cause i thought they looked pretty kool.

• 5 years later...
On 11/22/2011 at 7:23 PM, Junkman said:

Mine must be the Revellogram '59 Caddy.

My go to kit for a Cadillac V8 engine, and they're cheap, too. Always good when you're planning to part a kit out. :)

On 11/21/2011 at 9:22 AM, Guest said:

My favorite would have to be the AMT '57 Corvette Street Machine. It has nice Pro Star wheels,nine inch Ford rearend, big block Chevy with an automatic

Hmmm, is this the same basic engine as in the AMT '70 Monte Carlo kit? I don't think I've ever seen close-up pics of the BBC from this kit, but if anybody has some they'd care to share, I would appreciate seeing them.

On 11/22/2011 at 1:21 PM, Bernard Kron said:

Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit: Nailhead, chassis rails, front suspension parts, quickchange rear ends, body parts, interior bits, wheels and tires.

I second this. I mean, it's two kits for the price of one. Easy decision. 

On 1/4/2013 at 4:48 AM, Yahshu said:

The AMT 71 Duster chassis & dog house are great for the AMT/MPC 67 - 69 Barracuda, same goes for the AMT 71 Charger for the MPC 73 - 74 Road Runner.

That is what I was going to write. Also, the AMT 70 camaro will work with most other 70's Camaros and Firebirds, and the 69 Olds 442 will work under the 68 through 72 MPC and AMT GM "A" bodies.

On 1/6/2013 at 9:59 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Remember the old IMC VW Beetle? It was later issued by Union, a Japanese company, and the tool hasn't resurfaced. I have several of that Union release and noticed that you can build the stock Beetle and still have the entire drag chassis to use elsewhere! I'm hoping to do that someday... great project idea number 698 on the list!

Avenger kit too. :rolleyes: 

imc-avenger-gt-12-25-scale-model-vw_1_4f989dec6f5b31c75f05a84d8b8c655c.jpg

gt12f-vi.jpg

Since I stated this thread seven years ago, my work has shifted to the hot rod more than anything.

My go-to's are any of the Revell 32's, the '29 and '30 Model A's. The Phantom Vicky.

Also a couple of the recent Revell  '57 Fords have donated their outstanding Y-Blocks to my cause.

• 6 months later...

I gotta agree Casey. I started one and as a whole, the car just doesn't do much for me. So I'm really leaning towards parting it out.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

AMT '62 Pontiac Catalina, any one of its multiple releases. Best Pontiac V8 engine and rearend, nice steel wheels, four nicely engraved headlight lenses and more: