Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Rambler American

41CHEVY

This is a 1961 Johan annual kit, I built as my Grandmas car,bought new. This is what I remember as a boy. The car was loaded for a '61 American ....3 speed w/ overdrive ,chrome package ,white walls and full wheel covers, Weather eye heater ,clock, radio, back up lights, twin traction rear, passenger sun visor, arm rests front and rear and full reclineing front seat.Why they never opted for an outside rear view mirror ,I could never figure! Paul 61AMERICAN3.jpg61AMERICAN2.jpg61AMERICAN.jpg

Because the inside mirror was enough back then. Life was much simpler mid century when all we had to worry about was the Russians.... :lol:

By the way, nice build!

Russians? .....I was 8, all I worried about was not getting caught slobbering all over my arm!! :lol::lol: Paul

What a wecome change of pace, not to mention a fine build! That color looks to be real close to "Echo Green Metallic," P23. Is it aerosol, air brush, "MCW", "Testors", etc? You've done this 50 plus year old Jo-Han kit justice. Didn't Rambler still use the old L-Head six in these? I know in some years of the early 60's you could select either the L-Head OR the new overhead valve six....just not sure of the year the OHV engine was introduced. I'm sure your grandmother is proud! B) Fury3

What a wecome change of pace, not to mention a fine build! That color looks to be real close to "Echo Green Metallic," P23. Is it aerosol, air brush, "MCW", "Testors", etc? You've done this 50 plus year old Jo-Han kit justice. Didn't Rambler still use the old L-Head six in these? I know in some years of the early 60's you could select either the L-Head OR the new overhead valve six....just not sure of the year the OHV engine was introduced. I'm sure your grandmother is proud! :) Fury3

The paint is airbrushed lacquer, factory mix from Dupont ...almost 45 years old!!! The car had the Flathead Hurricane 6.I believe the ohv was available on the senior cars. Grandma died in '65 but I'm sure she'd approve. Thanks Paul

Very nice build. Very clean. B)

I'd like to find that car today.

If the motor is shot, I'd drop in a 500 inch caddy. Otherwise just a set of wide steelies as some thick swaybars.

The motor probably still runs. :lol:

Still runs ;) My uncle has it in San Antinio Tx. Me 500 Cad and 6 speed wide steelis with stock hub caps and NO rake. Paul

Outside rear view mirrors weren't all that popular back the day. Most people simply ignored the concept--and perhaps that was OK, after all, that was the era of very large glass area all around, no wide sail panels, nor high rear deck, and of course, less than half the traffic on streets and highways than what we have today.

Biscuitbuilder

that was the era of very large glass area all around, no wide sail panels, nor high rear deck, and of course, less than half the traffic on streets and highways than what we have today.

That's what I sorely miss in today's styling of cars...........Front and rear ends that you can actually see without scooting up in your seat to tell where you are in parking. The high beltline styling I also wish would go away too. It makes a lot of cars just look "fat". The interior padding in cars today (my Saturn included) are so thick and the front pillars are so wide that it borders on dangerous!

And yet we can't get a car built in this country anymore with "pillarless" roof styling! :blink:

Outside rear view mirrors weren't all that popular back the day. Most people simply ignored the concept--and perhaps that was OK, after all, that was the era of very large glass area all around, no wide sail panels, nor high rear deck, and of course, less than half the traffic on streets and highways than what we have today.

Biscuitbuilder

Also people would turn and actually look over their shoulder when backing up or changing lanes (we had 'parkways' on L.I. than). As I remember..... my grandpa had a "peep" mirror the clipped on the door frame ,that went from car to car. The auto manufacturers theory here is...."we have a product people like and want,let's A} change the design so radically people won't want it. (Ford Focus) B} stop making it.( Ford Focus wagon and 5 door) or C} price it out of reach. Paul