Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring 70 1/2 Camaro *First post here*

ll Brandon ll

Thanks bro! It took two tries and alot of trial and error, but Im actually happy with it this time. Forever the perfectionist and super self critical, LOL!.

lol i hear you on that!

how did you go about doing the control arms?

Are those RB Motion coilovers? (sorry if I missed that)

lol i hear you on that!

how did you go about doing the control arms?

Are those RB Motion coilovers? (sorry if I missed that)

The control arms are just some 2mm rod bent in a U and stiffened. Then I took some appropriate size tube and glued it in for the rod ends. The coilovers are homemade. I have used the RB motion ones, and they are awesome, so that is a compliment indeed!

Thanks for the kind welcome and kind words, guys. I appreciate it. That said, an update. Doesnt seem like much of an update, but this was ALOT of work. I hope to have a rolling chassis by tonight. This is my first time building a frame from scratch, so comments and criticism is welcome.

stp61223.jpg

stp61224.jpg

stp61226.jpg

stp61227.jpg

stp61228.jpg

Hello, I'm new to the "scratch building" stuff, I'm attempting a pro touring challenger.. could you (if possible) send me a blue print of your frame im trying to get ideas, I really love this project you're doing. thank you for at least reading - Trav.

I can give you the styrene rod size and a basic guide, but there is no blueprint per say because your frame size, suspension layout, and different measurements will differ depending on the car you are building. Now, that said, I actually have a Challenger that I plan to build pro touring and I plan to give it a similiar treatment when this one is finished.

It's an older model had it for years more or less just a parts-box build! it think its a 70 challanger i've made the frame but it being my first one its not exactly perfect but it'll work for my first one only thing i can do is learn from that right?

Edited by BassMan90

Pretty much dude, thats how I learned. This was my first time building a frame and scratchbuilding anything this intensely. You just gotta dive in a do it. If you need ideas or inspiration, google Art Morrison frames. Thats what mine is based off of. And make sure you have a Mitre Box. It is absolutely invaluable to building a frame... or anything really. If you need any other help, feel free to ask. I will be happy to help in whatever way I can and I can definitely say the people here are super helpful and there is ALOT of talent on this board, so dont be afraid to ask.

I wish i had a mitre box I have a "hobby pad" that has some angles on it, so I'm basically "free hand" cutting and cutting them a touch longer then needed to compensate for changes while in mock up.. Thanks yes I've had this site in my favorites for a month now and now that it's gettin cold I just turn on the heater in the garage and spend time out there! Tons of talent here that's for sure, partly why I decided to scrap half of the project I'm doing and build a frame myself

My first frame on this build I did free hand and it ended up not lining up correctly and me having to fight it. I highly recommend one if you can get your hands on one, its well worth it especially for what you are trying to do. That said, its still possible without one, its just a hell of alot easier with it.

Oh yeah it's hard i've had to measure twice or three times that's for sure i'll probably get one if i decide to do one like this again, hey could you take pics of .. under the car with your new tub on it i'm stuck at how to make the back half of mine and need some ideas ( i have to scratch build the rear wheel tubs and everything behind the front seats)