Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Riddler Award goes to?

Chas SCR

Thanks for the link Kevin. I've always been a fan of Charlie Hutton ever since American Hot Rod. Boyd had a way of finding talent and some people on the show seemed to be there only for drama. I remember a guy they called Blue Bear and of course DeWayne who I think may have been responsible for Charlie leaving. ( and a lot of others) I seem to remember another guy named Chip Foose who worked for Boyd Wonder why he left?

Edited by rmvw guy

Very pretty, but really, it's just another 40 Ford. The Rumbler, from a few yeas ago was more like it. TOTALLY unique, it was a 60 or so Rambler American WAGON mixed with a Ferrari engine an running gear. To me THAT is where these prises belong. ADVANCED creative ideas, that help move the hobby ahead. I've seen enough 40 Fords to last a lifetime. Make them UNIQUE, THAT'S what the Ridler ALWAYS stood for. But it DOES gotta NICE paint job.

George, that is just what I was thinking at the show this year after seeing all them from the past that won it. They was off the hook and out in left feild from any normal little custom or retro mod car ever made. If it was a true custom like the years before it should have gone to that 34 ford that look so wild. Don't get me wrong I like the new style pro touring and clean work that is done on a lot of the new stuff but really it's not what this show was base on.

Guest G Holding

Very pretty, but really, it's just another 40 Ford. The Rumbler, from a few yeas ago was more like it. TOTALLY unique, it was a 60 or so Rambler American WAGON mixed with a Ferrari engine an running gear. To me THAT is where these prises belong. ADVANCED creative ideas, that help move the hobby ahead. I've seen enough 40 Fords to last a lifetime. Make them UNIQUE, THAT'S what the Ridler ALWAYS stood for. But it DOES gotta NICE paint job.

George, that is just what I was thinking at the show this year after seeing all them from the past that won it. They was off the hook and out in left feild from any normal little custom or retro mod car ever made. If it was a true custom like the years before it should have gone to that 34 ford that look so wild. Don't get me wrong I like the new style pro touring and clean work that is done on a lot of the new stuff but really it's not what this show was base on.

I sorta agree....but this car is Ridler Unique...Outside of the fact the frame and body are completley re done I suppose the motor is boring..just a flattie...OOPS>>>read this

The engine was a big hit with the crowds, under the 4.71 blower and fuelicon1.png injection is a ’53 Mercury flathead full of Ross pistons, Eagle rods, and an Isky bumpstick. The heads are Offenhauser aluminum pieces, and besides spending hours lettering and customizing those, the team also created an extended oilpan that goes back to the bellhousing and Bowler 6-speed.

So...blown and injected flattie with a six speed....Yep it looks old school, but really is over the top!!

I can't figure out "the isky bumpstick" :rolleyes: :lol:

Ron-Cizek-Cal-Auto-Creations-40-Ford-Rid

Edited by G Holding

I was just saying the 40 Ford is just not over the top as this in custom work is all, yes it was a nice build and change in little settle parts in the body work and such but nothing like the two in the top of the past winners or the 34 ford that was all hand made from ground up that made the great 8.

• 3 weeks later...

I sorta agree....but this car is Ridler Unique...Outside of the fact the frame and body are completley re done I suppose the motor is boring..just a flattie...OOPS>>>read this

The engine was a big hit with the crowds, under the 4.71 blower and fuelicon1.png injection is a ’53 Mercury flathead full of Ross pistons, Eagle rods, and an Isky bumpstick. The heads are Offenhauser aluminum pieces, and besides spending hours lettering and customizing those, the team also created an extended oilpan that goes back to the bellhousing and Bowler 6-speed.

So...blown and injected flattie with a six speed....Yep it looks old school, but really is over the top!!

I can't figure out "the isky bumpstick" :rolleyes: :lol:

Ron-Cizek-Cal-Auto-Creations-40-Ford-Rid

"Isky Bumpstick" is refering to a camshaft made by Ed Iskenderian.

Thanks for the link Kevin. I've always been a fan of Charlie Hutton ever since American Hot Rod. Boyd had a way of finding talent and some people on the show seemed to be there only for drama. I remember a guy they called Blue Bear and of course DeWayne who I think may have been responsible for Charlie leaving. ( and a lot of others) I seem to remember another guy named Chip Foose who worked for Boyd Wonder why he left?

Probably the real reason all the good talent left was because Boyd Coddington was a total DICK to his employees. He hated Chip Foose so bad for leaving and starting his own company that if any of his guys even TALKED to Chip he would fire them. That really came to light when Charlie gave his notice and Boyd found out that it was because he was going to work for Chip. Then he fired Mike Curtis, who had been with Boyd from the start and was in the car wreck with Boyd's son when he was killed, for designing a set of wheels for Chip. Duane is lucky he never got a beating from one of those guys for the way he treated them. NOBODY should ever have to work under someone that treats employees that way. I know I wouldn't have put up with it. He finally got canned by Boyd's wife when she took over the shop after he died and now has his own shop in Anaheim.