Model Cars Magazine Forum

i need info on chrome vacuuplating

jeffb

im in need of info on how to do plating. i know theres a few small scale platers out there, and im curious as to how its done. i do know the basics, but all the info i can find is how the big guys do it. if the cost isnt extreme, theres a chance i might be able to get the backing to do it.

im in need of info on how to do plating. i know theres a few small scale platers out there, and im curious as to how its done. i do know the basics, but all the info i can find is how the big guys do it. if the cost isnt extreme, theres a chance i might be able to get the backing to do it.

Jeff,

There is some "black art" involved, even with the proper equipment, so a learning curve is to be expected.

However, it's the cost of the equipment, and the electricity usage that can be prohibitive. Having talked at length with a vacuum plater who has a small unit in his basement, he tells me that it sucks up kilowatts like a vacuum cleaner.

Biscuitbuilder

whats wrong with bare metal foil?

Nothing at all wrong with BMF. However, Jeffb is a resin caster, and is looking to upgrade his kits with chrome bumpers, grilles and the like perhaps--and those parts are beyond most peoples' foiling skills. Not to mention, restoration of old styrene kit parts--so there is nothing wrong with either BMF or vacuum-plating--seems to me they both have a big place at the table in our hobby!

Biscuitbuilder