Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pair of 66 Novas- small update for now on the wagon

microwheel

Morning Guys, and thanks for the comments. Sorry updates are slow in coming, things have been a little busy around here and Im not getting the bench time I would like.

I did manage to get a little done on pops toy the past few days. I got the body color sanded and polished out. Well all but the hood, and I can do that anytime. I also got some work done on the vinyl top which is pretty much the subject of this post.

It might take 2 or 3 posts to get all the pics and info in so be patient as I get all this written up. Once the last post is written I will post (more to follow as I get it done) so you know that I am finished posting.

For the vinyl top, I ordered Model Car Garage's vinyl top material. It's a little harder to work with than the traditional masking tape painted black, but it's a true vinyl and IMO just makes a model look better. You have work at it a little bit to remove it from the backing, it's easy to get stretch marks in it if you try to remove it too fast, so a little patience goes a long way.

DSCF5183-vi.jpg

What you get when you open the package is 3 strips of vinyl material about 2 inches in width each, on a backing sheet of heavy plastic (almost the type of plastic used for the packaging bag)

DSCF5187-vi.jpg

I applied some tamiya masking tape on the roof of the model so I could mark out in pencil where I wanted the seams in the top to be.

DSCF5184-vi.jpg

Once I had my pencil marks made I removed the tape. These marks will give me about one inch of wrap over each side.

DSCF5185-vi.jpg

Next I cut loose one of the 3 pieces of the MCG vinyl material, this will be enough to do both side pieces of the top. This nice thing about this stuff from the MCG, you can do two models with it, if you plan your use with it carefully. What I don't use here on pops toy will be saved away for another project.

DSCF5188-vi.jpgI

I taped the material down on my crappy well used work bench, and marked it in the center at one inch and then using my straight edge ruler and my hobby knife with a new sharp blade, cut it down the center so I had two one inch wide pieces. Notice I left the backing on it at this point. Aside from it being a little hard to remove from the backing, this stuff is as easy to work with as BMF. You'll see later in the next post to follow.

DSCF5189-vi.jpg

Continued in the next post below......................

In the following pic, You'll see the first side complete. This is just to give you a idea of how nicely this stuff lays down, though you do have to burnish it with a soft rage and tooth picks to get all the wrinkles out of it.

DSCF5192-vi.jpg

I lay the sides down first using my pencil lines as a guide to keep them straight. And I always work this stuff from with the pencil lines as the starting edge and then work out to the door side edges. This stuff can wrinkle on you pretty easy, so work slow and carefully, and pull it gently where you need to, it will stretch a little, but you don't want to over stretch it. It's alot like applying a vinyl top on a real car. Once you have it on, just use the same process for tracing out the trim areas that you do with BMF, and then cut off the excess.

DSCF5194-vi.jpg

Here you can see just like the other side, just how nicely it lays down.

DSCF5195-vi.jpg

If you planned out and marked out you starting lines correctly, you should end up with even center lines for both sides. For this model, I have about 1 inch and 7/16ths of center space on the roof allowing for a 1/32 inch overlap on both sides.

DSCF5196-vi.jpg

DSCF5197-vi.jpg

To make sure of the center piece size, I applied some tamiya masking tape setting it back 1/32 of a inch from the edges of both finished sides, then measured the area, it came out to what I wanted,which was 1and 7/16ths inches. So you should have a edge to edge gap of 1 and 1/2 inches with a 1/32 over lap for each side.

DSCF5198-vi.jpg

Continued in the next post below.......................

I prepared another piece of the vinyl material for the center of the roof. It was measured out using the same process I did for the sides. And then cut to it's proper width at 1inch 7/16ths inches.

DSCF5199-vi.jpg

I removed one of the pieces of tape I had applied earlier but left the other piece to use as a straight edge guide when applying the center piece. Then I removed the backing from the center piece and, starting from the back window edge of the model, I sat the center piece into place using the tape as a guide to assure a even overlap. Then I used a tooth pick to trace out the trim lines along the model's chrome trim areas just as you would do for BMF. Doing this gives you a guide for cutting off the excess with an exacto knife.

DSCF5201-vi.jpg

I also used the tooth pick and a soft cloth to burnish down the entire top and bring out the overlap seam lines.

DSCF5200-vi.jpg

With the excess trimmed away, you should end up with a pretty nice vinyl top. I usually give my vinyl tops a little bit of a rub down with Novus 1 plastic clean and shine, just to pretty up the top a little bit.

The following pics are the completed top. Pop's toy is now ready for some BMF trimming and some body detail and then I can move on to other parts of the model.

DSCF5202-vi.jpg

DSCF5203-vi.jpg

DSCF5204-vi.jpg

That's pretty much where Im at for now. More to come as I get it done.

Edited by microwheel

Turned out great Jim! Good writeup on how to use it too! I have used this stuff in the past and it does a nice job. Foil is going to make this car pop!

Thanks Fred. I agree the Vinyl Top material from MCG is good stuff. It takes a little patience to work with but it's well worth the time.

Update for today.

Got the body on Pop's Toy pretty much covered where it needed it with Bare Metal Foil. Also got the gas cap scratch made, foiled and installed. As far as the body goes it's pretty much done except for adding the glass, bumpers, odds and ends chrome, and photoetched scripts. All that will come during the final assembly when I get that far. For now here are a few pics of the body with the vinyl top and BMF chrome work complete. I hope to start some serious construction on it this coming week. I also plan to get Mom's Toy wagon body wet sanded and polished out so I can get it caught up the where Pop's Toy is at.

DSCF5206-vi.jpg

DSCF5210-vi.jpg

DSCF5217-vi.jpg

DSCF5221-vi.jpg

DSCF5222-vi.jpg

DSCF5211-vi.jpg

More to come as I get it it done. And thanks alot for looking.

Hey Jim those are some really cool Novas man. Sorry I have been away with moving and all, but life comes first. I'll PM you sometime. Glad to see you working.

Joe.

Hey there Joe, thanks buddy, and it's really nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you had to move. Anytime you need to yak, just let me know.

Great write up and pictures of the vinyl top. Never knew there was this option from MCC. Does it come in several colors?

Nice progress on the HT,cant wait to see more of the wagon.

The MCG has only ever offered it in Black and White as Fred below said. I've been working on wet sanding and polishing out the wagon body the past few days and hope to have a update on it in a day or two.

Awesome Jim! When I got my material I believe black and white were the options.

Thanks Fred buddy, as of the other day when I was on the MCG website, they only had the black offered there. Don't know why they weren't offering the white this time.

Those are looking great can't to see more.

Thanks alot Mike, I hope to get more ready to update in a couple days.

Novas are my favorite cars and I like the project (s) you have going on here. The red paint and vinyl top work looks top notch....Keep at it.

Thanks alot Darryl, I had a yellow 66 nova ss back when I was a teen. I even was brave enough to add leopard skin seat covers. The seats were cool for the time I guess. At least the girls I dated back then liked them lol. I sure wish I still had that car today that's for sure.

Microwheel great job on the Nova's! My brother had a yellow 66 ss as well! His was corvette yellow with a set of rally wheels! Man that 327 was a sweet running engine!

Thanks Nicholas, I know what ya mean. Mine had a 327 also and a 4 speed. I just had a problem keeping starters in it for some reason and had to push start it alot. And believe me it sucked having to push start it on dates sometimes lol.

Beautiful builds and anxious to see them done! Love the vinyl top and the BMF looks fantastic!

Thanks alot Mike, I only wish I had more time on the workbench to get alot more done with them. That and Im still waiting one a few last detail supplies to come through the snail mail for them.

Got a little bit done on Mom's Toy the past few days. Got the body wet sanded and polished out, and started working on the BMF foil work for it.

Here is a reference pic of the final look I'm after for the wagon. Although Mom's toy will be quite a bit darker blue as you will see in the pics. I will try to take better pics of both bodies outside in the sun as soon as I get the time.

66_Chevrolet_Nova_wagon-vi.jpg

Here is a few quick pics I took tonight of the body cleaned up and the BMF foil work started on it. I just stuck the unfinished grill in place to get a idea of how it will look and fit to the resin body.

DSCF5240-vi.jpg

DSCF5239-vi.jpg

DSCF5255-vi.jpg

DSCF5251-vi.jpg

DSCF5256-vi.jpg

I hope to be able to work a little more often on these 2 in the comings days and have a little bit more frequent updates.

Edited by microwheel