Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Momad

Custom Mike

Looking good Mike.

Any chance you can do a quick tute on how to airbrush and use nail polish for me? Please? Or do you know of one elsewhere? Thanks.

Me, do a quick tutorial? It only took me what, 7 years do do one on Acrylic Filler! You should know better Kane! :lol: But I do have a link to a tute for ya,

try this out! Airbrushing Nail Polishes

Hey Mike,Just wishing you luck on this cool build.Fantastic,I like watching you build.Not only do you do the body mods you also make the interiors which I think,,? is I don't know I lack the words.I mean anybody can mod the body and slap it on a curb-side.But man your customs are complete..Thanks for showing us a thing or two.I like the ribs on the hood,you gonna carry them on to the roof also?Can't wait to see what you do with that big nose(on the car). :lol:

Cesar and Mike, thanks for the compliments, Kane, any time buddy! And now for a long-winded reply to Terry's response....

Hey Mike,Just wishing you luck on this cool build.Fantastic,I like watching you build.Not only do you do the body mods you also make the interiors which I think,,? is I don't know I lack the words.I mean anybody can mod the body and slap it on a curb-side.But man your customs are complete..Thanks for showing us a thing or two.I like the ribs on the hood,you gonna carry them on to the roof also?Can't wait to see what you do with that big nose(on the car). :o

I decided a long time ago to do as much as I could to modify everything. Doing it up as a curbside is easy, and would be much faster, but I get much more out of a build this way. Also, I'm trying to do these as Trans-Kits, I just need a good resin-caster to bite on one someday. I'd love to have one of my customs cast, and see everyone else's take on something I came up with. So I'm hoping doing all the extra mods pays off someday. As far as the roof ribs, I decided against them a long time ago, I have enough Nomad styling cues already, I wanted more of a blending of the Magnum and Nomad. Besides, I didn't think they'd look right myself. Now as for the nose, it looks much better once the headlight buckets and covers are in place, you'll see soon enough! I've gotta do something to keep you watching, don't I? :P

Thanks guys, I just do what I feel is cool, it's an added bonus that people like it. If I get some light days at work this week, I should be able to tighten up all my little issues, and get the primer/sealer thrown at it, wish me luck!

Luck? You don't need any luck! That is looking just spectacular! ;) I originally thought the nose was too heavy and the back light too squared off, but seeing it mostly monochromatic, I see that I was wrong. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We have progress, however slight it may seem, it's at least progress! I decided to go with the PE insets for the side trim versus the decals, which meant I had to notch the driver's side piece and trim it up to fit the gas filler door. It was tedious to say the least, but it worked out fine. Here's some shots of it all mocked up, more to follow in a minute!

Momad172-vi.jpg

Momad173-vi.jpg

Momad174-vi.jpg

And the last part of my update for tonight, I have the body nearly finalized (Just a few very tiny scratches to take care of), so I decided to mock it up with the headlights in place, and I like the way it looks so far. I'm still figuring what to put on the nose of the hood, but that's a small thing right now, I'll figure something out soon for it. Enjoy the pics, and hopefully I'll be able to get it in White primer this weekend!

Momad175-vi.jpg

Momad176-vi.jpg

Momad177-vi.jpg

Momad178-vi.jpg

Momad179-vi.jpg

Momad180-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I like the trim inserts. Did you cut the fuel filler in or just engrave it in?

Are you going for the original wheels or changing them?

The fuel filler is the same one that was engraved on the kit, I just added the trim over it. And I decided on the stock rims, just to keep some Magnum stuff around. That, and they fit perfectly! :(

The nose does sorta need some sort of trim or badges. Have you thought of some classic wide whites and sombreros for this? Since you're going retro, why not carry the idea further?

Rob, I stuck with the stock Magnum rims because I really like them, and they are about the only thing that screams Magnum on the outside of the car. As far as the hood, I'm considering the winged Chrysler trim piece from the Sebring, but I'm not sold on it yet, since it's not a Dodge trim piece. I'm looking at a bunch of pics of old Dodges right now, hoping for something that grabs my eye...

Have you considered opening a hole in the same shape as the grill below? It would have to be smaller.

I've considered it Jim, but the filler is very thick in that area, and would be a real bear to get right and not cause other issues. I found a badge from a 1940 Dodge that I'm considering, I just need to see if I can replace the Dodge script with a modern-looking one. Then there's the whole printing it on decal paper issue, which gives me fits!

OK, here's where I need some help. I did this in MS Paint, and I did the best I could, but it could use an expert to clean it up some more so I can make a decal out of it. Here's what I started with, and the final results. I need it removed from the green background, but I'm nowhere near good enough to do it myself.

NomadScript-vi.jpg

NomadScriptmodifiedFINAL-vi.jpg

Nice - VERY nice! That will look awesome, especially parked next to an Alternomad Caprice.

Thanks Larry, I've got an Alternomad in my stash, maybe now I'll have a reason to build it!

OK, I'm really stuck on the badges for the Momad, and I've got a few selections here, tell me which ones you think would be the best.

This first grouping is the Retro selection, a 1940 Dodge hood badge, with and without the Dodge above it, and the Momad script that a friend of mine (Racer Rick) came up with for me...

1940DodgeHoodEmblem-vi.jpg

1940DodgeHoodEmblemModified-vi.jpg

MomadScriptResized660x330-vi.jpg

And the Modern group, the Chrysler Winged hood badge modified for a Dodge, and a new Momad script using a totally new font. Let me know which ones you think would work better, and I'll get 'em printed up!

DodgeWingLogoModified-vi.jpg

ImagingService_ashx68-vi.png

You are tenacious man. You really stick with all the proper design elements. I love all the little design details that most other guys would just skip over. They make such a difference. When I saw the start of this, I had my doubts, but it's all pulling together in a really nice way. I should have known having seen some of your other work.

Ya got another great one going on here. :unsure:

P.S. I'd stay away from the retro version on the trim. 57 Chevy trim not withstanding, your car doesn't have enough retro elements to support it. It should look good with the "Momad" script.

cheers.

We have White primer! I've got to sand two spots down on the hood and and re-scribe one line a bit, then re-shoot it (I brushed up against it like an idiot!), but the rest looks really good. I'll let it cure for about 4 days, and then lay down some color!

Momad181-vi.jpg

Momad182-vi.jpg

Momad183-vi.jpg

Momad184-vi.jpg

Momad185-vi.jpg

Momad186-vi.jpg

You are tenacious man. You really stick with all the proper design elements. I love all the little design details that most other guys would just skip over. They make such a difference. When I saw the start of this, I had my doubts, but it's all pulling together in a really nice way. I should have known having seen some of your other work.

Ya got another great one going on here. :unsure:

P.S. I'd stay away from the retro version on the trim. 57 Chevy trim not withstanding, your car doesn't have enough retro elements to support it. It should look good with the "Momad" script.

cheers.

Thanks Alyn, I'm leaning toward the Modern stuff myself, it just fits better. But you know I like to give people the options I decide on, because God knows I'm not the only person on the planet, I might just be deciding on something stupid if I go with my first thought.

BTW, my first thought was the Retro stuff!