Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Impala Custom Two-Tone on air-ride

sarkasim99

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the feedback!

Great looking Impala, Ben. Which version did you use for this? I really like the firewall with out holes for the hinges going through the heater box.

I'm building 2 of these and have both the Revell versions; the Special edition and the SS California wheels version. Both have the hinges going through the fire wall. It's frustrating.

Ryan, this is the Revell 2 in 1 kit special edition. It does actually go through the firewall but with black around those areas and drawing the attention away from the hinges with lots of detail...it doesn't look too bad. Just make sure everything behind those holes is black as well. I suppose you could fill the gaps through the firewall and fabricate some hinges of your own. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it.

Very sharp looking Impala Ben! I like the wheels. But, I would go with nineteens up front or even all the way around. Twenty threes are just too big for fronts in my opinion. But, I'm a little old school. ;)

Now that I look at it more, I think I would like smaller as well. Maybe 20 and 22?

Beautiful paint work. Can you give us more information on the "wet clear." Who makes it?

It's Testors wet look clear. It's a one coat can but the way you paint, you have to be really really careful with this stuff. I actually ruined the first one, went out and bought a second kit just for a new body and hood. My fiance was really happy about that. I sprayed it on a little thicker than normal on the first coat and it bubbled like soda. It was awful. I tried to buff it out but it just ended up eating through the paint from the pressure I had to apply.

Super clean build with great little details. Flawless as far as I can tell. Got any chassis pics Ben?

I'll take a shot and put it up Albie.

Hey Ben your not to far from my place here in Canada pick me up I'll buy coffee we'll take it for a drive Darn it a model it looks so real Beautiful job on that Impala

Haha thanks Bob, I wish it was real.

Great lookin build. That beautiful smooth wet paint with the trim are the first things that just popped out at me right from the beginning. Very nice build, would love to see some underneath photos, maybe some of those eraser airbags.

I like how there is not one speck of dust on the car. The glass is extremely clear and clean...did you polish them by any chance? I have also had issues with the Testors wet look from applying to heavy of a coat. In the automotive paint world it is called solvent pop and it can be caused by many different factor's including to heavy of application. Basically the solvent is not able to flash out and get's trapped causing a bubble. Like you said once you sanded down that far it was a lost cause. Just makes this glass smooth paint job that much better my friend. Great work

Great lookin build. That beautiful smooth wet paint with the trim are the first things that just popped out at me right from the beginning. Very nice build, would love to see some underneath photos, maybe some of those eraser airbags.

Thanks Jason! Here's some chassis shots for you and everyone else.

IMG_2368_zps952394d7.jpg

IMG_2367_zpse7a65426.jpg

I like how there is not one speck of dust on the car. The glass is extremely clear and clean...did you polish them by any chance? I have also had issues with the Testors wet look from applying to heavy of a coat. In the automotive paint world it is called solvent pop and it can be caused by many different factor's including to heavy of application. Basically the solvent is not able to flash out and get's trapped causing a bubble. Like you said once you sanded down that far it was a lost cause. Just makes this glass smooth paint job that much better my friend. Great work

Thanks Steven, I take my time with the pictures and plan some, shoot some candid and I'm very picky with dust and particles on my models. I've noticed by using spray air in the can, it will resist dust for a moment. Those windows are surprisingly clean and clear even to me! I wiped them down very good and cleaned them a cotton shirt scrap and most importantly...very very carefully put them in place with cotton gloves. I try hard not to touch anything with bare fingers near photo time. Thanks for the explanation on the solvent pop thing, it was definitely irritating at the time.