Model Cars Magazine Forum

Titan 90 and IMC tanker

Against my better judgement I'm going to start one of these things. I never finish the kit when I make a thread about it but I figured I'm far enough along with this one that I should be able to get it done. This is the Titan 90 from the most recent reissue, I kept the kit engine but reworked the stacks and added twin air intakes. I also added a few more air tanks on the passenger side to fill in the hole the stock air filter normally lives in. I swapped the walking beam rear for the airbags from the Revell snap Peterbilt and also will steal the fuel tanks from there as well. The wheels are the kit Dayton style setup with super singles from Bergens on ebay. The wheels will be painted 50's aqua like the frame and will keep the chrome rings, the cab will be white with an aqua roof and maybe some stockish stripes like the ones on the box in aqua. I haven't started on the trailer yet but it will have the same color scheme and super singles. I'm going to do some smoothing on the trailer to make it look a bit more modern as well.

IMG_20150329_110732_629_zpshkboldea.jpg

IMG_20150329_110756_694_zpsscghnews.jpg

IMG_20150329_110815_811_zpsu6fzf8ue.jpg

I roughed in the tanker today. IMC was an ambitious company, their kits are a strange mix of innovation and poor execution. This tanker was designed to be built either in a 20" or 36" version but the parts to extend it fit poorly. The design is ingenious with molded in ribs hiding the extension but the parts don't line up and leave about a 1/8 inch gap that needs to be addressed. I removed all of the ribs and filled the gaps so it will look smoother along with filling the sink marks left from braces molded into the inside of the tank. The trailer will run the same super singles and wheels as the truck, I'm look for some custom fenders for the truck and trailer.

IMG_20150330_214639_533_zpsjhgcpbbo.jpg

These are the fenders I'm looking for.

NEW_RESIN_-_3-15-2012_006.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

Brian your rig is coming along nicely. What colors are you going to use?

The frame and roof of the cab are Testors 50's Aqua and the rest of the cab will be white. The trailer will have the same colors but I haven't worked out the scheme yet. I'm still working out the interior colors as well.

Lookin' really good so far. the ol' Jimmy will ride nice with the modified air ride ....Nice to have different stacks.....Lookin' forward to the progress

I bought the stacks off ebay and will be getting more, they really do look nice.

The poor fit of the tanker was overcome by cutting off most of the mounting tabs and making my own out of Evergreen and most of a tube of Squadron white putty. I'll probably will have to wait until the weekend to sand it to give it time to dry.