Model Cars Magazine Forum

lets see some motor

Car Man

The decals are not available, but I have the artwork done. It looks like someone is going to produce them. I can let you know about that - give me about two more weeks.

Looking forward to seeing your R&W engine when I get hom - photos are blocke at work for some reason.

Chris, that would be great and take your time with that. I'd definitely be interested in those decals. Thanks.

Very cool, Chris! Are the decals for the Castronovo Charger available, or are you going to make them yourself? That's one I've always wanted to do too. In the meantime, this is the engine I'm doing for my 1/16th Radici & Wise Vega.

image_zps0b16609a.jpg

image_zps5816c76a.jpg

Aaron.... i sure hope you bring this to the Desert scale Classic next month. I would love to see it in person. It looks great so far. Nice job!

Chris, will the Phil Castronovo's 1971 mini charger decals be in 1/25 scale??? I would be interested in a set myself as I saw this car run many, many times when I was a kid. Please let me know any info you have, thanks!

Here's a 1/16 scale engine I built to take to shows I vend at to show off my new 1/16 scale parts line. The engine came out of one of the FE Revell dragster kits.

Charlie

Pro Tech

116engbuild35.jpg

116engbuild33.jpg

116engbuild32.jpg

116engbuild29.jpg

116engbuild28.jpg

116engbuild27.jpg

Although my stuff is no where near the caliber of some being shown here. There was a time when I would get a little detail crazy, but for the most part anymore I stick pretty close to box stock with maybe plug wires .

Here goes

99% of what I build are vintage drag cars ( all makes ) and Mopar Muscle cars

1965 Landy AFX Dodge

LandyAFX_zps54db8ed0.jpg

1964 Hubert Platt Thunderbolt

PlattTbolt_zpsb517d00e.jpg

Dougs Headers - Chevy 2 Much

Chevy2much_zpsd979ef8e.jpg

1964 Super Stock Dodge

CrossramHemi_zps5ff1ba53.jpg

Wild Willie Borsch Altered

392_zpsb3cd58ae.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

A few factory stock builds

1970 Dodge Charger - replica of a good friends 1/1 car

1970Charger_zps69286221.jpg

Replica of my former 1/1 1969 GTX

1969GTX_zps93abebe3.jpg

Also, I am building a replica of my former 1/1 1970 Challenger 340

1970-340_zps5c7279c4.jpg

1969 Charger Daytona ( AMT kit )

Daytona_zps3158eda9.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Chris, will the Phil Castronovo's 1971 mini charger decals be in 1/25 scale??? I would be interested in a set myself as I saw this car run many, many times when I was a kid. Please let me know any info you have, thanks!

Here's a 1/16 scale engine I built to take to shows I vend at to show off my new 1/16 scale parts line. The engine came out of one of the FE Revell dragster kits.

Charlie

Pro Tech

Hi Charlie,

I always love your work.

The decals will be in 1/25. I was going to do them as dry transfers, but it looks like someone will make decals of them. The pic is the almost completed sheet when I was going to have dry transfers made. I am now setting them up for decals and separating the colors right now to get things done. Needless to say the color on the attached is a bit wacky. The magenta represents white. The big question is what color goes in the words mini, charger and Custom Body. I think the fill should be gold metallic. The last time I saw the car was in 1971 when I was 11, and all my reference photos are inconclusive. I have a couple color photos and gold looks like the way to go. I grew up in Rome NY, which was the next town over from Utica where the Castronovos are/were from.

The car went thru a few redos during 1971. I am doing what I believe to be the "as built" scheme, just prior to what is shown in the postcard. I am removing the "Phil Burkhart" names. They were for another project. Chris

cbmc-vi.jpg

The decals will be in 1/25. I was going to do them as dry transfers, but it looks like someone will make decals of them. The pic is the almost completed sheet when I was going to have dry transfers made. I am now setting them up for decals and separating the colors right now to get things done. Needless to say the color on the attached is a bit wacky. The magenta represents white. The big question is what color goes in the words mini, charger and Custom Body. I think the fill should be gold metallic. The last time I saw the car was in 1971 when I was 11, and all my reference photos are inconclusive. I have a couple color photos and gold looks like the way to go. I grew up in Rome NY, which was the next town over from Utica where the Castronovos are/were from.

The car went thru a few redos during 1971. I am doing what I believe to be the "as built" scheme, just prior to what is shown in the postcard. I am removing the "Phil Burkhart" names. They were for another project. Chris

[img=http://images43.fotki.com/v679/photos/0/997090/11521557/cbmc-vi.jpg]

Those look real good, Chris! I'm pretty sure I have some pics of the car. I'd be glad to email some to you if you'd like, just PM me.

Hi Charlie,

I always love your work.

cbmc-vi.jpg

Chris, the decals look great, are you going to be doing the pink background for the sides and top of hood/deck lid? If so will they be fittied to the Revell (I think) release. I think the inner color for "Mini Charger" was gold leaf, not sure on "Custom Body. The only pics I shot were in the pits of Capitol (or Budds Creek) raceway in Maryland but the car only had the pink sides with no lettering at all when I shot the car. Keep me informed on the decal project.

Charlie

Pro Tech

Chris, the decals look great, are you going to be doing the pink background for the sides and top of hood/deck lid? If so will they be fittied to the Revell (I think) release. I think the inner color for "Mini Charger" was gold leaf, not sure on "Custom Body. The only pics I shot were in the pits of Capitol (or Budds Creek) raceway in Maryland but the car only had the pink sides with no lettering at all when I shot the car. Keep me informed on the decal project.

Charlie

Pro Tech

Hi Charlie,

I am not going to do the sides for two reasons. First is I think it is beyond my capabilities as a Corel Draw amateur to do it and get them to fit properly, and secondly, the front and rear bumper areas need to be the same color as the sides, and I think they have too much curvature to get the decals to lay down properly.

Do you recall the car as being a hot pink? I seem to recall it leaning more red, but it was 42 years ago I saw it! The Super Stock and Drag magazine with it on the cover makes it look sort of wild cherry, and the article describes it as candy cherry. The Drag Racing USA magazine I have has a picture that makes it look a bit redder, and they describe the car as "glowing in wild cherry" paint. The postcard I scanned makes it look very pink, but it was on my bedroom wall for many years and the whole thing has faded a lot. I have some HOK wild cherry pearl that looks maybe a bit to purplish, but it is bright! Not quite sure what I am going to paint it. My brother and I stopped by Custom Body about 2 years ago and met with Fred Castronovo - I should have asked him if he had any color pictures.

I am now working on the grill for the car. That is the last item I am going to try and do. It is very similar to the grill Slixx includes for the Hawaiian, but the CB grill has less detail. Chris

Chris, here's the only pic I took of the car (Phil included) when I was a kid. I remember the color being more vivid pink then red tone. The grill area (not sure if paint was finished in that area) was just blacked out. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Pro Tech

post-721-0-53075600-1362924341_thumb.jpg

I'm not even close to being remotely in the league of some of the builders here but here are a couple of mine in progress:

All are 1/16th

Twin turbo 440 conversion

post-9657-0-25409400-1363382077_thumb.pn

Pink Hemi I'm puting in a Pink Charger for my Daughter, she hates pink :)

post-9657-0-62024400-1363382140_thumb.pn

Made a cross ram for my General Grant version of the Dukes Charger

post-9657-0-98637100-1363382186_thumb.jp

Well I'm far behind at you guys on this, but I decided to post some of my engines, too.

This 409 is for '62 Impala Stocker.

DSCN0263.jpg

409 For '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery Pro Street. There is still a lot work with this one...

DSCN0589.jpg

Ford 427 For my Thunderbolt Drag Car.

DSCN1179_zps6515eed3.jpg

Hemi of '68 Dodge Dart SS/B.

P9080387.jpg

And '69 Nova F/Stocker's Chevy 350.

P4180110.jpg