Model Cars Magazine Forum

66' Mustang Fastback / ProStreet ProTouring Hybrid

Codi

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd do this new post as I've got the hang of how to post now and to share my first completed build after my 40 year hobby hiatus. This car was a blank canvas and it kicked and fought me in many different ways. Not least because I was new to all of the options/materials/tools that we have today but I didn't when I was a kid.

The car was to be kind of old school but with a "modern" twist. I wanted to stuff the widest rears ( I grew up in the late 60's /. early 70's) but not tub the car. The only way to be legal back then was to put flared fenders / extensions on that covered most of the tire. So I grafted Shelby Cobra fenders on it and re-worked them substantially. I opened the trunk and did the mandatory nostril scoop. (they have pounded brass frames with glued screen to fill em') The rear quarter window panels were drilled out and a zillion teensy rivets installed. The R model front bumper and rear glass were installed and I made scratch aluminum brackets to hold it in place. The front grill surround and topside radiator supprt are scratch aluminum. The door handles are kitbash, drilled out and pinned to the door. The engine is a modified 427FE with modern EFI. A lot of scratch work went into the motor. It was originally a Gibson motor. I added a scratch remote oil filter and alum. oil radiator. The water radiator is fabbed of alum. The shorty headers were fabbed from brass and took several weeks to do. The bellcrank/throttle linkage is complete I assure you even though you can't see it for the rectangular plenum plates I made. All fuel, oil, water, radiator, brake and heater lines were added/installed and the firing order is correct. The engine has a standar 4 speed and the shift linkage is installed as well. The shifter is scratch. The firewall and inner fender wells were fabbed out of alum. sheet. The chassis is old school with leaf springs and threaded collar adjustable coil overs in the rear. The front suspension from the kit was junked and a scratch built IFS was installed. Most of it is made of alum. and brass. The exhaust is alum. with the requisite cherry bombs and DM exhaust manifold flanges. Wheels have air valves and the brakes are drilled disc at all corners. The brake cylinder and pro-valve are scratch. The interior has scratchbuilt dash pieces and seat frames. The rear seat was cut out and an alum. package shelf fabbed as were the alum. door side panels. The roll cage is alum. and the belts were made of red/black material that was painstakingly (I really mean that one) together to get the 2 tone effect. Theres a key fob too. There is a fabric headliner and the color is Testors Bright Yellow The car was painted 3 times till I got it right. After the first purple pond bath the body work was pretty much destroyed and I had to kinda start over again. This car was a struggle BUT it taught me so many lessons so that I can attempt to build almost anything with confidence and really enjoy the process of design and fabrication. I know why people love to scratchbuild now. It gets in your blood. Almost 2 years in the making and hundreds of hours of effort. I want to close by saying a special thanks to Donn Yost as I was struggling a year into this build and I had bought his paint DVD tutorial. When I was getting frustrated, he talked me off the ledge and gave me the best advice of all....start other projects and have others going when you start feeling burned out on a build. Then come back to it and you can see the forest for the trees again. I wanted to share because he didn't have to but he did and I'm all the better as a builder for it.

Your feedback/comments and criticisms are welcome I assure you. Tim

MUSTANGFINALPICS058-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS006-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS020-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS069-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS077-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS083-vi.jpg

MustangAssembly122711028-vi.jpg

ustangShifterExhaustInstall003-vi.jpg

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for the very generous comments. And I want to say "hi" especially to Donn as it's always great to hear from the "old man" himself. I've posted my FOTKI link below on this car....there are 300 pics of it's bits and pieces during construction...take a peek and let me know what you think or if I can answer any questions. Most sincerely, Tim

http://public.fotki.com/Steppenwolf56/66-mustang-fastback/

There are a lot of good builders on these forums who present a lot of really high quality work. I am always impressed by the level of detail and cleanliness, but only a few times have I just stared in amazement wondering how these things could have possibly been done. This is a very impressive build. Not only the amount of detail, but how precisely and cleanly it was done. I didn't like the stance at first, but it's growing on me. i love the fender flares. Very well done.

excellent work on your "comeback" build.

I have another tip for you if you plan on using that style of fan again, the line etched in the fan blades is the point which the blade should be bent backwards to form a propeller like blade. A google search for automotive flex fans should give you an idea what they should look like.

the current configuration would not pull any air through the radiator while the car is sitting still.

Incredible. What else can you say? I was ogling the rear end U bolts and separate nuts, when it occurred to me that this is the kind of detail that you see in those epic build threads, where the builder is going all-out on the tiniest amazing stuff, and then the thread goes dry and the car is never finished. This wild Mustang has that same energy literally everywhere, but it's a finished car. A rare thing. The photography is great too. This needs to be on a magazine cover, MCM.

-MJS

Hi guys,

Thanks again for taking the time to look at the build and share your opinions and suggestions.

For Mike Cassidy, another bonehead on my part regarding the fan blades. Noted for my future builds.....I do appreciate your constructive notes/criticisms/observations as they make one a better builder. And we all strive to get better.

And to Mike Schnur, THANK YOU for noting the time/effort that went into the build just from an "adversity" level. I never give up when I tackle something but man o' man this car tested me for sure. It's one of the reasons I called out Donn Yost for the "pep" talk in pursuing the build when it was stalling out. Your compliments are appreciated I assure you.

Tim