Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty 1968 Roadrunner

Scottnkat

Lookin' really good, Scott. Your builds have inspired ME to do some vintage Nascar racers. Collecting parts and reference as we speak, and I DO believe I have some #21 and #13 decals around here somewhere! I'll start just as soon as I finish a couple of short track cars I'm working on...Lol.

When were those sheet metal pans used on the chassis??? I can't believe NASCAR allowed them for more than 1 or 2 races?? I've never seen pictures of the 1/1 with them....are there any?? TIA

They did crazy stuff back then. Remember the Junior Johnson Mercury driven by Lee Roy Yarbrough had the exhaust ran straight out the back instead of the side. Anybody that drafted him for more than a half lap had to back off because of the fumes! What suprises ME about that belly pan is how ametuerish it looks, NOT Scotts model, the REAL one. You would think the Petty's could do better than that. I have some pictures of Smokey Yunick's Chevelle, and it was a work of art....perfectly notched and welded for the suspension, even the exhaust had a channel it ran in. But like you said, that kind of stuff didn't last long! Lol.

And the Roadrunner is getting there...

I've done the BMF around the windows, installed the windows, put on the hood pins on the trunk and the cover over the front of the engine compartment. Tomorrow are the hood's hood pins and maybe we can finally get around to mounting the body (fingers crossed). I still have to do the door handles, but the body is almost there...

DSCN1075a.jpg

Edited by Scottnkat

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it.

And the Roadrunner body is on the chassis!

DSCN1078a.jpg

Here's a shot of the engine compartment. Yes, I've already got the hood pins all in place and ready to go.

DSCN1079a.jpg

Finally, just to show what the bottom looks like, here's a shot that is somewhat similar to that pic posted earlier in this thread. It's not too far off, I think.

DSCN1081a.jpg

Again, very enviable collection. You are truly dedicated to your craft. I love your "all or nothing" approach to modeling. Well done, sir!..........The '64 is still my favorite......so far! Love that body style. Do I hear a Charger coming around turn 2, hehehe ?

Edited by Bartster