Model Cars Magazine Forum

bad finish

I'm working on a Carroll 427 street..I used Walmart dollar primer, Duplicolor blue and A off brand clear gloss from the Dollar store. after wet sanding the first clear coat, it started to peel like snake skin. as in when a snake sheds its skin it started to pee like that. what would be the cause of this the cheap gloss paint???

Non compatible products would be my guess ! Just a bit of advice , stick with name brand products and stay within their respective zones . Going to use Testors ? Use nothing but across the board . Tamiya ? Same situation ! This applies to any paint product . Some paints are just not compatible with models period !

You just learned a lesson with this paint job .... Cheaper is never better and it always comes back to bite you in the hindquarters ! I would suggest sticking with the hobby paints , they are produced specifically for models , thus avoiding the hassles that you just went through .

Jamie, that advice is the best, and from one of the masters of paint. As far as correcting that paint job. I am not sure how duplicolor works. You may try letting it soak in some purple power overnight then use a tooth brush to scrub it clean under running water. This what I do when I mess up. If the paint don't come off, that's ok just sand it lightly make sure there are no scratches.

thanks Kaleb and holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Mr. lonewolf it is truly a pleasure i've heard so much about you and legendary work! from YouTube to every conversation with other other modelers!!!! Thank you so much for the much needed lesson and advice. Etown!!! Purple power huh..I've heard that before. I'll try it Thankx kelab

Bill has the best advise. If using product you are not familuar with always, always, always test on something else first. You will be glad you did. You can mix and match some products but in my 50 years of building I learned the hard way to test first. The spoon test is always a good idea.