Model Cars Magazine Forum

Silver Bullet 67 Plymouth GTX

Car Crazy 81

Y'know what's interesting about the Petty Blue 440 Six [barrel] 4-speed Superbird with white interior trade request ? I recall seeing an ad in either Hot Rod or Car Craft in their "For Sale" section in which someone was selling a vehicle as described !

I wish that I could recall what year / issue the ad was in ; however , suffice it to say , it was in the mid-1970's . Talk about coincidences !

not to take this thread down the unbeaten path even farther, here is an interesting article on the "petty blue" color.

http://www.brcook.com/id28.html

look forward to the build...... I am NOT going to start mine.... I repeat ..... I am NOT going to start mine ... I repeat... I am NOT going to start mine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good thing is that it has the parts I need except for the cross-ram intake, exhaust and the deeper set of Cragars for the rear.

The MPC '67 Charger had a 426 w/ a crossram.

100_1733.jpg

Check the Revell '67 and '68 Charger kits for the deeper Cragars. Not positive if they were deeper, but they were supposed to go with the kit supplied cheater slicks.

Since i screwed up the body by making an attempt to bulge the quarter panels. I wind up getting an old glue bomb in a trade.142.jpg

well, I hope you will continue to get this build done. hope I am not repeating, but the real car, the 1/4's were vertically sliced, bent out and filled in. maybe you should thin the well a little, make the vertical cuts and fill in. the big challenge will be the body lines. hopefully this will keep on rolling.

The MPC '67 Charger had a 426 w/ a crossram.

Check the Revell '67 and '68 Charger kits for the deeper Cragars. Not positive if they were deeper, but they were supposed to go with the kit supplied cheater slicks.

just about every kit with a hemi in it has a cross ram, those are easy to find. it's the cragars, best set i have seen bar none are out of the 70 1/2 Baldwin/Motion camaro. that's where I got mine. don't know if the hemi darts have deeper ones in the back or not.

Hey guys just stopped by here, and saw the topic and ...........................................wow lots of awesome info, for sure.if I may add,,,, there was a show on speed channel called Dream car garage, thy did an story about the Silver Bullet. the spot lasted about maybe 6-8 mins but was super cool!. Season 4 Episode 9

I have an unfinished build of the Silver Bullet sitting in the box for about ten years. This was the last thing I was working on before I had a three-year break from scale modeling. When I got back into modeling, I had totally lost interest in finishing it. This will probably never get finished.

Back then I´ve read an article in a German US car magazine and used it as a reference. I heated and stretched the rear fenders and removed the chrome trim from the wheel arches all around. Skills and standards have improved during the last years and I´d need to do some refinements on the rear fenders to please the rivet counter that I eventually became...LOL.!! I wasn´t that experienced with putty back then and there´s still a bit of work needed to really get it right. But I´d rather start a new build instead of reworking this model. Maybe someday in the unknown future. If I had known earlier that you needed a replacement body, I would´ve been in for a trade. However...here´s some fresh pics of my rejected model.

3966366433323631.jpg

6363623263386638.jpg

3537363534313763.jpg

3933646362336537.jpg

3665643234386666.jpg

I used NASCAR tires in the back as they look pretty nice and "meaty" for this car. The cross-ram is from AMT´s ´69 GTX and the carbs were from...I think...Bob Glidden´s Thunderbird dragster. Headers and mufflers came from Revell´s ´68 Charger. I used Tamiya chrome silver for the body. It was the paint from the glass jars, thinned down and then airbrushed.

Well, maybe the pics are an inspiration for you to get back to your build of this awesome MOPAR!!

Cheers,

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...