Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 MPC Nascar Petty Charger; a kit change just announced

'70 Grande

FYI: The soon-to-be-reissued 1/16 Nascar Petty Charger kits will be on their way to America soon, but a new announcement regarding this reissue has just been released; the following message is from the manufacturer:

"The MPC-767 1/16 Petty Charger kit has been molded with an opaque "Petty Blue" body as opposed to a clear body. After several attempts using various types of plastics and injection tricks, we were not able to achieve the quality or durability we needed in order to do the kit with a clear body. The age of the tooling along with the recent backdating work we had to do were the reasons. We had to make the decision to mold the body in Petty blue instead, which is reflected in the updated packaging. The chassis/motor/interior parts are molded in grey, similar to the original kit."

I personally think this will be an improvement for this reissue, but I also hope the Petty Blue plastic is in an accurate color.

Interesting Mega Hobby is showing the kit in stock with the clear body. I ordered one on Sunday and I didn't receive a back order notice. Do you know if any were shipped with clear bodies?

If I'm reading the statement Mark posted above correctly, none were done in clear plastic, only blue.

To me this is good news. Clear plastic is difficult to work with in some instances and I was going to paint mine at any rate.

I can see where some are going to be upset with the body being issued in an opaque plastic and I feel a little sad for them.

Let's hope ALL the original parts have been restored and bring em on!!!!!!

BTW, this will be my FIRST NASCAR build ever. I picked a good one.

Bob

From Round 2's Facebook page:

The MPC767 1/16 Richard Petty 1973 Dodge Charger kit is molded with an opaque "Petty Blue" body as opposed to the clear body produced in the original release in the 1970’s. After several attempts using various types of p...lastics and injection tricks, we were not able to achieve the quality or durability we needed in order to produce the kit with a clear body. The reasons being, the age of the tooling in conjunction with the recent backdating work we had to do, to recreate the stock car body details. The difficult decision was made to mold the body in opaque Petty blue instead, which looks very attractive. The packaging has been updated accordingly and there is no mention of the body being molded in clear. The chassis/motor/interior parts are molded in grey, similar to the original kit.

FYI: The soon-to-be-reissued 1/16 Nascar Petty Charger kits will be on their way to America soon, but a new announcement regarding this reissue has just been released; the following message is from the manufacturer:

"The MPC-767 1/16 Petty Charger kit has been molded with an opaque "Petty Blue" body as opposed to a clear body. After several attempts using various types of plastics and injection tricks, we were not able to achieve the quality or durability we needed in order to do the kit with a clear body. The age of the tooling along with the recent backdating work we had to do were the reasons. We had to make the decision to mold the body in Petty blue instead, which is reflected in the updated packaging. The chassis/motor/interior parts are molded in grey, similar to the original kit."

I personally think this will be an improvement for this reissue, but I also hope the Petty Blue plastic is in an accurate color.

On the original box art, if you notice the inset picture it shows a clear body over the frame. The caption beneath it reads "Clear see-through body"

On the new issue, the same inset shows a see-through body with a blue tint. Now the caption beneath it reads "Loaded with features - Big on detail"

After adding up the clues, I'd guess that it is still a see-through body, but now it has a blue tint.

But....I could be wrong

Interesting Mega Hobby is showing the kit in stock with the clear body. I ordered one on Sunday and I didn't receive a back order notice. Do you know if any were shipped with clear bodies?

It's common for retailers to use past box art for new releases simply because they don't have the updated on. Most likely you will get the blue tinted see-through body.

The good thing for the original kit owners is, they will still have value....just not like before.

Edited by Marty "Hatchet"

Good question Greg, (regarding all of those old, clear-plastic kits that you've listed), but I don't think any of those kits were from MPC, AMT, AMT/Ertl or any kit manufacturers directly-associated with MPC/AMT/Round-2.

I think that I read somewhere that the "chemical-formula" for making the clear-plastic in the original 1/16 MPC Nascar Charger kits has been lost. (Understandable, considering how long ago it was developed, and how people and companies have changed over all of these years; MPC into AMT... AMT into AMT/Ertl... AMT/Ertl into Round-2...etc).

Also consider how complex recreating this clear-plastic chemical-formula might be; too much of one ingredient, (or not enough of another ingredient), and the plastic becomes too soft, (or too hard, or too brittle, or too pliable, or unable to release itself from it's molds, or lacking clearness and too foggy... etc).

I'm just glad to see this kit actually still being produced, whatever the color of styrene it comes in. I'm certain that this was a costly exercise for Round-2 to go through, (making the body pieces in opaque Petty Blue styrene). How many kit manufacturers might have just dropped the project when they started to encounter these production issues? We should consider ourselves lucky that this kit is still going to be produced and available for purchase!

Wonder if it's a tech issue or a price issue...

Considering Tamiya released a clear-bodied version of their LFA a couple of months ago, but the U.S. MSRP was $92.

So perhaps they can't make a clear plastic body that BIG that retains the qualities they desire. Or they can't make one satisfactorily for the price they think they'd be able to sell this kit for...it's not like the nostalgia crowd is going to pony up say $50 for it. I imagine the $35 it costs at Tower -- figure $43ish at LHS is already making some people cringe.

When Round-2 uses the language, "...opaque Petty Blue body...", that to me means it is NOT see-through in any way, shape or form.

A clear blue tint would be cool but you're probably right Mark...

It just seems to defeat the whole purpose of reissuing this kit with a solid body. Not to say they wouldn't or didn't, but It would just be a slightly altered version of the "street Charger" that's on the shelves now. If that's the case, it would have been much better to redesign the box art to reflect that.

Maybe when one of you guys gets one, let us know what's in there...I'd love to know.

I think the problem also stems from the amount of work the original mold has gone through. The repairs may have cause the clear plastics to be highly distorted. I personally will be glad to have it with out the clear, I was planning on painting it anyway.

So in all reality we've been duped. Take one Dukes of Hazzard kit build without the body add the body from either the red or black street Charger ( you'll have to rely on your model building skills here) filling in the hole in the hood. Oh yeah, you'll have to switch out those nasty Dukes wheels for the NASCAR wheels and tires in the black kit. Now you have your Grand National Stock Car with out that nasty ol clear body.

Edited by Greg Myers

I can't wait for this to be on the shelves. I had the Baker kit as a kid, and made a complete mess of it. I don't care if it's clear or opaque. I just want the opportunity to do it right. My experiance with clear plastic parts is they are brittle and don't like to be flexed. From years of watching original kits on e-bay with broken clear body parts, the opaque plastic (wish it was white) is probably the best solution.

At least the collectors of original kits will be able to sell at exorbitant prices. I like it when the reissues devalue the old kits especially when the old kits are damaged or missing pieces.

So in all reality we've been duped. Take one Dukes of Hazzard kit build without the body add the body from either the red or black street Charger ( you'll have to rely on your model building skills here) filling in the hole in the hood. Oh yeah, you'll have to switch out those nasty Dukes wheels for the NASCAR wheels and tires in the black kit. Now you have your Grand National Stock Car with out that nasty ol clear body.

Not quite. If you've ever seen this kit in the box you'd know there are at least 3 more trees of parts as compared to the DOH and Street Charger kits.

This kit is detailed to the MAX and when it is released I hope someone will post pics of the trees involved. There really are that many more parts. Not only that, but this kit is what these molds are all about. The Street Charger and DOH kits were afterthoughts.

Bob

I was just looking forward to the clear body version that's all.....you know....like they advertised. Does that make me a complainer?

No my point is that this kit is a Round 2/MPC kit. They have zero to do with Revell. Two COMPLETELY separate companies. Ergo if Revell was getting complaint calls about a Round 2 kit the lack of the clear plastic body must be epically

disappointing. ;)

Akin to calling McDonald's and complaining Papa John's made your pizza wrong...

Edited by niteowl7710