Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you guys purchase your supplies if you don't live near a hobby shop?

LHS for paints/tools/supplies and kits. We have a great shop close to us modelcave.com Also grab kits at swap meets. I will also grab stuff at our club meeting. Always seems to be a lot of buying/selling/swapping going on at out club meetings, guess I am kinda lucky to be part of such an active club.

Models: Usually internet, mainly ebay.

Paints: Advance Auto, Pep Boys and Walgreens. (nail polishes)

Supplies: Different hobby shops we visit when we go over to the states to attend model car shows. Usually I stock up for a whole year. (We are a team of 3 or 4 that haul from Puerto Rico to compete in shows in the USA)

99% of the time I get everything locally.

BUT, just recently had to order 2 cans of paint online. As I couldn't find it anywhere locally. And at almost $18 with postage added in,,,, never again. I'll have my local hobby shop order if they can, otherwise I'll make due with something else

For tools, don't overlook IPMS or railroad show/sales. The railroad show vendors have it all over the usual hobby shop selection. A few weeks ago, I bought a couple of nice panel scribing tools and some Dremel burrs. As a bonus, I also found a cleanly built, unpainted SMP '59 Impala convertible for $10! The IPMS shows are good too: lots of different tools and paints that the local shops don't often carry.

If you have a plastics supplier in your area (check the phone book), if they have a retail store it will often include a scrap pile, where they sell leftovers and cutoffs from jobs. I've found styrene sheet in thicknesses ranging from .040" to about 1/8", in pieces bigger than will ever be needed for any one project. Price was $1.50 per pound; buy five pounds, get five more free. Ten pounds of sheet plastic is a bunch! I've never bought a full sheet, but I understand even those don't cost a whole lot. Maybe buy one of each available thickness, and split with friends or club members (or sell some at a show to recoup your cost).

For kits it's eBay. No matter how obscure the subject, somebody has it there. I also find occasional deals at the local antique mall. I get most of my supplies from my, very good, LHS and from Micro Mark. For anything specific, I go wherever I can find it.