Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

I refuse to pay absurd prices for 50 year old kits so when I spotted this built up in good condition I snagged it for $15. Most of the time I see a 67 Mustang it is a glue bomb.  The chassis and engine were trashed but are identical to the 68 Shelby kit that are plentiful and cheap.

IMG_1448.JPG

Sweet deal! I'd have jumped on that one myself. 

One of them used to be the original Monogram 55 Chevy until I got one from Bob Black over at TRaK. The Yellow Jacket is probably a priority now, but I really want any of the vintage Revell Drag double kits. I've got enough parts packs to make a couple of them, but I'd really like an intact kit.

Image result for monogram 55 chevy

Related image

• 2 years later...

I finally found one of these and paided stupid money for it.  I wanted to make my first car which was a 69 notch back(aka coupe).  This kit has the option  to build a stock version.  Apparently Revell reconfigured the mold to make the later fastback so it has never been reissued.  

Boxart '69 Mustang 1261 Revell

I just bought one of my Grail kits: AMT annual '66 Riviera, unbuilt, box, instructions, decals, everything. It's nowhere near as good as the "new" one, but that was one of my first two AMT kits back in the day (the other was the Corvair--I honestly don't remember which one I got first). A box full of nostalgia! 

On 11/3/2017 at 9:20 AM, Snake45 said:

I've been fortunate enough to score most of my "holy grails" off ePay in the last decade or so--a few unbuilt kits, but mostly restorable glue bombs.I'm a fairly happy camper at this point in my life.

As to stuff I don't have, probably JoHan '69 GTX, MPC '68 Coronet and MPC '68 Impala Oh, and AMT '65 Chevelle. For stuff that I have already built or have restorable glue bombs of, it would be nice to have mint unbuilt kits of:

AMT '67 Camaro

AMT '66 Mustang Fastback

MPC '67 Bonneville

Original first-issue AMT '65 GTO

MPC '68 and '69 GTOs

AMT '66 Skylark

Since that post, I've scored an original AMT '67 Camaro box with instructions and a lot of pieces, a workable '67 Bonneville promo, a Modelhaus '68 Coronet, a second issue (Tiger box) '65 GTO, and two AMT '65 Chevelles--one promo, one Craftsman. 

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I just bought one of my Grail kits: AMT annual '66 Riviera, unbuilt, box, instructions, decals, everything. It's nowhere near as good as the "new" one, but that was one of my first two AMT kits back in the day (the other was the Corvair--I honestly don't remember which one I got first). A box full of nostalgia! 

Check the chassis in the old and new kits.  I seem to recall them being mirror images of one another (gas tank/spare tire well are assymetrical on those cars).  I wonder which one is correct?

10 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

I finally found one of these and paided stupid money for it.  I wanted to make my first car which was a 69 notch back(aka coupe).  This kit has the option  to build a stock version.  Apparently Revell reconfigured the mold to make the later fastback so it has never been reissued.  

Boxart '69 Mustang 1261 Revell

No the current Revell fastback doesn't share anything with this kit, which turned into a funnycar IIRC

I was fortunate enough to recently bag 2 of my grail kits: Jo-Han ‘68 Chrysler 300 and Jo-Han ‘70 AMC Rebel. Both complete (Rebel was still sealed) and both for wayyyyyyy less dinero than I’ve seen ‘em go for. 
Still on my grail list would be AMT ‘65 or ‘66 Barracuda, a few Jo-Han Caddy kits that always seem to sell for more than I care to pay and the MPC, molded in orange, ‘Cuda Street Machine with that ridiculous wing on the back. The latter, because that was the first model kit I built when I was a youngster.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Check the chassis in the old and new kits.  I seem to recall them being mirror images of one another (gas tank/spare tire well are assymetrical on those cars).  I wonder which one is correct?

The new kit is correct. 

I had a '69 Riviera. They have an electric fuel pump in the tank. I had to pull the pump and clean the crud out of it a couple times. The tank is definitely on the passenger side.

Edited by Can-Con

Mine was the Cobra racing team but as you all know it was re released not to long ago. Went from about 300 bucks to 60 . I bought two. Now lately I have been wanting the model of the Cosma Ray custom corvette. I know if I do ever find one it will be way over what I am willing to pay but one can dream . ?

I have no specific "holy grail" kit, and my want list isn't too big, but this is one I was finally able to find at a decent price recently. 

Despite the release of the Revell '68, the price tag is usually pretty high on this one.  

z68c.JPG

Edited by pack rat

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I still need to find one of these. One of the only kits of 60s subject matter I want.

Need to build a replica of my dad's old 66 Comet Cyclone.

amt-1966-mercury-comet-cyclone-gt_1_7fc206ae2b36acba6df53f264f1327ee.jpg.6eda09288c832ccb236e3d893593195d.jpg

529193687_1979September-004-Cyclone.jpg.e329190fb93a7a9f5500a02867e54995.jpg

Your Dad's Comet looked good. You might have a better chance of finding Revell's kit of a  '66 Mercury Cyclone. They were issued about the same time as the '66 Fairlane and with time and better tooling I think the Revell kit would give you a better finished model.  

My list could be very long if I really thought about it but I don't want to be greedy so :

-the Aurora Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car

-the Italerie Ferrari 250 SWB, 275 NART or a BMW 507

-any of the AMT/MPC C2 Corvettes that I don't have