Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '65 Chevy Stepside (historical build)

@Bill Burmeister: Yeah, I totally agree this will be basic, and I understand that. I'm not trying to put every little detail, but the ones that stand out to me I'm not even sure where they are. And I guess I should mention hoses too.

I basically need to know where the positive and negative battery hook to.

Where at on the engine do the heater hoses connect. I've seen the photos and it looks like the manifold and water pump, but I'm not totally sure.

The radiator hose looks pretty straight forward, but I guess there is a bottom one too.

The distributor looks straight forward, but I know that one wire connect to the coil, correct?

What wires connect to the alternator?

What are the mess of hoses by the brake booster?

There are some random wires running across the back by the firewall that I am unsure of.

And some other details that are on the carburetor, brake fluid reservoir, etc.

All basic stuff to the trained eye, but I'm seriously a car novice. While I don't plan on modeling everything, I do like learning how things work too; thus the reason for asking. Thanks for the summary on the harness as well.

Burt, I see where you're coming from. I've been seeing about finding a good source of factory pix for you, not coming up with much. However, I can give you an excellent source of information and references, Stovebolt.com. It's a site for pre '72 Chevrolet and GMC trucks. Here's a link to the '60-'66 Gallery http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/gallery%2060%2066.html You might also check out House of Woogeroo, who is a moderator on Stovebolt and '60-'66 Chevrolet truck nut. http://houseofwoogeroo.wordpress.com/19601966ctis/

One more site that may help you is Jolly Goodfellows (yes, that's his real name) site, 6066 GMC Truck Guy http://www.6066gmcguy.org/ His site deals pretty much with GMC only, but there are similarities between them and Chevrolet (back them, Chevy and GMC were not the same truck with a different badge).

• 3 weeks later...

Can you guys tell me what kind of oil filter might have been used on this truck in the '80s? If you look at what the kit provides (photo below), I'm not sure that it is correct.

I have some aftermarket filters that look more modern, but only want to use them if it's prototypical.

You'll also notice the big gap between the filter and where it would attach. I have since cut the filter off and will glue it directly without that gap. I'm assuming the kit just doesn't fit well?

null_zps2789382c.jpg

Can you guys tell me what kind of oil filter might have been used on this truck in the '80s? If you look at what the kit provides (photo below), I'm not sure that it is correct.

I have some aftermarket filters that look more modern, but only want to use them if it's prototypical.

You'll also notice the big gap between the filter and where it would attach. I have since cut the filter off and will glue it directly without that gap. I'm assuming the kit just doesn't fit well?

null_zps2789382c.jpg

common "spin-on" oil filters for this would have been Fram(orange), AC Delco(blue), Purolator(white).

good call on cutting the filter off the pan, it will look better glued properly to the oil filter adapter.

Edited by blunc

Thanks, Mike. So is it safe to assume that the kit filter was an older style used in the '60s? I've seen pictures of them still in use, so it makes me wonder if they were just the outside and you replaced the filter inside. Unlike more modern filters where you just replace the whole thing. I'm totally guessing, so please set me straight if this is wrong. It also appears that modern filters have a "beveled" grab area near the top, where as these older ones did not. Again, I assume that any newer filter could fit on an older motor as there was no special modification needed to attach?

Thanks, Mike. So is it safe to assume that the kit filter was an older style used in the '60s? I've seen pictures of them still in use, so it makes me wonder if they were just the outside and you replaced the filter inside. Unlike more modern filters where you just replace the whole thing. I'm totally guessing, so please set me straight if this is wrong. It also appears that modern filters have a "beveled" grab area near the top, where as these older ones did not. Again, I assume that any newer filter could fit on an older motor as there was no special modification needed to attach?

Many early engines didn't even have an oil filter, some just had a screen to catch big chunks.

When they did move to filtering the oil, most had a filter cartridge/cannister system. When "spin-on" filters got to be popular, adapters were marketed to convert most of the common block types. I had a '57 Ford Y-block that had been converted, it was a lot less messy than the cartridge/cannister type.

The oil filter cast on your motor is a little crude but visually "okay", most spin-on filters for the time period you are portraying had fairly straight sides with a slightly convex bottom. I doubt any contest judge would ding you if you painted it the proper color and put the correct brand for that color. How exactingly correct is up to you.

A google image search should give you some examples if you search for chevy engines of the displacement you are duplicating.

There are a couple decent looking quadrajet carbs that can be used for this but I don't know what kit at this time. A Carter or Edelbrock carb will give a closer representation than a Holley will but that is up to you.

On '56-'67 Chevrolet V8s, they used a canister type filter. The housing had a large bolt that ran through the bottom of it into the block. To change the filter, the bolt was taken loose, and the entire canister was removed. Only the filter element and gasket were changed. Chevrolet went to the spin on style in '68 on V8s. There was both a GM adapter as well as several aftermarket adapters to convers the older engines to the newer style spin on. If you want to see the specific canister style filter, the element number is PF141 in AC, or CH200PL in Fram. The housing was generally black, though i have seen both blue and yellow variants that were factory.

Thanks to both of you for such great replies.

Bill, that is great to know for future reference as well. The reason I started questioning this was because of these two photos. Both are Chevy engines of the '60s, yet they use different filters. Any thoughts on why the second engine is not using the standard canister type?

01_zps1117713f.jpg

01_zpsd28bdfd0.jpg

the engine in the second photo could be a newer engine, I see an HEI distributor on it but that is not always a sure sign, the electronic ign distributors will fit most applications.

I changed out the points distributor in my 68 firebird to HEI, never had a problem with ignition nor timing after that.