Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Z-28 Camaro

In general I like it. I, personally, would prefer a 5 –star wheel more the BBS-like wheels. I owned a 68 and 70 ½ Z/28 and enjoyed them immensely. Some points on this car were interesting though compared to those two model years:

• It is a small block, but an LS-7 (427 cubic inch approx.) which would have been a big block COPO in the day instead of 302 ci that came on the 68 and 350 on the 70.
  • Air conditioning optional. The 68 and 70 could not have AC at all because of solid-lifter engines. It wasn’t until 71-72 that the old LT-1 solid lifter was sold with AC and that was rare.
  • Carbon Ceramic brakes. Anybody see a Ferrari, Lambo or other exotic jacked for the wheels and brakes?
  • Manual transmission only. The 68 could have an M21 or M22 4-spedd tranny only. The 70 had an option of a turbo-hydro.

I guess we’ll wait and see what the model manufacturers will do. Brent Barrow made a good point about market for newer cars. But I think we will see a mixture of old and new. But there are a lot of newer cars that likely will never show up in plastic simply because not enough market or variant.

I guess we’ll wait and see what the model manufacturers will do. Brent Barrow made a good point about market for newer cars. But I think we will see a mixture of old and new. But there are a lot of newer cars that likely will never show up in plastic simply because not enough market or variant.

For the time being that may be ture, but whats going to happen when the current baby boomer builders are gone and no longer buying kits of subjects that are hitting the 80 year old mark?, are they just going to go out of business, or maybe realized its time to start tooling up newer subjects more then older stuff

Edited by martinfan5

^"But why wouldn't Revell have access to the same data, is what I'm getting at. Would you know? Did GM deny them for some reason?"^

^"When did they stop getting design info from GM?"^

^"Do they have to pay for it ?"^

The DoAllSer/AMT promos are the exception, not the rule. GM's marketing dept. wants promos of new Vettes and Camaros out there. They used Revell for their promos from 1999 to 2008 (which included not just the usual Corvettes, but other classic GM cars that now make up the bulk of Revell's SnapTite line), then switched to DoAllSer/AMT. GM's really the one footing the bill for these. It's more a case of they want a plastic promo model on the market and Revell and AMT have the connections to get it done. As for why the switch from Revell to DoAllSer/AMT, I can't answer that. Probably a lowest bidder type of thing. Before 99 it was MPC for many years (since early 70's?) through all the mergers and name changes winding up, of course, as AMT/Ertl.

Any full-detail glue kits that Revell or AMT want to make are a different story, they'd have to find a 1:1 and go measure and photograph it, just like it was an old classic. It's possible that they might be allowed some access to design information or to come to the factory and measure a 1:1 on the line, but they'd have to come get it on their own dime and their own time...

Edited by Brett Barrow

For the time being that may be ture, but whats going to happen when the current baby boomer builders are gone and no longer buying kits of subjects that are hitting the 80 year old mark?, are they just going to go out of business, or maybe realized its time to start tooling up newer subjects more then older stuff

Right, and even now, I can't imagine there is much interest in the '20s-50s subjects amongst modelers my age (early 40s) and younger...alas, there aren't many modelers my age and younger compared to the Baby Boomers. I'd love to see a lot more subjects of the current century tooled up..

Seems very short-sighted for model companies to focus too much on the older subjects, IMO.

Edited by Rob Hall

Right, and even now, I can't imagine there is much interest in the '20s-50s subjects amongst modelers my age (early 40s) and younger...alas, there aren't many modelers my age and younger compared to the Baby Boomers. I'd love to see a lot more subjects of the current century tooled up..

Seems very short-sighted for model companies to focus too much on the older subjects, IMO.

Same here, and I am in my 30s, I have nothing against those subjects, but hello, its 2013.

I will continue to support the Japanese model companys more then I will Revell/AMT , why , because they tool up subjects that are either current, or within the last decade.

Sure, but why spend money on kits of current cars when they don't sell very well now, and they probabaly will never be classics 20 years from now? if they turn into desirable classics then, make a kit then. Witness Revell's all-new Fox Mustang which I'm sure will spawn several variations after the first '91 5.0 LX notch-back hits the shelves in a couple months. They'll have a winner on their hands with that kit, I'm sure.

You dance with who brung you, as we say where I grew up. Make today's models for those who are buying models today, and we'll cross that bridge when get there.

When folks say that they should make more current cars, this is how it comes across to me, as someone who has spent the past decade in the model business -

"Hey Revell and AMT - remember that time you almost went out of business, and that other time you almost went out of business, and that other, other time you almost went out of business? We want you to go back to making he same decisions the way you were that time you almost went out of business and make models like the ones that you made that time you almost went out of business"

I'm 35, and I have nearly 0 interest in any American road-going car from later than 1971. My main focus is in 50's and 60's rods, customs, and gassers, with some interest in factory-stock cars of that era as well.

There's a declining interest in current cars among younger people, and there is a corresponding decline in model kits of current cars to go along with it. But period hot rods, customs, gassers, rat-rods, suede-rods, what-ever you want to call them are generating much more interest with folks my age and younger. If we're going to get younger folks interested in model cars, we first have to get them interested in cars, then give them models of the cars they are interested in.

But why would anybody under 40 be interested in Corvettes or Camaros? When's the last time folks under 40 could afford to buy the real deals? It's the so-called AARP crowd that I see having more interest in Vettes and Camaros nowadays, Vettes especially...

Edited by Brett Barrow

I'm 35, and I have nearly 0 interest in any American road-going car from later than 1971. My main focus is in 50's and 60's rods, customs, and gassers, with some interest in factory-stock cars of that era as well.

I doubt if your view is the norm... I would suspect most car enthusiasts your age would be interested in many cars of the last 20 years..cars they grew up around, not their grandpa's cars....certainly the car enthusiasts I know in real life my age and younger are interested in cars of the modern era. Not everyone is stuck in the past or has their head in the sand.

Edited by Rob Hall

The DoAllSer/AMT promos are the exception, not the rule. GM's marketing dept. wants promos of new Vettes and Camaros out there. They used Revell for their promos from 1999 to 2008 (which included not just the usual Corvettes, but other classic GM cars that now make up the bulk of Revell's SnapTite line), then switched to DoAllSer/AMT. GM's really the one footing the bill for these. It's more a case of they want a plastic promo model on the market and Revell and AMT have the connections to get it done. As for why the switch from Revell to DoAllSer/AMT, I can't answer that. Probably a lowest bidder type of thing. Before 99 it was MPC for many years (since early 70's?) through all the mergers and name changes winding up, of course, as AMT/Ertl.

Any full-detail glue kits that Revell or AMT want to make are a different story, they'd have to find a 1:1 and go measure and photograph it, just like it was an old classic. It's possible that they might be allowed some access to design information or to come to the factory and measure a 1:1 on the line, but they'd have to come get it on their own dime and their own time...

Ah, alright then.

That explains it. A number of things actually, so thank you. B)

Same here, and I am in my 30s, I have nothing against those subjects, but hello, its 2013.

I will continue to support the Japanese model companys more then I will Revell/AMT , why , because they tool up subjects that are either current, or within the last decade.

I don't disagree with you. I brought this up to Revell the last time I met them. I suggested models such as newer BMW sedans, new Impala SS, modern pickup trucks (especially HD types), Cadillac CTS-V (including wagon and Crossover), modern SUV/COV's.

They won't NOT consider them, but only have so much R&D and tooling dollars in any year. And there is that 50,000 kits to sell to break even. The die cast market and actual buyer demographics contribute to final decisions. Along with those of us who favor selected genres.

A lot of people were stroked by the recent 50 Olds and 57 Ford. None of those two "float my boat" and I passed on them. I still feel good about the fact that a segment of the market had a need fulfilled with quality product. Meanwhile, I'm still hoping for 1/24-5 Ferrari FF, modern BMW M5, Modern BMW M3, Porsche Cayenne, Maserati Quatroporte, etc. And I also build older cars, as well.

Revell is only around 11 miles from my home. Almost in the back yard. At the recent Ferrari Expo held in Hinsdale Illinois there was a bunch of modern model cars, some racing and some street (mainly Ferraris). A Revell leader was there and I and a couple of others brought up, in our opinion, the "crying need" for these types of cars, even if some of them are curbside.

Fujimi and Aoshima do a large majority of their 1/24 scale models as curbside, or semi-curside (engine inserts). Here is what I did to a curbside Fujimi M5 about 20 years ago:

My92BMWM5.jpg

A lot modern engines are hidden by those ubiquitous plastic covers to hide all the electronics. Admitedly, I like detailing, but am currently building a Fujimi Fiat Abart 695 Ferrari Tributo. Converting it to US spec and detailing the interior is still a lot of fun.

I just suggest we continue to let our voices be heard and hope that some of the newer models we would like to see come to fruition. Don't lose faith!

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Brett, I mean no disrespect to you so dont take it that way ;) but you are coming off like you are speaking for our age group (gen x) unless you have some hard fast proof, I am calling BS, just because a small percentage feels that way, does not mean everyone does, I know I sure as hell dont feel that way. Its this one sided view on things that is so upsetting, and the reply of , well I thats how I feel and I am speaking for everyone else

Revell can keep their head in the sand and ignoring all the under the age of 50 builders, and my hobby money will continue to go to Japan, I am not asking for every kit to be of something current, but least a few current things(80's to now) would nice, and I don't mean reissue stuff either, I would be ok with those to at this point .

Gerry, well least they are open to newer subjects, and believe you me, I do understand it all cost money, and they are going to spend the money on subjects that will return a profit for them, but one day, and I think it will be in the next 20 years or so that their cash cow of buyers is going to run dry, and then what?

Edited by martinfan5

I doubt if your view is the norm... I would suspect most car enthusiasts your age would be interested in many cars of the last 20 years..cars they grew up around, not their grandpa's cars....certainly the car enthusiasts I know in real life my age and younger are interested in cars of the modern era. Not everyone is stuck in the past or has their head in the sand.

Is my view the norm? No it's not, and I know that. But also know that selling models is my full-time job and that I've been employed in the business in some way, shape, or form since 2001. I've seen some ups and downs in this business over that time.

I've also seen grown men lined up outside waiting for us to open so they could buy those 50 Olds, 57 Fords, 57 Chevy Black Widows, 32 Ford 5-windows and Sedans, Hudson Hornets, 55 Chryslers, reissued Double Dragsters and Double T's, Avantis, Gremlins, etc... These are what's selling now. The industry is riding a major upswing thanks to kits like these. You seem to say that the companies need to go back to making those same bad decisions that nearly put them out of business a few years ago.

Brett, I mean no disrespect to you so dont take it that way ;) but you are coming off like you are speaking for our age group (gen x) unless you have some hard fast proof, I am calling BS, just because a small percentage feels that way, does not mean everyone does, I know I sure as hell dont feel that way. Its this one sided view on things that is so upsetting, and the reply of , well I thats how I feel and I am speaking for everyone else

Revell can keep their head in the sand and ignoring all the under the age of 50 builders, and my hobby money will continue to go to Japan, I am not asking for every kit to be of something current, but least a few current things(80's to now) would nice, and I don't mean reissue stuff either, I would be ok with those to at this point .

Gerry, well least they are open to newer subjects, and believe you me, I do understand it all cost money, and they are going to spend the money on subjects that will return a profit for them, but one day, and I think it will be in the next 20 years or so that their cash cow of buyers is going to run dry, and then what?

I never meant to imply that I was speaking on behalf of an entire generation, I was just stating that I am under 40 and these are the cars and models I'm into. What I don't get is this insistence every time a thread like this starts is that it's somehow Revell's job to make these models. You'll say "I'll just take my money to Japan and buy Fujimi kits". Well great, if your wants and needs are being served well by Fujimi and the Japanese companies, by all means, buy Japanese kits. Why would Revell bother investing in subjects that are already being well served on the hobby market? Let them have it and worry about those who aren't being served. There seems to be this idea that the hobby companies should all be slugging it out with each other to get your money - and by "your" I mean whoever reads this response, not you personally. You say "Hey Revell, make this model!" and then when they don't make that model you think they're not listening. But they listen. They listen and they make business decisions. They're not on a mission to make a model of every car that ever existed, they're on a mission to make a profit. They're riding a pretty good hot streak, they've been making some pretty good choices lately. You want hard and fast proof, I can give you that. I can see what's sold well and what hasn't sold well over a given time frame. I have that ability. I know off the top of my head that the best selling model car since the start of 2012 has been Revell's 50 Olds. I also know that the poorest selling all new tool kit introduced within that same time frame is the Revell 2012 Camaro. Now that could be because of the Concept snap kit and AMT promo kit already being on the market - see what I mean about worrying about a market already well served?

I never meant to imply that I was speaking on behalf of an entire generation, I was just stating that I am under 40 and these are the cars and models I'm into. What I don't get is this insistence every time a thread like this starts is that it's somehow Revell's job to make these models. You'll say "I'll just take my money to Japan and buy Fujimi kits". Well great, if your wants and needs are being served well by Fujimi and the Japanese companies, by all means, buy Japanese kits. Why would Revell bother investing in subjects that are already being well served on the hobby market? Let them have it and worry about those who aren't being served. There seems to be this idea that the hobby companies should all be slugging it out with each other to get your money - and by "your" I mean whoever reads this response, not you personally. You say "Hey Revell, make this model!" and then when they don't make that model you think they're not listening. But they listen. They listen and they make business decisions. They're not on a mission to make a model of every car that ever existed, they're on a mission to make a profit. They're riding a pretty good hot streak, they've been making some pretty good choices lately. You want hard and fast proof, I can give you that. I can see what's sold well and what hasn't sold well over a given time frame. I have that ability. I know off the top of my head that the best selling model car since the start of 2012 has been Revell's 50 Olds. I also know that the poorest selling all new tool kit introduced within that same time frame is the Revell 2012 Camaro. Now that could be because of the Concept snap kit and AMT promo kit already being on the market - see what I mean about worrying about a market already well served?

Brett, I was not saying I want to see Revell/AMT make the same kits that Tamiya/Fujimi/Aoshima are making, and of course they are not going to be competing with each other, but I am still an Amercian builder, and would rather support American model companys with my hobby money, so yes I would like to see at least a few more new tools that are not from the 40/50 years ago. I am not saying I want to see them go current tooling all the way, just a couple every year would be nice, and I am talking about subjects that have been seen in plastic before. I dont think that is to much to ask for really, I dont think I am being unreasonable in wanting it.

Again, I understand Revell/AMT has to produce stuff that is going to sell, I am not a complete moron , but I also know that a business alienates a percentage of its customers, those customer may not come back when they are needed, or will be catered too.

I think as for a younger builder, we get the your number one finger, sure, I spend money on this hobby, but because I don't carry an AARP card, I don't count.

And I am sure there are alot of builders that are in my age range that fill that way too, and I sure there a lot, just like you that dont feel the same way.

Brett, I was not saying I want to see Revell/AMT make the same kits that Tamiya/Fujimi/Aoshima are making, and of course they are not going to be competing with each other, but I am still an Amercian builder, and would rather support American model companys with my hobby money, so yes I would like to see at least a few more new tools that are not from the 40/50 years ago. I am not saying I want to see them go current tooling all the way, just a couple every year would be nice, and I am talking about subjects that have been seen in plastic before. I dont think that is to much to ask for really, I dont think I am being unreasonable in wanting it.

Again, I understand Revell/AMT has to produce stuff that is going to sell, I am not a complete moron , but I also know that a business alienates a percentage of its customers, those customer may not come back when they are needed, or will be catered too.

I think as for a younger builder, we get the your number one finger, sure, I spend money on this hobby, but because I don't carry an AARP card, I don't count.

And I am sure there are alot of builders that are in my age range that fill that way too, and I sure there a lot, just like you that dont feel the same way.

I read your comments and this is all I see going through my head -

revell-honda-civic-hatchback-tuner.jpgrevell-1999-mitsubishi-eclipse-tuner.jpgAcuraIntegraTypeR.jpg

96569017-260x260-0-0_Ertl+Veilside+ToyotAMT38426.JPGamt31980.jpg10051329.jpg

I read your comments and this is all I see going through my head -

Not sure if you are being a smart ass or not.

Not really what I was talking about, but that is ok, I think its time to move on, thanks for playing though ;) now back to the topic at hand

You want hard and fast proof, I can give you that. I can see what's sold well and what hasn't sold well over a given time frame. I have that ability. I know off the top of my head that the best selling model car since the start of 2012 has been Revell's 50 Olds. I also know that the poorest selling all new tool kit introduced within that same time frame is the Revell 2012 Camaro.

Would you, could you post that list, pretty please? :) And is this wholesale or retail?

Not sure if you are being a smart ass or not.

Not really what I was talking about, but that is ok, I think its time to move on, thanks for playing though ;) now back to the topic at hand

That's Revell and AMT catering to younger modelers with kits of current subjects at that time and it nearly put both companies out of business. That's the point I've been trying to make all along.

Please feel free to tell me some specific subjects you think they should do and I'll be sure to pass it along to them. What would the non-AARP crowd like to see?

That's Revell and AMT catering to younger modelers with kits of current subjects at that time and it nearly put both companies out of business. That's the point I've been trying to make all along.

Please feel free to tell me some specific subjects you think they should do and I'll be sure to pass it along to them. What would the non-AARP crowd like to see?

Well, lets be honest here for a second, that was Revell/AMT trying to capitalize on the turner subject to go along with the Fast and the furious movies, but they were a little late to draw on that one. And the kits, more so the AMT kits were less then stellar kits, so there are more then a few reasons why they did not do well.

Now as for the Revell kits, the Honda kits, and the Acura RSX kits are bringing double what they sold for new on Ebay, they are still in demand.

I will agree that if Revell/AMT tried to cater to the turner guys again, it would be just as bad the first time around, I think if those kits came out a year or two earlier, they might of done a little bit better, but thats just a guess, and I could be wrong

Those were goofy modified kits targeting kids and young adults...in the wrong scale also.

I'd love to see kits of modern performance cars that would appeal to a broad range of adults such as the Cadillac CTS-v, '11+ Dodge Charger R/T and SRT8 (throw in a police version for that niche), '11+ Chrysler 300, variations on existing kits like a '13-14 Mustang GT, '12 Mustang Boss 302, 2010-2013 Camaro SS convertible, '14 Camaro Z-28, '14 Chevy SS (in street and NASCAR forms), '13 Ford Focus ST...a couple obivous ones I assume Revell will do is the new Corvette and Viper. Other modern subjects that could appeal to a broad spectrum of builders would be late model pickups like the Ford Raptor, Ram, Chevy Silverado.

I can't be the only adult builder interested in subjects of modern cars....a number of modern subject kits would balance out Revell's line with the older subjects.

Not to mention many possibilities in 1/24th of import subjects, though RoG would probably have to be involved...there is a distinct lack of kits of modern mainstream Audis, BMWs, Benzes...

Edited by Rob Hall