Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1962 Impala SS

jjsipes

I just picked up this kit as well as the 62 "Special Edition". I have to say that they are, so far, fantastic kits. Great assortment of parts and the molds look great. Can't say I see any flash (and wouldn't expect too). I'll be building both side-by-side; one for me, and one as a replica for my dad of a car he used to have.

I will say it's disappointing that the SS is missing the appropriate SS decals for the badges. I got the SS version just for the front bucket seats and the SS markings so now I have to go out and get either the Keith Marks SS decal set or a photo etch set just for those parts.

That issue aside, I have to say the thing that irks me the most is the spaces in the firewall for the hood hinges go right through the heater box and generally are placed terribly on both sides.

I'll end up filling them in and working the hinges differently or just omitting them altogether so the hood can be opened any closed and the under-hood area looks accurate, but I'm disappointed that I have to in the first place.

I just picked up this kit as well as the 62 "Special Edition". I have to say that they are, so far, fantastic kits. Great assortment of parts and the molds look great. Can't say I see any flash (and wouldn't expect too). I'll be building both side-by-side; one for me, and one as a replica for my dad of a car he used to have.

I will say it's disappointing that the SS is missing the appropriate SS decals for the badges. I got the SS version just for the front bucket seats and the SS markings so now I have to go out and get either the Keith Marks SS decal set or a photo etch set just for those parts.

That issue aside, I have to say the thing that irks me the most is the spaces in the firewall for the hood hinges go right through the heater box and generally are placed terribly on both sides.

I'll end up filling them in and working the hinges differently or just omitting them altogether so the hood can be opened any closed and the under-hood area looks accurate, but I'm disappointed that I have to in the first place.

I can't believe Revell still has not fixed the SS decal error. How hard could it be to redo the decal sheet? I was going to pick up another one but I will wait until they fix the SS decal error.

I remember on the bench-seat car, there was a problem with the lettering on the tail-panel- it was either missing or done incorrectly. Is there a cure for the problem?

Sounds like a very nice kit otherwise. I would like to see Revell correct that most, as that seems to be the biggest fly in the ointment.

Charlie Larkin

On 7/14/2012 at 4:50 PM, Ryan S. said:

On 7/15/2012 at 5:57 PM, carrucha said:

I can't believe Revell still has not fixed the SS decal error. How hard could it be to redo the decal sheet? I was going to pick up another one but I will wait until they fix the SS decal error.

It may not be an error at all, but a calculated decision on Revell's part. They may have figured most people would buy the kit anyway, and either do what Ryan plans to do or live without the SS emblems. Either way, they buy the kit. Of course, some people may chose not to buy the kit at all, knowing it lacks the SS emblem entirely, but again, maybe Revell knows something we don't.

Edited by Casey

Whats this about the ft bumper? someone please explain.

If I understand correctly, the CA Wheels version includes bumpers with bumper guards, while the earlier "Special Edition" '62 Impala SS kit's bumpers do not have the bumper guards.

• 1 year later...

So, this is probably going to be my next build. I'm planning on painting it a white and blue.
Here is the best part:

post-12565-0-37295700-1382044586_thumb.j

post-12565-0-22692100-1382044755_thumb.j

post-12565-0-16416900-1382044889_thumb.j

post-12565-0-69328900-1382044934_thumb.j

post-12565-0-20037800-1382045027_thumb.j

post-12565-0-22474700-1382045092_thumb.j

post-12565-0-72575200-1382045128_thumb.j

I can't wait to get started!

Y'all should see it soon in the Work In Progress Part of the Forum

Edited by Newbs99

• 2 weeks later...

Why was this car done AGAIN? AMT already did versions of the Impala in 1962 in hardtop and convertible forms, and later issued SS versions of both bodies. Why not do something new like a '62 Starfire, Grand Prix, Wildcat, XL, or Monterey S-55? Or, do some models from the same era that were never done: '63 Grand Prix, '63 Wildcat, '64 Starfire, '64 Catalina 2+2, '65 Starfire, '66 Starfire?

Why was this car done AGAIN? AMT already did versions of the Impala in 1962 in hardtop and convertible forms, and later issued SS versions of both bodies. Why not do something new like a '62 Starfire, Grand Prix, Wildcat, XL, or Monterey S-55? Or, do some models from the same era that were never done: '63 Grand Prix, '63 Wildcat, '64 Starfire, '64 Catalina 2+2, '65 Starfire, '66 Starfire?

Well, the AMT hardtop hadn't been reissued since '62...an opportunity for Revell. AMT does have the modern tooled convertible. And I'm sure the data shows that Chevys always outsell other brands.

Well, the AMT hardtop hadn't been reissued since '62...an opportunity for Revell. AMT does have the modern tooled convertible. And I'm sure the data shows that Chevys always outsell other brands.

AMT did a modem tool 1962 Bel Air and convertible - based on the same kit. They were state of the art in the 90s and are still great kits. The Revell is an Impala - and improves on the AMT kit - nice, crisp molding, better dog dish caps, better engine detail - an even better kit than AMT's.

Why? Because the 1:1 cars are immensely popular. They will sell more to the general public than other cars of the era. Plain and simple.