Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you display your models?

I've had glass shelves made locally. We have two cabinets in our wall unit in our den that had lights in the top but solid wood shelves. I went to the local glass shop and paid something like $5 a shelf to have them cut in glass.

That is exactly the same price at IKEA, $5 a shelf. All the edges are completely smooth and they come with the little pins to mount them. I have had shelves made locally in the past and they charged extra for sanding edges smooth and still they weren't completely smooth. Just a caution.

Geez, some of you guys could've helped Okey re-leverage Jo-Han on Sho Case sales alone! What I like about them is the stacking fator. I think next set of Billy bookcases I buy, I'll leave the intermediate shelved out and just start stacking. I figure I can easily fit 40-50 builds into one of those cases without trying too hard. Perhaps more.

Charlie Larkin

i dabble in woodworking as well so i made up these shelves from 1x6. they're up out of the way and safe from damage. however, the dust bunnies still find their way up there. these run around 3 walls of the living room and 2 walls of the dining room.

post-11532-0-30603400-1364702446_thumb.j

post-11532-0-42870900-1364702465_thumb.j

post-11532-0-63583000-1364702557_thumb.j

post-11532-0-97941800-1364702605_thumb.j

i dabble in woodworking as well so i made up these shelves from 1x6. they're up out of the way and safe from damage. however, the dust bunnies still find their way up there. these run around 3 walls of the living room and 2 walls of the dining room.

When I was maybe six years old, my older cousins Dickie and Donny shared a room that had shelves like yours all the way around! And they were full of model cars. I was instantly enthralled. They even gave me one to take home. I probably got hooked on model cars on that day.

I was using this Nike Eyewear display until a few hours ago. Now it's on its way to a new home. I found it next to the local hospital maintenance dept. a few years back. A phone call confirmed that I could take it. But it was just too big, and I already had a wood & glass curio cabinet. It was nice, the shelves were illuminated.

NIKEDISPLAYSTAND01.jpg?t=1364704322

Edited by Jon Cole