Model Cars Magazine Forum

white western star ext.hood

Help! I can stop building this, a small idea has turned into a whole new project. It gonna be worth it though. Every thing you see is scratch built except the cable shives. Enjoy and thanks for looking......john

Waht do you mean, you need help? You're doing fine! Thsi is looking better every time you post it! I guess you're like a sculptor who's chipping away at his piece and deciding what it's going to look like as he goes along... That is valid, isn't it? :) Keep going!

Thanks for all the great comments. Started on the body this morning and this is what I have so far. Just making it up as I go. What I'm after is a towing and winch machine, not a full wrecker cause I didn't build a boom. Thanks.......Q!

sad to say the sleeper isn't going to happen. BUT , went to the hobby shop today to get more supplies,( and take my wife garage saleing, just happened to end up near the shop , I think she was on to me ) anyway back to work and I will post new pics in the morning........thanks john

Here is the latest update on this Project. As everyone has seen this truck has taken turns from road tractor to heavy hauler to winch truck to now a full wrecker. I have added a extendable boom and a side pull unit loosely based on a SP 850. I've got a ways to go yet. More winches,D-rings ect. Hope you like were this is going. As always comments and suggestions are more than welcome! ........john

still have a lot of work to do . all the large pins sticking out will be gone after painting. i'll need to dis-assemble everything to really get good coverage and work in different color. white and alcad 2.stay tuned, took some more reference photos today at the shop so there may be more changes yet to come..thanks for the positive feed back......john

thanks for the high marks, but I need to stop and finish it quickly. got a show the first of sept. I would like to take it to. regardless finished or not , cant short cut now. it may go as a work in progress.

still have a lot of work to do . all the large pins sticking out will be gone after painting. i'll need to dis-assemble everything to really get good coverage and work in different color. white and alcad 2.stay tuned, took some more reference photos today at the shop so there may be more changes yet to come..thanks for the positive feed back......john

The model certainly is an impressive build so far, the hood stretch is convincing enough to be a factory option, flawless paint & stripes.

Why not use ally tube for the hydraulic rams? it will polish out much better & you wont have to be concerned with paint thickness build up & loss of tolerance. Just curious why you limit yourself to only using styrene for scratch building when there are better material alternatives.

Ap40

I added 1/2 inch to the hood. didn't want to get to carried away, if you can believe that after the lonestar build. and it never dawned on me about using alum. tubeing on the cylinders. I thought of the build up of paint and the tolerences and figured I would cross that bridge when I got to it. as far as using other materials? well I have been just winging this whole project. if it looked good and fit ,I just ran with it. and last but not least. give FOUNDATIONSEDGE a huge welcome. found him floating around another fourm an boys let me tell you, he's got talent. hope to see some of his work in this neck of the woods.........thanks john

Got a little bit done,but not as much as I would have liked.spent most of the weekend in the real thing.(had another rollover on i69) so here it is.reworked the rear down riggers,added some body trim and built the side winch.the cable will run under,through the shive wheel and up to the boom. Have a look.......thanks john

• 2 months later...