Model Cars Magazine Forum

87 turbo cutty

Phil: I love the turbo cutlass and I've often thought of a turbo build myself. I once owned several turbo'd cars: a Subaru STI modified with front mount intercooler, fuel and intake upgrades to put out 370hp at the wheels (awd), and a Mazda Speed3 with no mods and a six speed with 265hp and enough torque steer to cause carpel tunnel!

I would, however take the time to research the recommendation here and change the turbo plumbing as I've spent quite a bit of time as an NMRA Mustang fan and have seen both single and twin turbos routed from the units to a cooler inside the car and back out to the intake. The path should go exhaust to turbo (there also needs to be a controllable wastegate to control pressure, either pre or post turbo) with the spent exhaust gases out (most modern turbos exit near the front wheelwell). The exhaust gases turn the rotor vanes on one side of the turbo while an intake operates off the other set of separate vanes on the turbo, routes the air to the cool box, and then to the intake.

I wouldn't want to see you miss a show, but I'd hate to see you lose a competition because of accuracy. Ted's Marketing Market Place sells a twin turbo setup for 37.00. Here is a pic (hope it turns out) of the unit mounted on an engine. You can see the exhaust from both sides snaking back to the turbos, the blow-off (or waste gate) valve sticking to the sides of the unit. Hopefully age hasn't ruined my memory, but the front of each turbo is where you would connect your tubing to the intercooler and then to the intake. The two smaller pipes from the turbos pointing down combine to form the exhaust plumbing.

In your case, (I believe your Cutty is a V-6), all you'd need is to find a pair of 6 cyl headers, mount them on their opposite sides and backwards so that it resembles the attached picture, then fashion a curved tubing piece from the passenger side to the meet the driver's side header and turbo exhaust side connection. It's up to you if you want to design a wastegate. Then, the tubing from the front of the turbo (clocked however you need) would lead back to the cooler and return to the intake.

I hope this helps, whether you decide to use it now or in future builds. Turbos are fun, extra work, and definitely a different step from the average blower or NOS. Good luck and great build!

post-12210-0-59881200-1398701714_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Not to knock ur build but the front side of the turbo is where pull ur fresh air from this is the compressor side. From there the air comes out of the compressor housing which would be where ur pipe hooks to. From that hook up it goes to the intercooler and then from the intercooler to thenl throttle body. The turbine bolts to the manifold then the pipe hook up is where ur exhaust would come out