Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Nah, in my early '40s.

As far as reruns, I don't watch a lot of tv and generally only watch shows that are current or recent...I can't really get into old shows from before my lifetime, esp. those in black & white. There are a few '60s shows I've seen that I like, though..Star Trek, The Prisoner, Danger Man, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits (and some of those are B&W)..

As far what irked me today--the haboob that is hitting now...yuck..wind, dust, sand..

Rob, I watched so much tv with my dad and many was old shows. I loved the Rifleman when I was a kid and we got a color tv when I was 4 in 69. My dad also was 49 when I was born and growing up spending time with him was watching his shows. Glad I did it I lost him at 18...

I liked Arizona when I visited in 98 but I would not like the dust storms and with my car I am a neat freak about everything...

Besides MeTV, we have TVLand and a new one, AntennaTV.

Love the MeTV goodies like Adam-12, Dragnet, Kojack, Rockford Files, Cannon, Peter Gunn, Route 66, The Saint, Mod Squad, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, Get Smart, Welcome Back Kotter, WKRP, and of course, Columbo.

AntennaTV airs the Jack Benny Show and the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, among many others like I Dream of Jeannie :wub: , McHale's Navy, Father Knows Best, Mister Ed, the classic Green Acres, Bewitched :wub: , Sanford L Son, Maude, It Takes a Thief, Gidget, and the Flying Nun.

The thing that's great about the old shows is that it's refreshing to see really FUNNY humor that did not require constant f-bombs and references to sex & genitalia to be funny. .

Dragnet wasn't a Quinn Martin production, it was produced by Jack Webb's own production company, Mk. VII Limited. ;)

Mk. VII also did Adam 12 and Emergency, I think.

Correct.

The sad thing was that at his death in 1982, Jack Webb was actually getting ready to do a new 1980s Dragnet with Kent McCord (of Adam-12.) I think that would've been a great show.

I remember the very short-lived one-hour Dragnet in the late 1990s or about 2000 with Ed O'Neill. It was good, but not the same. I would've liked to have seen them try to make their stories work in the same 30-minute show. That, I think, aside from solid writing and acting, is what made Dragnet work well.

Charlie Larkin

The thing that's great about the old shows is that it's refreshing to see really FUNNY humor that did not require constant f-bombs and references to sex & genitalia to be funny. .

No kidding. I'm no prude- not by a long-shot, but I really don't find most modern "comedy" funny and none of my friends can really understand why.

Simple- it's crude, relies too much on gimmickry, and isn't all that intelligent.

Hogan's Heroes, MASH, Bosom Buddies (which I grew up watching,) and shows like that- are funny.

On the subject of 1980s-early 90s comedy, Hub Network runs all kinds of good stuff, too, like Family Ties and Step by Step- the programs I liked when I was in roughly 3rd grade to high school and beyond. Comedy that was funny and I can watch with my friend's 10-year-old and not turn red-faced with awkward questions.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Love the MeTV goodies like Adam-12, Dragnet, Kojack, Rockford Files, Cannon, Peter Gunn, Route 66, The Saint, Mod Squad, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, Get Smart, Welcome Back Kotter, WKRP, and of course, Columbo.

AntennaTV airs the Jack Benny Show and the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, among many others like I Dream of Jeannie :wub: , McHale's Navy, Father Knows Best, Mister Ed, the classic Green Acres, Bewitched :wub: , Sanford L Son, Maude, It Takes a Thief, Gidget, and the Flying Nun.

No kidding. I'm no prude- not by a long-shot, but I really don't find most modern "comedy" funny and none of my friends can really understand why.

Simple- it's crude, relies too much on gimmickry, and isn't all that intelligent.

Hogan's Heroes, MASH, Bosom Buddies (which I grew up watching,) and shows like that- are funny.

On the subject of 1980s-early 90s comedy, Hub Network runs all kinds of good stuff, too, like Family Ties and Step by Step- the programs I liked when I was in roughly 3rd grade to high school and beyond. Comedy that was funny and I can watch with my friend's 10-year-old and not turn red-faced with awkward questions.

Charlie Larkin

You guys are right on the money!

Cannon is a show that brings back memories I watched with my Dad and Kojack also..

When I was a kid in the 1965-66 time frame I had a black and white TV on a cart that my grandparents bought for my sister and I. It would get rolled into my room on Friday evening and I'd lay in bed and watch the Friday evening line up. If my foggy memory is working, it included Bewitched, Hogans Heros and Gilligans Island.

Then we moved to Turkey for 1966-68. There was no TV there at all. We had Armed Forces Radio and they played all the old radio shows like Dragnet, Amos and Andy and Our Miss Brooks. So I did get some culture from before my time. Otherwise, we read books. The American library got used very well. I read the entire Henry Huggins series and a few more series, one was car related and had a kid named Woody. I'm sure someone will ID that series.

We did live in the USA during 1968-69. We only had that same Black and white portable TV, but I ran home every day to watch Speed Racer, and I remember watching Hawaii 5-0.

Back out of the country from 1969-72, Germany this time. We did have one cable channel that played American shows, American Forces Network, or AFN for short. They played last years shows, only a small selection since it was one channel. Then they had 10 o clock news, and a movie. Once the movie was finished, they'd play the national anthem, then sign off for the evening. That same block of shows would play during the day the next day for the soldiers who worked second shift.

Since we had very limited shows, we would venture into German TV, where we could watch shows like Nanny and the Professor, Partridge Family and Brady Bunch in German. We didn't know everything that went on, but could follow the basic story line. When we got back to the US it seemed strange watching those characters speak English! Somehow Laurie Partridge was hotter speaking German!

Once back in the US in 1972, it was TV heaven. We actually would watch a local NY channel that had the same line up of older shows every evening, since we liked those shows and hadn't seen the series before. Nothing like memories!

Edited by Tom Geiger

We did live in the USA during 1968-69. We only had that same Black and white portable TV, but I ran home every day to watch Speed Racer, and I remember watching Hawaii 5-0.

Ahhh Speed Racer! There was a tug-of-war between watching that when we got home from school, or Dark Shadows!

Remember that wacky soap opera?? :D

Ahhh Speed Racer! There was a tug-of-war between watching that when we got home from school, or Dark Shadows!

Remember that wacky soap opera?? :D

When I was a kid, I remember that if you were a guy and you admitted you watched Dark Shadows, well... let's say that was looked upon a bit suspiciously... :lol:

When I was a kid, I remember that if you were a guy and you admitted you watched Dark Shadows, well... let's say that was looked upon a bit suspiciously... :lol:

Well, after the first couple or three seasons that show was on, my Mom made me quit watching it. She said I was getting "bad dreams" and she thought it was coming from that show. No matter...........we'd just go and watch it over at some other kids place!

Don't remember the "bad connotation" as a kid given to guys watching that show, although it kinda makes sense as it WAS a soap opera! :lol:

My irk today is my 2 cats. My house is about 70 % tile and the rest carpet. Why the heck when they barf ( cats do barf quite a bit as they get older ) do they do it on the carpet or furniture 90 % on the time ? Get out the Spot Shot and the carpet cleaner. : (

Thanks. I do have some of that in my cabinet along with 4 other ones. It's just it is so much simpler if they do it on the tile. : )

Yes..I have the same issue w/ the dogs..if they barf, it's on a rug or the sofa rather than the tile or hardwood.

A flat tire in the middle of nowhere just after midnight, and then the jack broke.

Call AAA

The spare tire I had was too worn for the driver's liking, so I got towed to my friend's house (where I'm typing this now) and I'll have tato change it in the morning and limp it home.

Making matters better- I'll need two new fronts (which I knew) in addition to inner/outer tie-rod ends on the passenger side and an alignment.

Yay.

Charlie Larkin

Wouldn't it be easier to just get rid of the cat?

I would take a cat any day over a dog. Dogs are noisy, smelly, lick all the time. Our cats, down to one now, and he is ancient, 20 years old now, are like kids to us.

Edited by midnightprowler

Wouldn't it be easier to just get rid of the cat?

I dunno Harry. A bit too logical for most folks.

My dog Ted is now 14 and we're watching his decline. He has problems jumping onto the couch and 'misses' sometimes when he tries. Then he settles for sleeping on the floor. Sometimes I'll help him get up. Fortunate for us the only carpet in our whole house is living and dining room, which are gated off so he has no access. He does manage to puke behind furniture, and when spiteful will leave presents. But he still has enough life left in him to enjoy his life. He jumped into the pool twice yesterday.