Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988ish Paystar 5000 (small update 10-4-15)

• 2 weeks later...

once again, very little updates. i used alclad for the first time, im not totally pleased but it works for now.....next time will be better! my headache rack didnt come out as planned either, i used testors metalizer and it looked good until i cleared it, next time i will use alclad aluminum. for now i will be scratching a headache rack, any suggestions on where to start? well, heres what i have....

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

dont know why its like this, pics usually show up on the page, any help?

Edited by guitarsam326

Looking sweet Sam .What pressure are you set at for spraying Alclad ?  It should be around 12 -15 psi . I have found that if you spray it upwards to the part it works great . So far as I know ( Im no expert) There is no clear coat that does not change the shine of Alclad you just have to leave it bare and try not to touch it to much or it will start to come off . You can buff it some but I never bother . I hope this helps you Sam . I have not ever used Testors metalizer but im sure it is the same dulling effect when you clear coat .

my headache rack didnt come out as planned either, i used testors metalizer and it looked good until i cleared it, next time i will use alclad aluminum. for now i will be scratching a headache rack, any suggestions on where to start?

What style of rack did you want to go with? 

The progress on the truck looks great. Your driver side door panel is a little off shape with the door. Also, I don't know how much clearance you have in your door jambs, but if you wrap the door panel in thin styrene(.010, .020) and paint it orange

Sean- thanks man, its been a fun project, the only real complaint i have with the kit itself (besides the engine) is the front fender assembly. I cant wait to see some more of your work as well!

Brian- i havent figured out the loading problem, its probably somethin im doin wrong!

ok, thanks to the help of a few of you wonderful and persistent people, i got the posting problem fixed. heres a few pics of what im working on now, my headache rack. i was worried about dimensions, but i added a little more material here and there so she's looking decent now. these photos are before i added on, ill update some more recent pics later!

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Sam,

You are raising the bar for anyone that is going to build this truck. I will be borrowing some of your idea and techniques foir sure. As I have several of these to build.

Be Well

Gator