Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

There is no date on the box or instructions, but due to the box condition and yellowing instructions it appears to be an older kit.

Now that I see it it's from the "Seville" era, so it's a newer (1986?) kit. I guess they reissued them in the "flat" boxes though.

I have that Mazda 787B kit and was lucky enough to see the 1:1 car last week at the Mitty at Road Atlanta !! I have tons of detail shots of it. I was gonna build the kit for my LM 24hr build, but not now. I'm gonna get the carbon fiber template set and p/e set for it from Scale Motorsports to do it justice now !! My son has the other kit, the Charge kit thats orange and green along with the extras for it also. Love that car, and when it starts and runs, well there's just no words !!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now that I see it it's from the "Seville" era, so it's a newer (1986?) kit. I guess they reissued them in the "flat" boxes though.

Being the JoHan fan that you are, you'd know better than I would about when it was made. I didn't look too deep into it...just wanted one for some time. Like I was telling you yesterday I couldn't pass on the price, and being "vintage-ish" I'll eventually built it. Thanks for the info.

I got both of these in separate auctions last week on ebay and delivered this week for pretty cheap. I happened to be the only bidder on one. Anyway, the JoHan Chrysler Turbine is a complete vintage(pretty sure) full detail kit. There is no date on the box or instructions, but due to the box condition and yellowing instructions it appears to be an older kit. The second is the Doyusha '71 GTO, not '64(typo), and is an open box, but has all the sealed bags inside. I know it's not the best kit...it's a motorized kit and the interior is a sad representation, but if I do build it I can just build it with "blacked-out" glass. The body is pretty decent. Maybe build it with the Revell '72 Cutlass kit's chassis and AMT '72 GTO interior tub for the full detail? Not totally accurate, but it's better than nothing and the way it is now.IMG_3655_zpse56cbffc.jpg

Those Johan Chysler turbine kits are super in details and everything opens on it hood, doors and trunk and the body is also molded with a vinyl top which looks very realistic when painted. I don't know if yours is the reissue or not but I have four of these kits waiting to be built.

Mine are the original issues as each one of them are molded in white, bright blue, bronze, yellow, and a maroon..

I got both of these in separate auctions last week on ebay and delivered this week for pretty cheap. I happened to be the only bidder on one. Anyway, the JoHan Chrysler Turbine is a complete vintage(pretty sure) full detail kit. There is no date on the box or instructions, but due to the box condition and yellowing instructions it appears to be an older kit. The second is the Doyusha '71 GTO, not '64(typo), and is an open box, but has all the sealed bags inside. I know it's not the best kit...it's a motorized kit and the interior is a sad representation, but if I do build it I can just build it with "blacked-out" glass. The body is pretty decent. Maybe build it with the Revell '72 Cutlass kit's chassis and AMT '72 GTO interior tub for the full detail? Not totally accurate, but it's better than nothing and the way it is now.IMG_3655_zpse56cbffc.jpg

Those Johan Chysler turbine kits are super in details and everything opens on it hood, doors and trunk and the body is also molded with a vinyl top which looks very realistic when painted. I don't know if yours is the reissue or not but I have four of these kits waiting to be built.

Mine are the original issues as each one of them are molded in white, bright blue, bronze, yellow, and a maroon..

According to Casey mine is a reissue from some time in the '80's. That didn't make any difference to me as I just wanted one...at a reasonable price. Mine is molded in white and yes, the amount of details and working features engineered into the kit is really great. There is a lot of clean-up though...lots of flashing. That won't deter me from building it when the time comes.

I'm sort of a Turbine Car nut, and have dozens of the kits and promos.

Andy, yours is definitely one of the later issues.

All of the early issues from the 60s had a slightly smaller box, and all were molded in "Turbine Bronze" color. The earlys even included a strip of adhesive foil (sort of like "Bare Metal Foil") so you could foil the rocker panels. These originals go for high $$$ on EvilBay.

Later issues, especially during the "Seville" era of JoHan, were molded in a variety of colors, some quite bazarre. Rumor has it that they used whatever plastic beads were leftover from their other injection molding operations.

Regardless, it is a GREAT kit, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge.

If any of you are interested in some background info on this kit, drop me a PM. If there's enough interest, I'll dig out some of my Turbine kits for photos and do a retro kit review for the forum.

Rodney:

That's actually #2, I think.

Original box was that size, but more of a brown color. Also, the color of your kit plastic does not look like the original "Turbine Bronze", but that could be the camera and your lighting playing tricks On my aging eyes.

I'll have to dig one of mine out of the stash and post a photo.

Andy (and everyone else looking over our shoulder as we hijack this thread):

Regarding the JoHan Turbine Car kits, attached is a photo showing what I know to be the three (3) box variants for various releases of the kit. The brownish colored box is #1, Blue is an early reissue, and the slightly larger box is for the later reissues. Some of those later ones will have a sticker on them saying "Seville".

BTW, the original brown was a bit darker. This box in the pix is badly faded; not one of my better examples in my collection, but it was the first I could lay hands on.

The other pix I'm posting are of an original promo of the car. I hope that these two (2) pix will come through clearly on this post. If you can enlarge the pix, you'll get a good idea of the color that the original kits and promos were molded in. Note: the early promos had sort of a metallic pearl clearcoat. Hopefully you'll be able to catch a glimpse of that in the top-view photo.

Hope this is of some help and amusement to y'all.

For info on the 1:1, I highly recommend the book entitled "Chrysler's Turbine Car: the Rise And Fall of Detroit's Coolest Creation", by Steve Lehto, published in 2010. You should still find it available in paperback at "Amazon", and I got a digital copy recently off of iTunes for my iPad.

I have been fortunate to see a couple of the Turbines in person at the Chrysler Museum, and at the Petersen museum in years past. Wish I could visit Jay Leno and get a ride in his personal Turbine which he got from Chrysler engineering department!

Regards,

Mike

post-10758-0-02197200-1367985907_thumb.j

post-10758-0-49667700-1367985960_thumb.j

post-10758-0-55577100-1367986042_thumb.j

Thanks for the info Mike. Like I was saying, I'm just glad I was able to get one at a decent price...for the full detail kit. I've wanted one for a bit and they just kept getting bidded up to more than I was willing to spend. I just happen to be the only bidder on that one.

Today I got a AMT Matilda custom van, been chasing one for awhile to add to my van collection. Still need a heap of vans to complete the whole set but I'm getting there one at a time.

It was factory sealed until it got here........ :D

Factory seals dont last long in my house. :unsure:

vanmatilda_zpsa311f458.jpg

Today I got a AMT Matilda custom van, been chasing one for awhile to add to my van collection. Still need a heap of vans to complete the whole set but I'm getting there one at a time.

It was factory sealed until it got here........ :D

Factory seals dont last long in my house. :unsure:

vanmatilda_zpsa311f458.jpg

Man, I remember building that when I was in grade school. I wouldn't mind trying it again soon.

Later-

Nacho Z-I found the kits at the swap meet area of a car show.I did goof,though.I posted from memory at work and rather than nine F1 kits it was really eight plus a New Man Porsche 956.Anyway-one guy had 5 of the kits for $50 and another guy had 5 for $60.I didn't exactly steal them but I didn't get taken either.I'd call it low market pricing.Usually the kits sell around here in metro Detroit( a rather low demand area for F1 and Sports/GT kits) in the $15 range.

A little more info on my T/A...

I bought a trans am yesterday from new Brunswick.

85, 2 lady owners, never winter driven, always stored in a heated garage, all original. The only thing replaced was 10 inches of brake line cause the original chafed. T tops with the original bags, car cover included. Painted once. 305 4 bbl 700r.

There is zero rust. At all. Anywhere. 3300$!

A little more info on my T/A...

I bought a trans am yesterday from new Brunswick.

85, 2 lady owners, never winter driven, always stored in a heated garage, all original. The only thing replaced was 10 inches of brake line cause the original chafed. T tops with the original bags, car cover included. Painted once. 305 4 bbl 700r.

There is zero rust. At all. Anywhere. 3300$!

Man, that's a steal.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...