Model Cars Magazine Forum

Completed: Revell 1970 TransAm

Eric C

Finally finished this one up. It's the re-release of the Revell (Monogram) 1970 TransAm. Painted with Tamiya Pure White and cleared/polished. The interior is painted with Testors Lacquer Nassau Blue Metallic and detailed with testors chrome silver and semi-gloss black. The shaker scoop was painted with Tamiya Light Blue Metallic and the decals were masked off (while still on the decal sheet) and re-sprayed with the same Light Blue Metallic so they would more closely match the shaker scoop. I added plug wires, although impossible to see, and I also added window cranks and door locks. I stripped and repainted the wheels and rear bumper. I painted the bumper with alclad and it was my first time using it. Some of the chrome rubbed of the bumper while handling it and it needs to be redone. The Firestone lettering on the tires are left over decals from a Fujimi GT40 kit. This release doesn't include "Transam" scripts for the fenders or rear of the spoiler. Also, the hood doesn't fit great.

Here's a few pics... thanks for looking.

100_0816.jpg

100_0814.jpg

100_0818.jpg

100_0826.jpg

100_0827.jpg

100_0828.jpg

100_0823.jpg

sweet. wut paint did u use? did u use kit decals?arent this car suposed to be black w,gold strips?looks nice tho i think it shuld be lowred and tha weelz r two small

:shock: :D

Sorry, I was at the three pictures only or you will die forum and got a bit punchy from reading comments by the clueless :wink:

Beautiful model. I'll try to behave now :twisted:

Sorry, I was at the three pictures only or you will die forum and got a bit punchy from reading comments by the clueless :wink:

You shouldn't be so hard on them over there...remember, there's plenty of cluelessness everywhere...

BTW, don't you do a little work every now and then for the folks who run the "three pictures or die" forum? :wink:

You shouldn't be so hard on them over there...remember, there's plenty of cluelessness everywhere...

BTW, don't you do a little work every now and then for the folks who run the "three pictures or die" forum? :wink:

Shhhhh. :wink: I should have said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him read"! Part of the problem of people asking the questions is because of the policy against pictures. Combine that with lazy readers and I'm left :roll: :evil: :x

I've thought many a time about simply posting photos of a new build on forums where that is common (this is not one of them), and just answering questions if/when they get asked.

Thanks folks...

Chris, the headlight lenses are the ones that came with the kit. Thankfully, they're nice and clear and when attached to the chrome headlight bucket they look really nice. I wish they had handled the parking/signal lights better.

Eric that is perfect! And what a paintjob! :shock: Stance is perfect for a Trans Am.

It looks like you fixed the doorglass line in the roof with the proper curve? Great idea on paint-matching the decals too.

I just got one of these kits myself. Looking forward to building it after it's been gone for so long.

Eric,

I think the number of positive replies indicate what a beautiful build this, and high quality pictures really help demonstrate exactly how nice it is. There is a solution for the missing T/A decals, but I'm not sure it's a "perfect" solution. Keith Marks makes decals for Trans Ams, but they are listed as "1973-1977" instead of 70+ as the brochures listed the late introduction Second Generation Firebird. The main difference being the Screaming Chicken on the hood instead of the one stripe that runs the length of the car. I do not know if the missing Fender and spoiler emblems, which the Keith Marks sheet provides are the same for 1970 and 1973 and up. Bare minimum, it would give you a convincing look that only the most avid Pontiac fan could tell was "incorrect". Here's the link to the decals:

http://images19.fotki.com/v34/photos/3/350...Pictures-vi.jpg

You can order them through his Fotki site or he also has auctions on ebay. And no, I'm not shilling for the company, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Eric,

I think the number of positive replies indicate what a beautiful build this, and high quality pictures really help demonstrate exactly how nice it is. There is a solution for the missing T/A decals, but I'm not sure it's a "perfect" solution. Keith Marks makes decals for Trans Ams, but they are listed as "1973-1977" instead of 70+ as the brochures listed the late introduction Second Generation Firebird. The main difference being the Screaming Chicken on the hood instead of the one stripe that runs the length of the car. I do not know if the missing Fender and spoiler emblems, which the Keith Marks sheet provides are the same for 1970 and 1973 and up. Bare minimum, it would give you a convincing look that only the most avid Pontiac fan could tell was "incorrect". Here's the link to the decals:

http://images19.fotki.com/v34/photos/3/350...Pictures-vi.jpg

You can order them through his Fotki site or he also has auctions on ebay. And no, I'm not shilling for the company, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Funny, another friend (a talented graphic artist) and I were discussing these very decals the other day. That bird that Keith did looks like it was hand-drawn; it's not particularly good artwork, it's sufficient if you like a 5-footer. I've also seen some of his Z28 decals that were awful (a very well-regarded builder sent pics of a silver Monogram '79 Z28 he just built for a magazine article); jagged/pixelated edges, flaking pigment, the orange stripe was rendered as a series of stripes because ALPS decals don't blend "non-pure" colors very well. For the record, I have four sets of Keith's decals for other cars, and they're all very nice; crisp and the colors are pure, and I'm a happy customer too. Unfortunately they're not all to the same level of quality.

I don't know if Keith's T/A name emblems are the right size/scale for a '70. I've already taken care of Eric in the form of some blue T/A decals he can use w/o needing to go to Keith. His model is stunning in person. It practically glows. It's gorgeous; pictures don't do it justice.