Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting the Desired Amount of Shine

I've been practicing using Future as a finish. It produces a lustrous shine that will look great on hot rods and customs. I do have a few of them to build. But my main interest is F1, Indycars and racing Sports Cars, some of which were raced in the 50s up through the present. The older cars don't have the finish that Future would give. Even some of the newer ones are not show car finishes. So I decided to do an experiment to see if I could come up with something a little more period correct.

I'd read the excellent article by Matt Swan http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

In his article, he mentions that you can use flat acrylic mixed with Future to give the desired amount (or lack thereof) of shine. His suggestions were:

1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin

He also suggests using alcohol as a thinner for the Future. With that in mind, I shot 6 spoons, each with Tamiya Black Laquer and a seventh with Duplicolor Semi-Gloss Black. Then I mixed Model Master Flat Acrylic Clear FM02015 with isopropyl alcohol (3 parts flat clear to 1 part alcohol). I used that mixture to dilute the future in the following ratios: 1:5, 1:10, 1:15, 1:20, 1:30.

Here are a couple of pics of the spoons.

As you can see, the 1:5 and the semigloss are pretty close to each other. The 1:30 and the one with just black lacquer are close. The 1:15 and 1:20 appear to be about right for an older race car or older non-restored auto. This differs from Matts results somewhat but I'm sure the conditions were different for he and I.

post-9974-0-27757900-1398382583_thumb.jp

post-9974-0-14989700-1398382594_thumb.jp

Edited by Miatatom

Tom, Thank-you for doing the research and work for us(ME). I think this should be pinned for quick reference. I have recently started again using Future and just not had the time to work with it as much as you have. But it has made my windows clearer.

Then I mixed Model Master Flat Acrylic Clear FM02015 with I used a mixture of one part alcohol to 3 parts Future (1:3) in the following ratios: 1:5, 1:10, 1:15, 1:20, 1:30.

I wanted to make a correction about this experiment. I DID NOT dilute each of the above ratios with alcohol. They were all mixed in the ratios above with Model Master Flat Acrylic Clear FM02015 and Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish (Future).

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a GT40 body with Future on it and it's still fine after a couple of months. I'll probably do a 61 Falcon Ranchero in the next couple of days.

Anyone know why it would crack? Still learning about it myself.

I've had a GT40 body with Future on it and it's still fine after a couple of months. I'll probably do a 61 Falcon Ranchero in the next couple of days.

Anyone know why it would crack? Still learning about it myself.

What I could find is that the cracking is cause from the paint not being 100% gassed out.

My stuff always spends some time in my home made dehydrator before I've tried any Future on it. The interior for the Falcon I'm doing was hand painted with acrylics and then cleared with a MM Flat Acrylic Clear and Future mixture of 1:5. Gave it a nice dull shine like 60s vinyl. I hope to have that car finished soon.