Model Cars Magazine Forum

LS7 Engine casting - mold release ?

have been wanting to do some of my own castings, have only done some wheels with mixed results. thought i would try a LS style engine.

i havent done the block yet, but tried heads,intake and covers.

how much release spray are you supposed to use, and it says to dry completely. is that correct when doing small items?

thanks

models2060.jpg

models2061.jpg

If you're using silicone for the molds, you don't need any release, however using it will allow you to get more castings from the mold itself..however you wont really see the benefits unless your doing production casting.

A little bit goes a long way, I buy my ease release in the bottle rather than the spray, and I brush it on with a nylon bristle brush. spray or bottle, you should brush it out regardless it helps it get in the nooks and crannies, and spreads it out evenly. Let it dry..but it doesnt take long. when Iput it near a warm spot.

http://www.price-driscoll.com/

I use the Ultra 4 paintable mold release. Despite what it says, I spray it in brush it around and let it set for about 20 minutes before pouring any resin in. If you don't allow it to gas out first you will make parts that will be rubbery and never cure properly. You might be able to call them for a free sample can. That's what they used to do but times have changed in the business world.

Edited by Greg Wann

A little goes a long way (I use Ultra 4 from price-driscoll also). A quick spray on the mold is all it takes. I never have brushed it. Also, I've poured resin within minutes of spraying the molds and have never had rubbery or un-cured parts. If your casting on glass or using glass on top of your 1 piece flat molds you can give the glass a quick spray as well. This will help your cured resin piece pop from the glass more easily. I give my molds a quick spray after every 2-3 pours.