Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not many people know that I also build Planes, ships and just about any other type of model, but here is one of my "other models". I'm working on the Lindberg re-issue of the old Hawk 1932 Gee Bee race plane. I'm used to building hasegawa, tamiya, and accurate miniatures, so I don't often run into wierd fit issues, but I have with this one.

As you can see in the photos the wings are one unit, and mount by sliding them through the fuselage. here in lies the problem. It creates a huge gap around the wing. I was thinking of adding a thin strip of material where the wig meats the fuselage on each side and file it until they fit tight, but this seems really tedious. has anyone else here built this kit and if so, how did you deal with this gap?

IMG_1688-vi.jpg

IMG_1689-vi.jpg

IMG_1690-vi.jpg

IMG_1691-vi.jpg

IMG_1692-vi.jpg

Thanks for any input you have.

Edited by Darin Bastedo

I haven't built that in a hundred years!

Here's my idea. Since the wing fits the fuselage fairly well on the top side, I'd glue it, then when dry use a bit of Mr Surfacer. I'd smooth it with a Qtip damp with laquer thinner.

Then I'd insert strips to fill the gap left underneath, using liquid glue ever so lightly. Then I'd trim and sand as best as I could.

Get the best seam topside, and as best as possible underneath.

G

Either separate the wing in the center spar,and deal with each side separately, or do what was said in the reply above.As far as a filler,I've been real pleased with 30 minute epoxy mixed with microballons.If you were to flow it in very carefully,you might not need to sand at all.There seems to be no right or wrong mix with this stuff either.The more microballoons you add,the thicker it gets.

Better yet, ashcan that thing and find a Williams Bros Kit of it in 1/32. They build like a dream ( a good one! ) and they also have the GeeBee Z. I know they are out of production now but they were available for so many years there must be a lot of them laying around somewhere.

Either separate the wing in the center spar,and deal with each side separately, or do what was said in the reply above.As far as a filler,I've been real pleased with 30 minute epoxy mixed with microballons.If you were to flow it in very carefully,you might not need to sand at all.There seems to be no right or wrong mix with this stuff either.The more microballoons you add,the thicker it gets.

To add to Mikes idea, split the wings but join them with two pieces of wire. Measure and shorten the span within the fuselage where it wont show. It'll maybe make the wing root fit better.

That way you won't deal with the angle issues that may arise from having two seperate wing halfs. They will be one unit as before, but not.

I've never used Microballoons, Mike got more tips?

Is that clear? :angry:

G

Why not jest use putty? That is what modeler builders do. BTW: What does hien mean? Your welcome! JIMMY :angry:

Using putty means sanding. there is really fine rivit and panel detail near the joint, and sanding would obscure that. I'll explain what hein means when you explain what a modeler builder is. Someone who builds modelers? Ya know, not every one of your posts needs to be a smart-alec response. perhaps when you grow up a little you will understand that. My patience with you is starting to wear really thin.

with the Mr.Surfacer i think you will be able to tape over the detail on the fuselage bottom and use a brush to apply the primer/filler to the gap. that could also work with other putties too maybe and keep the detail clean.

i'm very interested in how they did the engraving on that plane, looks like the markings are engraved too?

i decided to just add material to the mating surface and sand it until it fits snug. Yes the marings are engraved too, but the kit also comes with some really nice decals.

This has always been one of my fav style planes, but I'm not sure I would like the markings in the plastic like that. Do the decals cover pretty well? Do you think it will be very apperent once they are down? looks to be very interesting. Black and yellow? or red and white? I think I like them so much because they remind me of the gasser and early drag wars. little frames with big engines.....and scallops. :)

Edited by moparmagiclives

I built this kit for someone about twenty years ago, and I used some Squadron Green Stuff putty. I did use masking tape to cover the engraved detail to preserve it when sanding. It builds into a nice kit; I used guitar string for the bracing. I'm currently working on the Travelair Mystery Ship ex-Hawk kit, which when painted and wire braced, looks beautiful. I had built this for the same person those years ago, and it came out so well, I had to build one for myself.