Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mid Sixties Dragster

Dyno Davo

Hi chris, this is in 1/16 scale, thanks for checking out this build. Cheers dave

David.... It is awesome you are doing another 1/16th scale build. You are gonna knock this one out of the park like your last 1/16th scale dragster. I believe that I have seen a sneak peek in the most recent issue of MCM with the cover to the next issue and if I remember right your other dragster is on the cover ;) . It is well deserved. You are making some great progress on this build and doing a fantastic job so far. Keep up the awesome work.

David.... It is awesome you are doing another 1/16th scale build. You are gonna knock this one out of the park like your last 1/16th scale dragster. I believe that I have seen a sneak peek in the most recent issue of MCM with the cover to the next issue and if I remember right your other dragster is on the cover ;) . It is well deserved. You are making some great progress on this build and doing a fantastic job so far. Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks Chris, yep I was honored to be asked to have my Dragmaster model in the Nov/Dec issue. The editing guys did a great job with the photo layout.

Thanks for the compliments guys, really appreciated. Well I had a productive weekend and managed to get a fair bit done.

Decided to tackle the front end a bit different this time so I turned up some collars for the torsion tube, scratch built some links and then turned up some end caps.

DSCF3071.jpg

DSCF3072.jpg

Detailed up and installed the parachute pack, still needs some detail painting later on

DSCF3074.jpg

Took the Revell Cirello mag and chopped off the base and turned up a new one. Turned up a collar for the coil lead and the kill switch lead. Added a metal label as well

DSCF3075.jpg

DSCF3076.jpg

Here's a mock up of the body panels, color looked great in the jar but not on the model, so it's going to changed out

DSCF3069.jpg

DSCF3070.jpg

My best wishes and prayers to all affected by Hurricane Sandy, devastating to see the damage, destruction and loss of life.

Dave... this is an absolute beauty my friend. Very nice and clean work. love all of your scratch building you are doing. That magneto looks Killer, nice work on the machined parts. Also love the parachute. I have to ask what did you use for the collar at the end of cable. that looks great.

Dave... this is an absolute beauty my friend. Very nice and clean work. love all of your scratch building you are doing. That magneto looks Killer, nice work on the machined parts. Also love the parachute. I have to ask what did you use for the collar at the end of cable. that looks great.

Hi Chris, thanks for checking in mate. The little collar is actually a small chrome metal tube used for jewellery. I buy the odd bag or two at the $2 buck shop they come in chrome and gold, small diameter (about 1mm) and medium (about 1.5mm) come in very handy for these sorts of applications and to simulate some of the metal collars on the old style fuel lines. If you get stuck trying to find some PM me and I'll get some over to you..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in progress updates. Wife's tupperware party went well, think i put a kilo on by raiding the sweets tray on a regular basis :rolleyes: . Spent most of my time of late doing all the fiddly bits on the engine (this post) and finally sorting out the paint work (second post) anyway here we go;

DSCF3077.jpg

DSCF3078.jpg

DSCF3079.jpg

DSCF3080.jpg

Oh yeah, managed to get the front axle mounted as well

DSCF3081.jpg

DSCF3084.jpg

Body work progress. Sanded off my previous disaster and re-applied silver base, I then free handed in Pontiac Engine Blue in the paneled sections and finally masked them off and sprayed Aqua marine metal flake into the paneled areas.

DSCF3082.jpg

I then ghosted black along some of the leading edges before applying 10 coats of candy blue

DSCF3115.jpg

DSCF3119.jpg

DSCF3121.jpg

Next step is to add white and gold edging to the panel work and then the cowl art. I've decided to call this littler digger the Acme Special so I've been working on some suitable artwork for the cowl. This is not the final but getting close, let me know what you think. The helmet is photo-shopped in from the old Bell Helmets logo, the one with the horse head.

AcmeSpecialCowlart.png

Also been working on the headers.

DSCF3122.jpg