Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plymouth Superbird

Sonny J.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sonny, welcome to the hobby and the forum. You can never go wrong with a great old Mopar like the Superbird. Box stock is how practically everyone who does these models started out, you are on the right track. Have fun with your build, that is the whole name of the game, to have a good time. I will try to keep up with your build. Best wishes, Sean.

I have progressed.. but i can't admitt that it's forward moving progress, i were just putting on my final layer on the chassi when I put a too thick layer and it started running and the whole rear right quarter panel got cover in small airholes. I'm not completely sure what to do i have tried to strip the paint with Acetone and fine sandpaper but showed little result.

post-15625-0-91945300-1435098079_thumb.j

do you guys have any suggestions on how i could strip the paint without harming the plastic? That would be greatly appreciated since this photo is after i tried with acetone and sandpaper, it slowly works but im worried that I'm gonna chip away at the plastic if I haven't already

post-15625-0-99258000-1435098322_thumb.j

/Sonny J.

I have progressed.. but i can't admitt that it's forward moving progress, i were just putting on my final layer on the chassi when I put a too thick layer and it started running and the whole rear right quarter panel got cover in small airholes. I'm not completely sure what to do i have tried to strip the paint with Acetone and fine sandpaper but showed little result.

attachicon.gif20150617_205011.jpg

do you guys have any suggestions on how i could strip the paint without harming the plastic? That would be greatly appreciated since this photo is after i tried with acetone and sandpaper, it slowly works but im worried that I'm gonna chip away at the plastic if I haven't already

attachicon.gif20150617_205528.jpg

/Sonny J.

Acetone will melt the plastic right now ! Same with lacquer thinner .

Here in the U.S. , it is common to use Castrol Super Clean or its "more-affordable" competitor , Purple Power ; however , I can't speak to what is available in Sweden (or Europe in general).

Acetone will melt the plastic right now ! Same with lacquer thinner .

Here in the U.S. , it is common to use Castrol Super Clean or its "more-affordable" competitor , Purple Power ; however , I can't speak to what is available in Sweden (or Europe in general).

yeah that's what i feared so I started wet sanding instead but thanks for the tip! Now I shall start my adventure to find something equal to the "more affordable" Purple Power (as a student AND Porsche owner every penny saved counts :D)

Oooo, Acetone is a big no no. :wacko:

Although, I have used finger nail polish remover for small jobs. it's still acetone, but watered down.

Either way, I would stay away from it.

If you're planning on stripping the entire body, the Super Clean works nice.

If you can't get that, Easy Off oven cleaner works well too.

Neither one will harm the plastic.

Steve

Do not feel bad about the little paint problem. I am working on a GTO that has been fighting me all the way. It is in the Purple bath for the 4th time!

Keep plugging along, it looks great so far. You painting details will stand out nicely when finished.

attachicon.gif20150617_205011.jpg

attachicon.gif20150617_205528.jpg

/Sonny J.

90% isopropyl alcohol should work; you might have to scrub a little with an soft toothbrush. It's cheap, too, and a good drugstore or pharmacy should have it. Wear rubber gloves when scrubbing the body.

Aerosol oven cleaner also works well; put the body in a zip-lock plastic bag, spray in the oven cleaner to cover the body, then seal the bag. Again, you might have to scrub a bit. Wear gloves and safety glasses when spraying and working with oven cleaner.

The last step, before any more painting, is to wash the stripped parts with warm water and a liquid dish detergent- something that cuts grease.

-If it were me, WET sand that area, till the air bubbles disappear and then with a REALLY thin consistency of paint, of the same color a LIGHT coat over thew whole car being the "final" wet sanding, of say 1,000 grit wet/dry sand paper, should be done over the whole car to keep the "tone" of the paint the same, on the "final" coat......

Then finish as you would normally..... The paint is still workable and doesn't seem to need completely "removed".......

Thanks for all the suggestions! This really helps a lot I haven't been able to get my hands on any of them yet :unsure: But eventually I will and it will be glorious! (hopefully)

I'm think to go with either Purple Power or oven cleaner since that will be the easiest ,and cheapest??, for me to get :)

I'm really annoyed that I don't have so much time to build at this model anymore since I started working during the summer. But I build what i have time for but it isn't advancing as steady as before. However I'll hopefully be done with it soon so I can start my next build :rolleyes: