Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build of my 1:1 2013 Mustang - Updated 4/11

SterlingStang13

Hey everyone! I'm a new member here, but have been lurking the forums for a little while gathering information on what products, and what kind of work would have to be done to make a replica model of my 1:1 2013 Mustang V6. Below is pics of my 1:1 car. It is a 2013 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium with a charcoal black leather interior, and a 6 speed manual transmission. I've done a few appearance, and performance mods as well.

P1030397_Resize_zps1048b25d.jpg

P1030411_CropResize_zps71d0b8ea.jpg

The only model kit I could find that would serve as a good base without much modification was the 2013 Boss 302. I would need to fill the hood vents, sand the chin spoiler down, reshape the rear valence, modify the chrome grille from the AMT 1967 Mustang Fastback, and either find or make 1/4 window louvers. I haven't found a solution for the engine as there aren't many V6 model kits to choose from, and I'm not holding out much luck that any of them look similar to my 3.7L, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm more concerned about how the exterior looks.

Here is a pic of what I've bought so far. I've also bought the AMT 1967 Mustang Fastback kit that I'll be using the chrome grille from, and Sterling Gray OEM matched paint and clear coat in an aerosol can from Automotivetouchup.com. I still need to get some other paints for the interior and such.

IMG_1261_zpsa24a26d4.jpg

My first step was to fill the vents in the hood so out came the bondo, and a bit of a mess ensued!

IMG_1262_zps9e0d7b29.jpg

Some 220 grit sandpaper on a block salvaged my horrible bondo application. See the chin spoiler on the front bumper that needs to be sanded down?

IMG_1268_zpsd601a8bc.jpg

And with a little help from you guys on here the hood is now ventless, and primed! Also as you can see in this picture, I've also sanded down the chin spoiler to more closely match my 1:1.

P1030760_zps0ad13f5b.jpg

And lastly I've assembled the pieces of the engine that will all be painted aluminum.

IMG_1265_zps011e338f.jpg

That's all I have for now. Thanks for looking! I'll post more when I get more time to work on this!

Edited by SterlingStang13

Building your 1:1 car is as fun as it gets as far as I'm concerned. And that Mustang is a great looker. I've built a number of my similar cars (VW and Porsche 944's) and it's amazing how much the various models vary in detail.

Yours is looking good and good luck with the remaining detail.

Great real car. You are so lucky to have it. i waiting to see building process of this model :)

Thanks! My car is my baby. Unfortunately with my night shift schedule I haven't had time to work on the model anymore yet. The paint from automotivetouchup.com is supposed to arrive later today so I'll get a pic of that up as soon as I can, and I'm sure I'll get something done on it this weekend.

Great start. I have to build some models of my stangs at some point too

I agree. I've been so infatuated with hot rods lately that its prevented me from doing so! I am really surprised at myself that I havent picked up a dozen of the Revell foxbody drag cars by now.

Great start. I have to build some models of my stangs at some point too

Thanks! You should! I look forward to seeing them. Mustang builds are my favorite.

I agree. I've been so infatuated with hot rods lately that its prevented me from doing so! I am really surprised at myself that I havent picked up a dozen of the Revell foxbody drag cars by now.

Thanks! The main reason I got into this hobby was because I wanted a mini version of my 1:1, and couldn't find any 2013's anywhere other than this Boss model. I actually have an old unbuilt revell foxbody lowrider kit that my parents bought me when I was younger. We'll see how much I like this hobby as to wether or not I build more models. So far I'm definitely having a good time building this!

My rattle cans of Ford Sterling Gray OEM matched base coat and clear coat arrived the other day from automotivetouchup.com, and last night I painted a spoon to see what they look like. I'm impressed! I plan to take a photo of it against my car in the day time to check the color match, but this pic will give you an idea of how it looks.

P1030773_zpserzudlt4.jpg

paint looks good on the spoon! by the way its probly not the same v6 but it is a ford you can check into a ford explorer kit that was made i think there was a v-8 and they also did i want to say the larger for the time 4.0 v6 top off that motor with a more modern intake you may have "close as possible" to a v6 powered stang you going for......

paint looks good on the spoon! by the way its probly not the same v6 but it is a ford you can check into a ford explorer kit that was made i think there was a v-8 and they also did i want to say the larger for the time 4.0 v6 top off that motor with a more modern intake you may have "close as possible" to a v6 powered stang you going for......

Thanks! I'll look into finding a 4.0 v6 from the explorer, but I'm not sure I want to spend a bunch of money on something that will rarely be seen. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I definitley do need to find some 1/4 window louvers though.

And as promised, here is a picture of how closely the paint matches the actual car. I am extremely happy with this paint. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it!

IMG_1286_zpsiej7bov0.jpg

I also started on the body work on the rear valence. This time my bondo application was more under control!

IMG_1289_zpsbcla9h5l.jpg

I forgot to take a before picture, but this is how it looked before I applied the bondo.

139140d1369693798-13-14-boss-cs-rear-dif

And this is how it should look.

P1030399_Blurred_zpsjhm4yau1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I've done quite a bit of work on this in the past few weeks, and I'm finally getting around to updating this. This project is going to take longer than I expected it to, but thats ok, I'm not going to rush just to get it done.

Picking up from where I left off in the last update I started shaping the bondo on the rear bumper cover.

IMG_1295_zpsaytoabow.jpg

Here is the 1st coat of primer which showed me what areas needed to be corrected.

IMG_1301_zps0isr2sq0.jpg

It took a few applications of bondo, sanding, re-sanding, and priming to get the curve the way that I wanted it. Here is the final result primed.

IMG_1309_zpsedrgzryj.jpg

Next I moved onto prepping for paint. I deepened the scribing in the panel lines using the back of a broken tipped #11 xacto blade. The rubber trim area under the side windows needed a lot of work as the line was almost nonexistant. This proved to be harder than I'd imagined to get a straight line. It didn't turn out perfect, but I'm happy with it and am glad I did it now. You can't see it real well in this picture, but you'll see it better when I get it primed.

IMG_1319_zpsj7b4y0on.jpg

Here all of my parts that will be painted body color are prepared for priming. I wet sanded everything before priming with a 1500 grit polish pad. I'm using Plasti Kotes Spot Filler primer.

IMG_1322_zpsfda5dayg.jpg

After 3 coats of primer on everything I wet sanded the primer again with a 1500 grit polish pad to remove a few specks of dust/debris, and create a smooth surface for my paint.

IMG_1328_zpsgcafdfhj.jpg

Now it's time for paint! This is one of the big moments I had been waiting for. I'm using paint from Automotivetouchup.com. OEM matched Ford Sterling Gray paint, and their clear coat to ensure compatibility. I didn't take many good pictures between the coats of paint, but here are a couple mock up pictures which show the paint job well. I did 3 coats of the Sterling Gray base coat, and 4 coats of clear as I plan to wet sand everything to remove orange peel and I wanted to make sure that I had enough clear coat to do so. And a note to anyone who may decide to use this paint I highly recommend you get a respirator as this stuff smells awful. That said, I love this paint!

P1030906_CameraRaw_zpsvamqugnt.jpg

P1030905_CameraRaw_zpsct8gpgxs.jpg

I know my 1:1 car doesn't have those wheels yet, but they are what I am buying for my 1:1 in a few months after we get out of the winter months here.

While my paint is curing I started to paint and assemble the engine, and other miscellaneous suspension parts. I decided to go ahead and use the boss motor even though mine is only a V6 because I've already spent way more than I had intended, and finding a kit with a modern looking V6 is nearly impossible it seems. I'm using Tamiya TS-6 Flat Black for the sprue with the air box, intake manifold, valve covers, etc., and also the radiator. Everything else was done with Tamiya TS-29 Semi Gloss black. There's not as much of a difference between these two as I thought there would be. I'm not 100% sure they were worth the money compared to what I could've got at Walmart, or Autozone.

P1030916_zpskg4aem0v.jpg

P1030925_zpsojnw5wpk.jpg

Here I've cut off, sanded smooth, and touched up the parts that I currently need to put the basics of my engine together.

P1030940_CameraRaw_zpshgxxgiai.jpg

You can't see the oil filler cap very well in the picture, but I've already glued that in place. I needed to do that so I wouldn't lose it as it is tiny! Also, the engine block, heads, and transmission are all brush painted Flat Aluminum with Tamiya XF-16. I love this paint! It looks like a near perfect match to Fords all aluminum engines.

And here is the basic completed engine. There's still a couple small parts that I need to get painted and added like the oil filter, starter, AC compressor, and headers, but here is how it looks so far. I'm very happy with how it's turning out!

064b0ce6-f3ab-45f3-a527-d353fcbdb780_zps

That's all I have for now. Thanks for looking! With any luck I'll get to wet sanding the paint, and finishing up some of those engine details later on tonight.

I will admit I am by far not a Ford or mustang fan, but with that being said (when you have a vehicle pregame you have to give that precursor if your complementing a rival vehicle. Lol) your 1:1 is beautiful and well worthy of replicating. For someone doing there first build you are doing amazing! For someone who has built tons of kiss it would still be amazing, great job keep it up. Also kudos on shooting for the stars, I do the same, but not sure I can boast quite as much for my results just yet.

Nice start Josh. Great paint job. I'll be following along with ya.

Thanks! I even impressed myself with the paint job, haha. Wait till you see the picture I took after wet sanding, and polishing everything.

I will admit I am by far not a Ford or mustang fan, but with that being said (when you have a vehicle pregame you have to give that precursor if your complementing a rival vehicle. Lol) your 1:1 is beautiful and well worthy of replicating. For someone doing there first build you are doing amazing! For someone who has built tons of kiss it would still be amazing, great job keep it up. Also kudos on shooting for the stars, I do the same, but not sure I can boast quite as much for my results just yet.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. To be fair I've always been a naturally crafty person, and I did a ton of research before I started this endeavor so I was fairly prepared. With that said my model is far from perfect. I've already made a few mistakes, and discovered some things that I should have done differently.

And here is what I managed to get done last night. I spent close to 5 hours wet sanding, and polishing everything. This picture doesn't do the paint justice. It looks amazing in person! It's probably slicker, and deeper looking than my real paint, haha! I used 2400-4000 grit micro mesh pads to wet sand, and Meguiars Ultimate Compound which I've used on 1:1 cars (detailing is another hobby of mine) to polish out the scratches from the wet sanding.

P1040006_zpsdgsom1bq.jpg

Paint is awesome! I use megs ultimate compound too. I also use ultimate polish to rid if any hazing left over. End result is outstanding. Just need to be careful along the edges. The compound will definitely cut through to the plastic.