Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

Looks like the Money shot for this Van is gonna be the Windows..

They look Perfectly Cut.

Dash and interior is coming along very nicely..

Great work..

Thanks, Rodney, but you guys are making my head swell, so here's a shot of the other side. A couple corners got out of line and need some body work. They have already got their first first coat. :rolleyes:

Windows DSC 7210

Edited by Foxer

Man, this is turning out great! I started building the A-Team Van to replicate a van I used to own but then gave up as the door hinges eluded me. B) I converted mine to a Chevrolet. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more on this. Especially when you start tryin' to weather it. Keep them updates a comin'!

Here's my 1989 Chevy G20:

MB5.jpg

DSCF1676.jpg

Man, this is turning out great! I started building the A-Team Van to replicate a van I used to own but then gave up as the door hinges eluded me. :lol: I converted mine to a Chevrolet.

That looks good! Gonna be some big interior work I see. It will be a blast being one you owned. All the door cutouts look great! It's a shame to let all that work sit, but I do know .. don't ask how many are sitting here waiting for me!

I'm hinging the rear doors and plan to use some 1/16 brass tube and brass rod for pins. These were hinged like '32 Fords ... pretty easy hinges to make. Just use a long rod with both hinges on it to get them aligned when gluing. I'm going to attempt it with the center rod and two short rods on the door as the real one is. If that gets too finicky, I'll just use two rod pieces. They do need a small arm off the center rod to attach to the body.

Here's a shot showing what I'm talking about:

hinges P6291585

Edited by Foxer

Hey;

My name is Shawn and I am new to the website. I have an idea for the hinges that I have used on some of the Jeeps that I have built. I used the plastic coating that comes on the wire that you get when you buy the display cases to tie down the model that you are displaying. You remove the wire from the inside of the plastic coating and then cut that to the size you need for the hinge. Then you take a regular push pin that you can get from any fabric store or Hobby Lobby and insert that into the the plastic boot. Once that is done you add sheet plastic cut to the size of the hinge that mounts to the truck and the door to the appropriate side of the hinge. I would add pics but this thing is giving a problem doing that. If you have questions please feel free to ask. I also have the 8 lug wheels if you need them.

Shawn

Edited by crashmaster

Pics

First off Shawn, welcome to the site! :lol:

That is quite a van going there, VERY unusual! What did you use to cover it?

The hinge method is one I've not heard of, but it sounds very good AND economical! I think it's worth posting in our Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials section.

I'd love to take you up on the 8 lug wheels as I spent much time hunting for them. I did come to the conclusion that it will be easier to strip the lugs off some 5 bolt ones and add the lugs. I found the 8 lug version are deep dish, if you would confirm, and I'd have to cut and bring them back to shallower ones. Is that true? I DO appreciate the offer, though!

Edited by Foxer

Hey Mike! Enjoying your van build! It is cool to see someone building a vehicle that was owned by them or a family member but this one is very unique in the subject and the history behind it!:lol:

I'll stay tuned in!:lol:

I found a replacement seat for GMC vans that had dimensions, so I'm using the custom seats from the A-Team van and adding some width and shape. They will go to the body shop for some 2 part Bondo and maybe some V-Groove tuck and roll like on the side panels ... at least on passenger side. Driver's seat will need special patterned seat covers.

I started making a milk crate which shows in one of the shots of the 1:1 van. Some corner angles, plastic sheet and a grid I happened to have (see photo) should do it .. if I can get it all square! Some semi gloss black should give it a plastic look.

Milk Crate unpainted DSC 0789

Edited by Foxer

Just a minor update, but lots going on here. There's a lot of minor body things to do, like cleaning up all the thick plastic along the roof gutters from the simulated sliding door tracks. This has two regular side doors. I have a shot while extending the side trim with some triangular shapes. The brass sheet is what I use for a straight guide and also to scribe body lines. It may look curved in the photo, but the brass sheet is bulging outward and the shadows are whats giving the bent look to it.

Side Trim DSC 7295

I'm also in the process of making a milk container, but it's going slow. Hopefully I'll get past the fragile stage and can proceed instead of stepping back.

Thanks to all that have commented.. you're helping to keep me going on this one. :D

Edited by Foxer

I am really enjoying this build! I had a van not to long ago, and have thought of recreating it in Plastic..... To Add to the fun it was a wheelchair -lift van, as I am a paraplegic. I have often thought of building a cool old 60's flat-front ford or dodge van and putting a wheelchair lift in it... And would like to do the same in 1:1! Thanks for the motivation, and good luck

Rudy

I am really enjoying this build! I had a van not to long ago, and have thought of recreating it in Plastic..... To Add to the fun it was a wheelchair -lift van, as I am a paraplegic. I have often thought of building a cool old 60's flat-front ford or dodge van and putting a wheelchair lift in it... And would like to do the same in 1:1! Thanks for the motivation, and good luck

Rudy

Thanks, Rudy. That's an awesome idea you have .. would really be different. If it was operational it would really be cool.

Yay! one part moves to primer! The dash hasn't been seen since I first made the gauge panel. That one had gauges too close and too small .. so this is the third one. I have much detailing to do once it's in body color, but body work on this is done! ;)

Dash first primer DSC 6925

I never added a photo of the real interior, so here goes ...

doc interior front P6291594

Edited by Foxer

Keeping it moving, the interior panels are together and trimmed to fit. There's 8 strips of texture on each .. half-rounds, flats and V-groove.

The rear doors are coming along. They were taken from a spare body which I found was a Revell Chevy Van, so they needed to have material added top and bottom and sanded down in width to fit the AMT door openings. Plans for the hinges have been swimming in my head for weeks and should be in brass, aluminum and plastic soon!

In between all this, all the unmodified parts (there ARE some!) have been massaged to remove all the seams and ready for paint.

Interior Panels DSC 7363

Edited by Foxer

Mike,

This is all looking great so far! The work you've done on the dash and engine cover and now the interior panels looks spot on.

BTW, what paint are you using for the body?

I have some 1985 GMC Medium Blue Metallic from Paintscratch.com. Haven't had a chance to try it on anything yet. I also have a few lighter Krylon blue colors that match the interior.

That poor body paint will be dulled, scratched and rusted ... ;)

Edited by Foxer