Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Auto 1/24 th scale Audi R8 R slot car body as a transkit for the Revell of Germany Audi R8

IMSANUT

Weird topic I guess, but I was excited it existed.

This is a review of the Scale Auto Audi R8 R racing slot car body that I'll be using to convert the ROG Audi R8 into it's road racing counterpart.

First photo is of the body kit's contents:

variouspictures029_zps9ee6a612.jpg

The kit contains all the pieces needed for a VERY accurate body. Options are different styles of side view mirrors and steering wheels. There is also a proper racing induction set up and rear filler piece, wheel inserts, photo etch parts for the grills, very thin VERY clear windows, a good start for the roll cage, and proper racing dash. There is also a vac formed interior bucket that is too shallow for a static build.

Next are three views of the body pieces installed but not glued of course:

variouspictures030_zps022c9914.jpg

variouspictures031_zpsb87c1a39.jpg

variouspictures032_zps9a81adec.jpg

The quality of the pieces is very good. The slot body will fit nicely on the ROG chassis and interior with simple trimming to the slot body's internal mounting posts. The Induction piece will replace the kit's example, and the filler panel that goes round the engine will work very well also. The R)G chassis will have to be widened slightly between the wheel wells, and the kit's rear diffuser section, part of the chassis, will need to be removed to allow the slot bodies diffuser section to work.

Over all, for anyone contemplating a build of this way cool racing version of the Audi R8, it simplifies the job greatly. I paid $39.95 from a local slot car shop.

Patto's decals in Australia offers several sheets for Euro versions, but sadly no Grand Am decals yet. Mine will end up a phantom Champion Audi version using various decals from the ROG Porsche GT1 and Le Mans Miniatures Audi decal sheets.

This is the fourth body I have purchased from Scale Auto's selection, and I have been extremely pleased with each. They are highly recommended to anyone interested in current road racing cars.

Thanks a lot for the review. Great pictures....

I was wondering when the Scale Auto would make available for sale the plastic body only (instead complete version, with chassi)

May I ask you what is the name of the local shop you bought? They run any websotre? As I live in Brazil, I would like to try an overseas purchase...

I special ordered all of the bodies I've got. They brought in multiples of the first three, and added them to their site. I guess they have not done the same with the Audi. I am sure that if you sent them a note, they'd be happy to order you one. As I said, these folks are very nice people. I recommend them highly.

I special ordered all of the bodies I've got. They brought in multiples of the first three, and added them to their site. I guess they have not done the same with the Audi. I am sure that if you sent them a note, they'd be happy to order you one. As I said, these folks are very nice people. I recommend them highly.

JIm, thank you for being helpful, when I am ready to order one, I will contact them if they dont have them listed on the webiste

Now, when are going to get this one built, I cant wait to see how it looks finished

Is it resin or plastic?

JIm, thank you for being helpful, when I am ready to order one, I will contact them if they dont have them listed on the webiste

Now, when are going to get this one built, I cant wait to see how it looks finished

Is it resin or plastic?

It is plastic, except of course for the photo etch bits. I have been messing with it a bit, mostly checking out the fit. Right now I am slightly stumped with the interior bucket from the Revell kit, and the fit of the roll cage. I am deep into a couple of other builds, but this is high on the priority list for certain. I am pleased that there is interest..... good to know I am not alone in the building of cool road racers!

All of those parts are included with a slot car body? Amazing!

Yep, all came with it. Now that I know there is interest in this one, I'll get some picks posted in a similar fashion of the BMW, Jag and Porsche along with the Patto's decals I have secured for them. The Bimmer and Jag will be considerably more work in that I'll have to scratch an interior and curbside chassis for them.