Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinning paint for airbrush

Hi i recently bought a spray gun and compressor, I have a dual action and single action gun for painting. Ive buillt model cars since 8yrs old, but not show quality, I am now trying to go back into this hobby and build somewhat decent cars. I have been doing a lot of studying, reading articles, etc. However I took a shot at spraypainting yesterday, and I completely ruined the interior of a 1970 chevelle, there was paint splattered everywhere, horrible. My question is how do I thin testors enamel and acrylic paints for use on a spraygun? and what psi should I paint at ? I am completely lost, can you guys please help me understandwhat 2parts paint 1 part thinner, and all those other crazy terms mean? I am completely new to airbrush painting. I will now be stripping the paint of the chevelle interior, and try again.

DON YOUST HAS 2 GREAT HOW TO DVD'S ONE IS ALL ABOUT AIRBRUSHING WITH TESTORS ENAMEL.HE WALKS YOU THROUGH THE WHOLE AIRBRUSHING PROCESS START TO FINISH.THE OTHER DVD IS ABOUT DETAILING MODEL CARS.THE CHAPTER ON BMF IS IS WELL WORTH THE COST OF THE DVD. HIS DVD'S REALLY HELPED ME GOOD LUCK MIKE

Yeah, the milk comparison is the best one.

Now, to see what that means, go get a glass of milk.. roll the milk around in the glass and see how much it sticks to the wall of the glass.

when you mix your paint, it should have the same viscosity as the milk, and it should coat the side of your paint bottle the same way that the milk coats the side of the glass.

If the paint is 100% coating the side of the paint bottle (i.e. not a little bit transparent) it's too thick.

Too Thin is better then too thick.